Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
epub for android?????

hello all
i had created a fixed layout epub for ipad,iphone and ipod touch and it works well on all three devices but when i had synced it in android (using ibooks,kindle and in nook) found that it had distorted completely(with the back ground image on the one side of the page and text on another page)
Any help would be appreciated
thank you
me too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
me too
Connoisseur
me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.me too is no ebook tyro.

sample please

hello all
can any one provide me with an epub sample that works fine on android device????
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
What did you use to create it? I use Sigil. It has options to validate, check for errors, check for well-formed format, etc. Give it a try.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
me too
Connoisseur

i had???

i didnt used any tool to create it ,i had hand coded the entire epub
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by me too View Post
i didnt used any tool to create it ,i had hand coded the entire epub
Wow. That is something.
Way out of my league.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
me too
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Way out of my league.
hello SeaKing
Its not out of your league ,you too can do that ,i had learned it from here.
thanks to all(AlexBell,WSwolf,Pdurrant and many) who helped me through my way
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
me too
Connoisseur

i have to publish my book to kindle

hello all
i was little confused of amazon kindle(as it have many products),i really wanted to publish to kindle direct publishing platform,i really wanted to know do we want the kindle fire or some version of kindle hardware reader to test whether our epub is correct with its alignment
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
There is a Kindle Previewer program for Windows, but if buying an actual Kindle is feasible then yes, that's the best way to see exactly how it will look. I would get the eink Kindle rather than the Fire if you already have access to a tablet, because you can install the Kindle app on the tablet.

Something that concerns me are the phrases "fixed layout" and "background image". Trying to get the same layout on different devices, of differing sizes, and with different formats (Kindle mobi & epub)... you might find it impossible to get the results you are looking for in all cases. It worked on iPad, etc because iBooks handles things the same way on all iOS devices, but I've seen what happens when someone designs a book based on how it looks in iBooks then tries to release it to other platforms / formats. It wasn't pretty. It was basically like you described - background image went one way, text went the other, among other messes.

I wish you luck.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
me too
Connoisseur

success

hello all
the android devices can only support .mobi file,i had published my book to amazon ,thanks to all who participated with me in the discussion and feel free if you have any queries ,i am always ready to help
Thank you
Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Something that concerns me are the phrases "fixed layout" and "background image". Trying to get the same layout on different devices, of differing sizes, and with different formats (Kindle mobi & epub)... you might find it impossible to get the results you are looking for in all cases.
I concur. I've noticed that the pagination on my TF300 in landscape is vastly different from that of an iPad in portrait, and neither is quite the same as a Kindle or iRiver device. The result is something like a website designed to be displayed at a specific size; if your screen is too narrow everything gets wrapped onto the next line and the layout breaks.

You might want to try going back to HTML 2- era design with simple tiled background images (if you use them at all) and removing formatting codes that require a specific page width or height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me too View Post
hello all
the android devices can only support .mobi file,i had published my book to amazon ,thanks to all who participated with me in the discussion and feel free if you have any queries ,i am always ready to help
Thank you
Do you mean your device, or all android devices? Cause I can get a shot of an H. P. Lovecraft ePub on FBReader on my tablet, which is running Android. It isn't even rooted. Maybe your device is locked in to one specific app store that can't download a proper ePub reader, but that isn't all devices.

Last edited by teh603; 10-17-2012 at 04:06 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
me too
Connoisseur

my device is samsung tablet with icecream sandwitch version,in have kindle,kobo,ebook and many app installed
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Moon Reader+
Try using the already mentioned FBreader, or Moon+ Reader or many, many other apps. There's plenty of support for formats other than Mobi out there.
Serapeum is offline   Reply With Quote