Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #2371
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by polygonica View Post
Reinstalled MrPI 1.6.N. Getting the same issue with installing MrPI packages.

I doubt my hardware is broken. Everything else is working fine. The default browser and reader work fine. KUAL and its extensions are fine (so I also assume MKK is working). Kterm is working (and basic shell commands).

Any ideas?
MrPI v-1.6.N-r13408 from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Also, what 2 packages are you trying to install (name and link you got them from please).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #2372
polygonica
polygonica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
MrPI v-1.6.N-r13408 from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Also, what 2 packages are you trying to install (name and link you got them from please).
Yesterday, I was using MRPI r13359 and trying to install the packages linked from the first post of this thread (kindle-python 0.14.N (touch_pw) r13360, and linkss 0.24.N (touch_pw))

Today:
Upgraded MRPI from r13359 to r13408 (deleted r13359, ejected, restarted (disconnected), added r13408, ejected, restarted (disconnected)).

Then, I tried to install kindle-python-0.14.N-r13420 from NiLuJe's thread (copied the touch_pw .bin to /mrpackages , ejected, restarted (disconnected), used MRPI to install). Seem to be getting the same result -- the installation ends almost immediately and python doesn't seem to be present (not a valid command in kterm). I'd check the logs but ;dm isn't doing anything.
polygonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #2373
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yesterday, I was using MRPI r13359 and trying to install the packages linked from the first post of this thread (kindle-python 0.14.N (touch_pw) r13360, and linkss 0.24.N (touch_pw))

Today:
Upgraded MRPI from r13359 to r13408 (deleted r13359, ejected, restarted (disconnected), added r13408, ejected, restarted (disconnected)).

Then, I tried to install kindle-python-0.14.N-r13420 from NiLuJe's thread (copied the touch_pw .bin to /mrpackages , ejected, restarted (disconnected), used MRPI to install). Seem to be getting the same result -- the installation ends almost immediately and python doesn't seem to be present (not a valid command in kterm). I'd check the logs but ;dm isn't doing anything.
That has worked since the days of the K2.
The OS is damaged.
Re-install 5.6.1.1

Note:
You may have to follow the directions on downgrading the PW-1 first - see the link to the 'how to' that is part of the PW-1 jb instructions.
The link is a little bit hard to see, read carefully the first post, it is in the text.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #2374
polygonica

Quote:
That has worked since the days of the K2.
The OS is damaged.
Re-install 5.6.1.1

Note:
You may have to follow the directions on downgrading the PW-1 first - see the link to the 'how to' that is part of the PW-1 jb instructions.
The link is a little bit hard to see, read carefully the first post, it is in the text.
;dm worked this time. I'm 2 for 3, so I'm just going to assume I made a typo.

Quote:
170113:171506 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::* python 0.14.N I K5 *
170113:171506 FAT: Filesystem error (dev loop0)
170113:171506 fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 241713)

[this goes on for a while]
170113:171507 FAT: Filesystem error (dev loop0)
170113:171507 fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 241713)

170113:171507 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered::Failed to extract package, skipping
170113:171507 system: I mr_installer:eips_print_bottom_centered:estroyin g package . . .
170113:171507 system: I mr_installer:make_rootfs_ro::trying to remount rootfs ro
170113:171507 system: E mntusartition_unmount_failed:artition unmount failed (1)
170113:171507 volumd[1117]: I volumd:unmount_userstore:Userstore unmount failed:
170113:171508 system: W mr_installer:make_rootfs_ro::rootfs is already ro!
170113:171509 system: I mntus:fs_error_recover::File system errors recovered
WELL THEN. Might have to reinstall anyhow.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #2375
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
;dm worked this time. I'm 2 for 3, so I'm just going to assume I made a typo.

WELL THEN. Might have to reinstall anyhow.
It is the last item on my list, failing eMMC.

If you have a Linux (or MacOSx) pc, you can access the raw storage device, zero the first 16 sectors, reboot, and the system will re-build the user storage area.
There are directions here, probably indexed by the sticky 'master index' post.

But you had better be sure to have backed up everything you have on user storage first.
And if you have to do that now, expect to get files with errors.

Re-installing will probably not do much good -
The update system does not verify what it writes.

Also, we have a utility script here that DOES do write, read-back, verify -
Which you really must use now to transfer the Amazon update file to user storage -
Really bad things will happen if you try to run an update image file from failing storage.

Last edited by knc1; 01-13-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #2376
polygonica

Quote:
It is the last item on my list, failing eMMC.

If you have a Linux (or MacOSx) pc, you can access the raw storage device, zero the first 16 sectors, reboot, and the system will re-build the user storage area.
There are directions here, probably indexed by the sticky 'master index' post.

But you had better be sure to have backed up everything you have on user storage first.
And if you have to do that now, expect to get files with errors.

Re-installing will probably not do much good -
The update system does not verify what it writes.

Also, we have a utility script here that DOES do write, read-back, verify -
Which you really must use now to transfer the Amazon update file to user storage -
Really bad things will happen if you try to run an update image file from failing storage.
Will try that next week. Thanks for the help.

Also, nothing important is on user storage. Just my one-line fix to Front Light Master which I've noted down already.

Last edited by polygonica; 01-13-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #2377
s1s2s3s4s5
s1s2s3s4s5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
I have a jailbroken Kindle Oasis with 5.8.7.
I've installed Python and SSH and have got a message as a cover "The ScreenSavers Hack has been successfully installed!".
And since that it is the only cover that I see although I have a lot of different books in Kindle (from Kindle store and other books with covers converted from epub and fb2 to azw2).
I've put the empty file "cover" to listss folder (see printscreen) and have set setting in KUAL / Screen Savers / Screen Savers Behavior / Cover and have restarted the device several times and re-installed both Python and SSH once. Nothing helps. What could be the problem?
s1s2s3s4s5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #2378
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
Curious if the KFX fix needs to be updated? I know something changed because Calibre needed an update to see the latest KFX files on a Kindle. I'm noticing that newer books fail to process the covers.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #2379
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
Curious if the KFX fix needs to be updated? I know something changed because Calibre needed an update to see the latest KFX files on a Kindle. I'm noticing that newer books fail to process the covers.
I also have KFX books with covers that will not display but my issue does not seem to be related to file dates since some of my older books will not process while newer ones do. I suspect the format of the cover is incompatible with the hack. Perhaps when NiLuJe returns to the forum, he can provide some insight.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #2380
aqswde
aqswde began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
I joined this forum just so I could tell you all that you rock. Thank you thank you thank you.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan3008 View Post
Just so people know, there has been a OTA upgrage pushed, which seems to brake this. It somehow disabled KUAL and all the extensions... I had to backup my screensavers, uninstall and reinstall linkss, but its finally worked again... lesson learned, remember to lock the back door...
This fixed it for me, too, except I didn't bother uninstalling before reinstalling. I assume that's somewhat riskier and less advisable, but just letting anyone else know that it worked for me.
aqswde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #2381
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqswde View Post
I joined this forum just so I could tell you all that you rock. Thank you thank you thank you.

Also:
This fixed it for me, too, except I didn't bother uninstalling before reinstalling. I assume that's somewhat riskier and less advisable, but just letting anyone else know that it worked for me.
There is no reason to un-install, the image update already over-wrote the parts you can not see.

The easiest to remember rule is:
Re-install anything that is broke after an Amazon image update.

It has been that way since Amazon started shipping complete images rather than change files (years ago).

This is also why the contents labeled #7 (installing recent firmware version) comes before the contents labeled #8 (installing add-ins) in the current jail break.

Last edited by knc1; 01-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #2382
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
I've noticed the same, 3 books I've purchased in the last week don't show covers.
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #2383
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintri View Post
I've noticed the same, 3 books I've purchased in the last week don't show covers.
Each of you with this problem ::

Which ss add-in are you using?
Full name and link please.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #2384
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
I might be mixing my terms (apologies), I know when KFX started cropping up there was a hot fix, that's what I meant with "fix". Unfortunately I renamed the folder so don't know what it's original folder name was.

Since you asked I went looking for what release I was using, etc and decided to check against what's linked in post 1. release r13390.

So to be safe I tried that release (what I had was been using was r13265).

All that to say, r13390 still exhibits the behavior. On a newly purchased book, no cover processed.

Hopefully that helps?
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #2385
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I might be mixing my terms (apologies), I know when KFX started cropping up there was a hot fix, that's what I meant with "fix". Unfortunately I renamed the folder so don't know what it's original folder name was.

Since you asked I went looking for what release I was using, etc and decided to check against what's linked in post 1. release r13390.

So to be safe I tried that release (what I had was been using was r13265).

All that to say, r13390 still exhibits the behavior. On a newly purchased book, no cover processed.

Hopefully that helps?
Does the book actually have a cover in the document itself?
Or is this an Amazon purchase where the "cover" is a separate file?

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch