Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
KA1 Screen Scratches?

Hi,

I just got my KA1 a few weeks back. I keep it in my bag with the impression that the screen can at least withstand scratches (my bag doesn't have point objects) but checking my screen now, I can definitely see some minor scratches

It's not's noticeable when I am using it but whenever a letter is exactly in the scratch, I tend to wipe the screen off trying to take it away. I am just disappointed as I thought this won't happen in KA1.... my Paperwhite never had an issue and I am treating it the same as I treat my KA1.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unlike Smartphones, eBook readers do not have scratch resistant screens at all. For transport you should use a case that prevents such things.

The main problem with scratches is the front light, if the light layer atop the screen gets any damage you'll have glaring spots while front light is turned on.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
Paperwhite never had an issue and I am treating it the same as I treat my KA1.
Your Paperwhite has been damned lucky. If you are sensitive even to minor scratches, you should never put your eInk-Reader in a bag without some kind of protection. The KA1 might be more vulnerable because of the flush screen.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
I feel your pain. I have an Aura One, which is always in its sleeve when not in use because I also have a Glo HD which, for the brief time it was out of its hard case, had something fall on it. So now there's the tiniest of dents in the screen which shows up as a little shadow in the right light. It's maddening.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
The KA1 might be more vulnerable because of the flush screen.
I think trekk is correct with this statement. It's one reason I'd never want a flush screen on my reader, even the smallest screen imperfection drives me nuts. I'm the same with all my electronic devices, even about the glass screen I place over my phone.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You'll need to get a cover for your KA1 before you subject it to getting scratched some more. I am surprised that you'd put your KA1 in your bag with nothing covering the screen. I'm also surprised that you would not get a cover for your KA1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You'll need to get a cover for your KA1 before you subject it to getting scratched some more. I am surprised that you'd put your KA1 in your bag with nothing covering the screen. I'm also surprised that you would not get a cover for your KA1.
My bad. I really thought the screen was at least scratch resistant. Too late for me to panic about it now...
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think plenty of MR members don't use cases or covers. I'm one of them. Other than the cover that came with my 505, I've never used a cover on any reader and I just sling it in my bag every day and I've never had a noticeable scratch in ten years of carrying my readers around. I wouldn't have thought to get a cover for a KA1.

OTOH from what I remember of the original Kobo Aura that seemed to have a soft screen layer worth protecting...

I'd say it depends entirely on the device.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I think plenty of MR members don't use cases or covers.
I don't use one for reading, but I have one for transport or just so it won't collect dust while not in use. Dust is evil, removing dust can cause scratches too, if you use a cloth to inadvertently rub the dust particles in... the cloth may be soft but the dust particles may not necessarily be.

My H2O actually came with a tiny scratched area on the bezel straight out of & caused by the original packaging - cardboard had a rough spot in the same spot where the bezel scratch was, so device and cardboard roughed each other up on the way from factory -> store -> delivery -> my home.

I still kept the device since the display/frontlight itself was topnotch, and that's the only thing that matters.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
pastaenthusiast
pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have a small scratch on my KA1 as well- I preordered and received the kobo before the case and in the week or so it took to receive the case I got a scratch! Fortunately it's barely noticeable, but I was annoyed. Definitely get a case and use it all the time.
pastaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I think plenty of MR members don't use cases or covers. I'm one of them. Other than the cover that came with my 505, I've never used a cover on any reader and I just sling it in my bag every day and I've never had a noticeable scratch in ten years of carrying my readers around. I wouldn't have thought to get a cover for a KA1.

OTOH from what I remember of the original Kobo Aura that seemed to have a soft screen layer worth protecting...

I'd say it depends entirely on the device.
The light layer is different than the screen. The light layer is more prone to scratches. So yes, you should have a cover when it goes out and about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote