Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #166
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
hmm, I'm actually considering publishing an ebook of haiku on Amazon and/or Google Play Books. I've written about a thousand in a year or so, should pickup my favorites, illustrate them and thus publish actually an ebook of haigas.

of course, it's in portuguese and will probably cater for about 2 or 3 people if I can get my sisters to buy it, but what the heck, it's a goal...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #167
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Go for it!
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #168
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
My goal for the past several years has been to complete 5 books a year of various lengths. I've only met that goal once, but it continues to be the one I shoot for.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #169
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank seems an awful ambitious goal Wes.....depends on length and type though I guess...
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #170
kennyc

I've had a few rough weeks with not much completed, but today I think I finally focused on a title for a new poetry collection "The Poet of Utah Park" (see the user poetry thread for the poem) and spendt most of the day today seeing if I was ready. I think I may be. I potentially have enough poems which will have to be vetted and organized but it things are good I might have together in a week or two. Woo-Hoo!

Guess I've written more poems than I'd thought.

Last edited by kennyc; 08-17-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #171
kennyc

Got my poetry book, my 2nd collection "The Poet of Utah Park" finished, arranged, organized and published! Woo-Hoo!

I love e-publishing, if this was traditional the release would be a year away...if that soon!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #172
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Congrat's Kenny - though I'm still not sure how you managed to get from "seeing if I was ready" to "finished, arranged, organized and published" in just three days. I spent that long just working how whether the title should be three pixels down from where I had it on the cover.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #173
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Congrat's Kenny - though I'm still not sure how you managed to get from "seeing if I was ready" to "finished, arranged, organized and published" in just three days. I spent that long just working how whether the title should be three pixels down from where I had it on the cover.

I'm not sure either, but it was a heck of a lot easier the second time as I'd gone through all the decisions, formatting problems, creating a cover image and text, uploading, etc. with the previous book(s). That definitely simplified things. And proofreading was/is much easier for poetry than prose (my most recent publication) by a long shot.

I even took the photo for the cover during that time while walking in the park.

Best wishes!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #174
kennyc

A status follow-up.

I've got my nose to the grindstone here this First of September and the day before the Labor Day Holiday.

Did a monthly status and since I'm feeling the pressure of the approaching end of year I wanted to revisit my goals and see where I'm at.

Nowhere near the word count I'd hoped for (1000 words/day) but am doing maybe 250-350 a day and it's very inconsistent.

I've done reasonably well in my prose - essay/article/fiction totals in that I've completed 34 pieces 4 of them fiction 13 articles and 17 essays

I've completed something like 95 poems.

I have/had a goal of 1 or 2 novels but that is not working but I have gotten a bit done on one including some outlining/story/plotting and writing but really nothing to speak of.

I published a collection of Science articles mentioned above - How Do We Know which includes 13 science articles of all types.

I published a second poetry collection - The Poet of Utah Park which includes 51 (of the 95 that I've written) poems.

I'm reasonably happy with where I'm at but do wish I could up my average daily word count.

You'd think that I might be making some money from this, but nah..... I've probably made enough in these almost two years I've been at this to buy a couple of cheap dinners out. That's okay though, I'm pleased with the progress and will continue to Chase The Dream!

I had a bit of enlightenment earlier this month (which I wrote about elsewhere) when I heard a writer (Shindler's List) discussing how the reward for him was getting the words right and hearing him describe it as almost a drug-like high. I realized that I may have been actually fighting myself with my steadfast refusal to become addicted to anything and have concluded that I need to instead embrace writing. I has helped in getting the work done.

In summary:
34 Prose Pieces completed
95 Poems completed
2 books published

Writing is a Drug. Embrace it!

Now! what about your goals and your status?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #175
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I want to get my 5th novel out, and at least 50 new articles on my primary blog site.
I am almost 90k words in to that novel, but easily ahead of scheduled with my blog.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #176
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I am almost 90k words in to that novel, but easily ahead of scheduled with my blog.
Excellent!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #177
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just wrote the last chapter of book 5. At 97k words the first draft is done. Unlike most author advice you hear out there, my books usually GROW in my first few edit passes mainly because I have a tendency to push on through scenes and leave out key details that I need to add back in. Then my editors will grow through it and stuff will get cut.. and the book will end up around 97-100k words when done. LOL
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #178
kennyc

Congrats Vincent!

I too tend to expand my initial drafts when editing...
Old 09-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #179
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Congrats, VydorScope!

I'm still plodding along.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #180
kennyc

I've been a bit frustrated the last few weeks, particularly with getting new words written, but over the last week or so I've been able to refocus on my non-fiction essay (memoir) work - Growing Up Stories and have edited and hopefully completed 6 pieces bringing the total completed to 11 and about 20K words. I know there are still a lot of holes so I think my next step is to kind of evaluate what I've covered and what I haven't. The scope is sort of broadly my childhood through highschool....basically as titled - the Growing Up Stories.

I know there are a number of things I've either just barely started (maybe just a title/idea) or only have a few words written.

Finishing this collection was one of my top goals at the beginning of the year, I got away from it for a bit partially due to the pain of writing some parts of it as well as distraction by other work, but am trying the focus on it and get it done by the end of the year as originally intended.
Closed Thread