Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Talk Me Into Buying The Touch

Being a smartphone owner (4g and 3.7"), I have struggled to pull the trigger.

My biggest reason would be a cheap way to get into the IOS market. Other than that, I do not use my phone for games or watching any video. And I bet music would not sound all that much different with the Touch.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

My biggest reason would be a cheap way to get into the IOS market. Other than that, I do not use my phone for games or watching any video. And I bet music would not sound all that much different with the Touch.
So you have something to use while your phone's charging? Of course, something like the Galaxy Player would work just as well. That's pretty much the only reason I got my iPod Touch - so I have something to use while I'm charging my iPhone at night. I use the iPhone for reading during day when I'm out and about (it's more portable and less conspicuous than an e-ink reader) while I use the iPod Touch for reading at night.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I use my iPod Touch pretty much the way my husband uses his iPhone, without the monthly charges. Plenty of places have wifi nowadays, so the lack of 3G isn't a big deal for me. I'm able to text back and forth to my husband using Messages on my Touch as though it was a phone. I use it during the day where I have wifi to read email and check the weather forecast and chat on IRC and search/surf the web and all that jazz, but mostly I bought it for listening to audiobooks and reading library books.

I didn't have a cell phone or an MP3 player, so the iPod Touch was perfect for me, covering both needs. Since you already have a smartphone, I'm not sure the Touch is going to be much use for you.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Why do you want iOS? Wouldn't it be better to stick with the same platform you already have?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Why do you want iOS? Wouldn't it be better to stick with the same platform you already have?
Or just switch to an iPhone?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
If he has a 4G LTE phone and can take advantage of the extra speed, the iPhone isn't really a good alternative.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I use my iPod Touch pretty much the way my husband uses his iPhone, without the monthly charges. Plenty of places have wifi nowadays, so the lack of 3G isn't a big deal for me. I'm able to text back and forth to my husband using Messages on my Touch as though it was a phone. I use it during the day where I have wifi to read email and check the weather forecast and chat on IRC and search/surf the web and all that jazz, but mostly I bought it for listening to audiobooks and reading library books.

I didn't have a cell phone or an MP3 player, so the iPod Touch was perfect for me, covering both needs. Since you already have a smartphone, I'm not sure the Touch is going to be much use for you.
How does one get an iphone without a monthly charge? Is there not a contract agreement upon purchase? Or am I reading your post wrong, he has a charge but you don't since it is not applicable with the Touch.

Last edited by robertc88; 02-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
While not savvy enough to know which off the top of my head, I am sure after research that apps exclusive to ios, there would be quite a few of interest to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
It would not be a switch, I would like both and the Touch is the cheapest way to access ios apps without a contract charge one incurs with the iphone.

I would have thirty days through Best Buy to see if ios is something I would like to have.

Last edited by robertc88; 02-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
How does one get an iphone without a monthly charge?
For GSM, you can buy it off-contract either new or used. Of course, if you want brand-new, you have to pay full price for the phone which is:
iPhone 3GS 8GB: $375
iPhone 4 8GB: $549
iPhone 4S 16GB, 32GB, 64GB: $649, $749, $849

It's been reported that Apple gets a much higher subsidy compared to any other manufacturer. Heck, I wouldn't be at all surprised if carriers are paying the actual difference between MSRP and contract-pricing. That subsidy is what's keeping monthly charges high.

That's why when the iPhone 4S was released, I bought one, sold it and used the proceeds to buy myself a Samsung Nexus S and a Samsung Galaxy S 4G (it's crazy what people are willing to pay to get the phone near release). If I'm to pay the same rates as current-gen iPhone owners who received huge subsidies for their phones, I'm going to make sure I receive the subsidy built-in to the monthly plan rates, too.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-28-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
How does one get an iphone without a monthly charge? Is there not a contract agreement upon purchase? Or am I reading your post wrong, he has a charge but you don't since it is not applicable with the Touch.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the second. I get most of the functionality of an iPhone with my iPod Touch and there are no monthly charges for the Touch. I can text, Skype, etc. using wifi, which takes the place of the phone functions of the iPhone.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the second. I get most of the functionality of an iPhone with my iPod Touch and there are no monthly charges for the Touch. I can text, Skype, etc. using wifi, which takes the place of the phone functions of the iPhone.
Get an appleID and you can also iMessage with any of your friends who also use iOS. iMessage works on Touch and iPad, across wifi.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Get an appleID and you can also iMessage with any of your friends who also use iOS. iMessage works on Touch and iPad, across wifi.
Google Voice is a better option than iMessage. It allows you to send text messages to regular cellphones and are not just limited to iOS users. Besides, I believe she already mentioned sending texts to her husband via iMessage.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic

Thanks for replying but I am not convinced, probably will never be.

Another drawback for me is the screen size. If that changes in the future, maybe I will mess around with IOS apps then.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have two devices - an iPod touch 4 and a Samsung Galaxy Player 4. The iPod is strictly for home use (BBC Radio, Pandora, audiobooks). I got it because it was cheap ($145) and low cost speaker docks are readily available. The same can't be said for Android devices. I have several docks scattered about the house and take the iPod with me as I move about for uninterrupted listening.

The Galaxy is my primary pocket net device because it has better features than the iPod and is well suited for my activities. Both devices have their place and I'm quite happy with each.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote