Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #91
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
I see the same issue that I had with the prior. Funny a different state and different CVS upscale drug store and it still has the same issue. I bet all of them this way and most buyers are unaware of this issue with the panel.

Craig

Coby

Maylong

Last edited by tipstir; 03-12-2011 at 01:15 AM.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #92
drc66
drc66 began at the beginning.

Device: craig
Has anybody had success getting flash 10.1 to run on their Craig? I rooted mine and I have access to the market. I installed flash but the browser doesn't see it. Anybody have any ideas for me?
drc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #93
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Maybe I just got lucky, but I've never seen that issue with the screen, tipstir.

4 hours charging is typical, according to the manual.

One thing I discovered that I'm pretty happy with is that it works with Google Docs. It's obviosuly a little bit of a pain in the neck to peck at the Android keyboard in Docs, but I don't think it'd be so bad with Graffiti or with a USB keyboard. Makes it more useful, IMO.

A friend of mine almost bought one today. She was going to use it as a cheaper alternative to a Nook Color. The problem was that she wanted it for magazines, and the Nook software doesn't support magazines. You can only view them in the Nook Color. So if people are looking at this and thinking that they can buy one instead of an NC, that will work for books, but not for magazines.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #94
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

So yo don't seen any fine lines around the panel.

Power Package

The CM3.apk is in that package above. If you install and run it just to see if you don't get that effect. If you do then you have the same panel issue when the screen goes into a terminal mode.

Download QuickOffice it's free would allow you to read PDF Mags on the tablet.

Well I am not in the terminal mode but my music videos play very well. MovieFone Movie Trailers Play full screen. Smooth.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #95
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
So yo don't seen any fine lines around the panel.

Power Package

The CM3.apk is in that package above. If you install and run it just to see if you don't get that effect. If you do then you have the same panel issue when the screen goes into a terminal mode.

Download QuickOffice it's free would allow you to read PDF Mags on the tablet.

Well I am not in the terminal mode but my music videos play very well. MovieFone Movie Trailers Play full screen. Smooth.
I don't see any fine lines around the panel, but when I launched CM3, the left side of the text was cut off by a millimeter or two. Very strange, because I haven't noticed that in any other apps...
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #96
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I don't see any fine lines around the panel, but when I launched CM3, the left side of the text was cut off by a millimeter or two. Very strange, because I haven't noticed that in any other apps...
I have noticed that text cutoff on the left edge of mine, too (landscape with "Craig" logo on top). Looks either like a classic video adjustment issue (hsync on LCD possible?), or imprecise placement of the LCD panel within the bezel, which I suspect is more likely considering the price point. Simple fix: rotate 180 degrees for apps where it matters like a terminal session

But then the placement of the top layer on the screen (protector? anti-glare? digitizer?) might be more noticeable as there is a gap of about that same 1mm or so on that side. Hmm... maybe that is also imprecise screen placement issue - everything shifted that way? Oh well, for <$100 we may have to overlook the "edge cases"
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #97
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Thanks roc, good observation and technical report of your findings! But they all suffer from this and thus I believe Craig Electronics must be aware of this issue and so does CVS Corp. CVS should drop the price even lower otherwise some people might feel they got bum deal. Besides that defect the tablet runs very well for a $77 tablet plays all my music videos very sharp looking using Meridian Player and the sound is very loud.

Those tablet that were sold under Flytouch 1, Maylong and Panimage aren't perfect either, back-light bleed issues, dirt/dust on the panel showing up as dead pixels. Simple fix is to remove the top layer and clean it.

Still for the money I have to agree with you the tablet offers you a lot from CVS Drug Store. And some extra perks you have it rooted and Official Market on it.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #98
bhartman36
Wizard

Shad is taking suggestions for what should be included in the next firmware release. I'm taking suggestions to pass on to him. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #99
roc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Thanks roc, good observation and technical report of your findings! But they all suffer from this and thus I believe Craig Electronics must be aware of this issue and so does CVS Corp.
. . .
Still for the money I have to agree with you the tablet offers you a lot from CVS Drug Store. And some extra perks you have it rooted and Official Market on it.
I do have to revise my observations a bit - had a chance today to look at it closely in full sunlight. The edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around, so that in itself does not seem to indicate a general shifted placement of the screen. But a shift still seems likely to be the case if that layer was put on after that point. I don't know how else that obvious left edge text cutoff would be explained on a number of different units bought from widely scattered CVS stores (mine was purchased in Durham, NC) aside from a manufacturing defect that positions them that way (plastic molding process just a bit off?). We need to look at some other app displays where we can see that kind of detail - would need some obvious differentiated parts of that edge of the app's display, and see if they "appear" as the tablet is rotated to move that edge view around to other sides of the screen.

I made one attempt last week to open my unit by taking out the 2 tiny screws on the end where all the connections are, but it got kind of hung up as I started trying to separate the front bezel going along the bottom edge opposite the CRAIG logo, and I was afraid that I would start breaking off the internal plastic snap tabs that likely hold it together. I think I will take another look in bright light with my reading glasses on to see if I get any better view of what is holding it together at that point - would like to see the screen "bare" along with my original idea to see if anything with the wifi antenna is causing the issues I am having with frequent loss of connectivity in my house even when the tablet is stationary on a stand.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #100
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky1 View Post
I can't tell you how intrigued I've been by both this thread and a similar one on Slatedriod. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this tablet, I work at CVS and with my discount and extra bucks, I can get it for about $60

I'm definitely worried about it being worth the time and money but after reading these threads I think it'll be fun to take on the challenge. I planned on doing it last week but this got put on the back burner due to some Microsoft Windows 7 issues I had to work out. I am bummed about not being able to play angry birds though. I have a 5 year old who loves to play on my phone but he's been sneaking calls to people in my phone book because he likes to see the "android guy" so I really wanted something he could use as well. No such luck on the angry birds yet huh?

Either way, thanks for all the info here and I'm excited to see if I can get this thing tweaked
How many can you buy at $60? I've met a few of your co-workers on this side who told me they dig in pile to grab their tablets.

I am keeping mine at $77 and I got it rooted and after a couple of cache cleaning Market works. Thanks to the OP!

This was so easy to Root and add Market!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #101
roc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Shad is taking suggestions for what should be included in the next firmware release. I'm taking suggestions to pass on to him. Let me know what you think.
How about an easy way to set up wifi for ad-hoc?

TIA
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #102
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
How about an easy way to set up wifi for ad-hoc?

TIA
Alright. That's on the list.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #103
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc66 View Post
Has anybody had success getting flash 10.1 to run on their Craig? I rooted mine and I have access to the market. I installed flash but the browser doesn't see it. Anybody have any ideas for me?
I've tried the same thing, with no luck. If anyone has a solution, please let us know.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #104
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
I do have to revise my observations a bit - had a chance today to look at it closely in full sunlight. The edge gap of the top layer looks even all the way around, so that in itself does not seem to indicate a general shifted placement of the screen. But a shift still seems likely to be the case if that layer was put on after that point. I don't know how else that obvious left edge text cutoff would be explained on a number of different units bought from widely scattered CVS stores (mine was purchased in Durham, NC) aside from a manufacturing defect that positions them that way (plastic molding process just a bit off?). We need to look at some other app displays where we can see that kind of detail - would need some obvious differentiated parts of that edge of the app's display, and see if they "appear" as the tablet is rotated to move that edge view around to other sides of the screen.

I made one attempt last week to open my unit by taking out the 2 tiny screws on the end where all the connections are, but it got kind of hung up as I started trying to separate the front bezel going along the bottom edge opposite the CRAIG logo, and I was afraid that I would start breaking off the internal plastic snap tabs that likely hold it together. I think I will take another look in bright light with my reading glasses on to see if I get any better view of what is holding it together at that point - would like to see the screen "bare" along with my original idea to see if anything with the wifi antenna is causing the issues I am having with frequent loss of connectivity in my house even when the tablet is stationary on a stand.
I going to let CVS Corp know about this issue. I feel they can either give those with this issue $50 dollar CVS Gift Card or get us tablet without this issue with the panel. Sure I could go and replace it but I am sure there are more like them around. It's like a fine line around the edges. The anti-glare layer is not position correctly.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #105
Pete-1818
Pete-1818 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Craig CMP738a

Hello,
Pickup one from CVS with 25% discount...sweet.

To root, I did the following
Downloaded from file CMP-738a-update-2011-03-03-rls4.2.7z
rename file to update.img
copied file to root dic tablet
Clear Cache
Reboot
Want into Android Market...did not buy any apps

It seems everything fine! But how do I check to see if I am on Android 2.1 and everything is fine.

Thank you for all of your help!!

Last edited by Pete-1818; 03-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Pete-1818 is offline   Reply With Quote