Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I got 1.0.1 just now. Waited a few minutes and the update your kindle menu item became available again. It's updating again now.

Maybe 1.0.1 is a fix to the updating code necessary to get 1.0.4?
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #17
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Maybe this thread could be retitled?

1.0.1 to 1.0.4 to Star Trek Love

rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
1.0.4 was installed yesterday. All is well.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #19
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

1.0.1 installed just a bit ago. no new manual. while hustling for a camera for the funnyyupdate screen, it rebooted. rats.

then put it to sleep, and it did it again, 1.0.4 downloaded, got some okay pix. nothing stunning, but the messages are neat, and the strange icons down the right side of the screen are intriguing - hidden mode?

exreader
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Unicode Glyphs test file for Kindle

You can find a Unicode Glyphs test file for Kindle at http://www.freekindlebooks.org under "Unicode". Simple answer is that Kindle doesn't seem to support much other than a few DOS dingbats above U+0250 "Latin" and even then Kindle leaves off the diacriticals on many of the high latin letters. I have Kindle version 1.0 -- does anyone know how the versions have changed and why?
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimad View Post
You can find a Unicode Glyphs test file for Kindle at http://www.freekindlebooks.org under "Unicode". Simple answer is that Kindle doesn't seem to support much other than a few DOS dingbats above U+0250 "Latin" and even then Kindle leaves off the diacriticals on many of the high latin letters. I have Kindle version 1.0 -- does anyone know how the versions have changed and why?
Thanks for the link. I will update the 'special characters' in the MR wiki based on this data. There are discussions of all the Unicode and other formats beginning with a discussion of 'characters' on the wiki. There is also a discussion of 'fonts'. Hopefully this will help in your quest.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried you test on a PC running Mobipocket Reader and found that it supported practically everything. I do not have a Kindle to test this with. Can you capture some pages and display what you see on the device? On the PC I would expect it would depend on the fonts you have loaded.

Is it true that 7E looks like an ndash rather than a ~?
Did you intend to leave out U+00AD from you list?

On a PC I get Greek, Armenian, Coptic, Hebrew, some but not all Arabic, Syriac, Thaana and NKo

All of the Canadian and beyond are poorly formatted.

Beginning at U+2580 the graphics characters are spotty but it is likely the font set.

Dale
Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Can you capture some pages and display what you see on the device?
I enclose screenshots from a Kindle (smallest font size). The first is the first page, the 2nd contains U+0250 and the rest contain the only characters defined above this page. I have version 1.0.4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U01.gif
Views:	803
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	12067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U02.gif
Views:	813
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	12068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U03.gif
Views:	747
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	12069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U04.gif
Views:	739
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	12070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U05.gif
Views:	750
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	12071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U06.gif
Views:	780
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	12072  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With FBReader which Unicode Glyphs get displayed depends on the selected font. I assume the same would be true on a Cybook Gen3.

On the iLiad, Greek looks ok and Cyrillic has only a few missing glyphs (e.g. U+04FA to FF), but coverage above Armenian (above U+0589) is hit and miss.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I enclose screenshots from a Kindle (smallest font size). The first is the first page, the 2nd contains U+0250 and the rest contain the only characters defined above this page. I have version 1.0.4.
That is not very good coverage. I have updated the special character data on the wiki site to reflect your observations. In a few cases I see the wrong characters are sometimes displayed and I did not include those. The special character page uses decimal numbers while your page uses hex numbers.

Note that the really interesting glyphs from a eBook perspective are in the range of 200C hex to 2044 but your original sample did not include these. On my decimal page these are the ones from 8204-8260. They have things like curley quotes, emdashes, etc. You might want to try those ranges and see what you get.

Dale
Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #26
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Note that the really interesting glyphs from a eBook perspective are in the range of 200C hex to 2044
Unfortunately, this range is in the part of the document that is corrupted. I enclose screenshots of all the remaining pages that seem to have defined special characters on them (some are named differently, and some display the wrong character).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U10.gif
Views:	705
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	12084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U11.gif
Views:	697
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	12085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U12.gif
Views:	685
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	12086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U13.gif
Views:	693
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	12087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U14.gif
Views:	713
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	12088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U15.gif
Views:	697
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	12089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_U16.gif
Views:	685
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	12090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kinlde_U17.gif
Views:	701
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	12091  
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm curious. Have you tried other versions of Mobipocket Reader? (That's what the Kindle is, basically.)

Do they exhibit the same mistakes?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #28
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Re: What Glyphs Kindle supports or not

What Glyphs Kindle supports or not is not a "mistake" it is a design decision. Now we may disagree with Amazon about their design decisions -- I would have been much happier if Kindle also had at least support for Greek and Hebrew. Re the test file you can find it at freekindlebooks.org under "Unicode" and if you open it in a recent version of Windows using Mobipocker Reader you will find that Windows implements virtually all the 60,000 or so Unicode Glyphs. So the fact that Kindle only implements about 250 of these is a Kindle design decision. Actually, I take back what I said before about this not being "a mistake". Kindle actually implements a bunch of the high latin Glyphs which are suppose to have diacriticals or marks by leaving off those diacriticals and marks. Now THAT *IS* a mistake! You can choose to implement or not implement a Glyph, but implementing it *incorrectly* -- now that is a very bad idea!
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
What Glyphs Kindle supports or not is not a "mistake" it is a design decision. Now we may disagree with Amazon about their design decisions -- I would have been much happier if Kindle also had at least support for Greek and Hebrew. Re the test file you can find it at freekindlebooks.org under "Unicode" and if you open it in a recent version of Windows using Mobipocker Reader you will find that Windows implements virtually all the 60,000 or so Unicode Glyphs. So the fact that Kindle only implements about 250 of these is a Kindle design decision. Actually, I take back what I said before about this not being "a mistake". Kindle actually implements a bunch of the high latin Glyphs which are suppose to have diacriticals or marks by leaving off those diacriticals and marks. Now THAT *IS* a mistake! You can choose to implement or not implement a Glyph, but implementing it *incorrectly* -- now that is a very bad idea!
Thanks. I didn't know that.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
What Glyphs Kindle supports or not is not a "mistake" it is a design decision.
Another way of saying this is that the Kindle only supports the Caecilia font, for example here is this font's General Punctuation coverage.