Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Is there any way to change the order of the books in a "Collection"?

I know I can manually move them around by hand, but what I really want is to just order them by author. I can do it in the Sony Connect program by clicking on the title bar, but it has no effect on the order on the reader.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michael
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you just want to see all the books you have on the Reader by author, you can choose "By Author" on the Reader's Main Menu.

Other than that I think you're stuck with creating your collections and dragging them around inside them.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to do, so if you want to clarify, I'll be glad to take another swipe at answering (if somebody else doesn't first ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
If you hit the Menu button enough, you get to the top menu, which lets you list all your books by author or date--but not title for some reason. When you re-order your books that way, does it re-order the books in your collection, too?
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let me explain in more detail.

I have about 150 "books" on my reader. About a third of them are short stories from fictionwise, and the rest are full length books.

Since this many books makes me half to browse through 15 pages when I sort by title, author or date, I have created 5 collections for my library to help me browse more easily.

Short Stories
Science Fiction
Mysteries
Misc

With the exception of the short stories collection, the other ones have about 10-50 books each in them. I would like the short story collection to be sorted by author and the other to be sorted by Title. As it stands now, the Connect software sorts them manually, which makes collection pretty useless.

I suppose I could keep less books on the reader, but these 150 don't even fill up 2/3 of the internal storage. The hardware is designed to carry that many books. The problem is the software.

Does that make more sense? Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

Last edited by kaufman; 11-22-2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Hmm. I have an idea, but I should try it first. I'll get back to you later.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you always want to see a particular group of books sorted by author, you could include the author's name in the title (assuming these are books you've created yourself, rather than commercial ones you have no control over).

Eg, rather than calling a book:

Oliver Twist

call it:

Dickens, Charles - Oliver Twist

A bit of a "horrible hack", I know, but it should work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
If you always want to see a particular group of books sorted by author, you could include the author's name in the title (assuming these are books you've created yourself, rather than commercial ones you have no control over).

Eg, rather than calling a book:

Oliver Twist

call it:

Dickens, Charles - Oliver Twist

A bit of a "horrible hack", I know, but it should work.

That would work in the main section, but not in the collections. They don't seem to e sorted by anything.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry - my misunderstanding. I always use the SD card for storage, rather than main memory, so wasn't aware of the limitations of collections. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Sorry - my misunderstanding. I always use the SD card for storage, rather than main memory, so wasn't aware of the limitations of collections. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
No problem.

I recently switched from a memory card to internal storage for books for three reasons:

1) Everything is (or seems) much faster. Esp when opening a book for the first time.

2) Even with 150 books, the internal storage is only 2/3 filled, so why not make use of it.

3) Collections. Which at this point are not too useful.

I still keep music on the card, and I keep the card installed so I can get new books on it when I am on the road with my Macbook.

Michael