Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
OMGosh, this is wonderful! I'll check them out! I'm seeing this forum is quite active. I didn't realize it until I started looking into "new Posts" and seeing so many up-to-date posts I figured I'd keep trying to connect.

Really appreciate all you other bookworms, yeehaw!! Denise
Keep in mind that this list is not all-inclusive. I'm sure there are other libraries that also allow non-residents to purchase library cards.

The library from that list with the best bang for the buck is the Brooklyn Public Library. It has a fairly large collection of both ebooks and audiobooks (the numbers in the chart).

I listed Hennepin to point out that they don't allow digital checkouts, so it's rather pointless to get a non-resident card from them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #32
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Keep in mind that this list is not all-inclusive. I'm sure there are other libraries that also allow non-residents to purchase library cards.

The library from that list with the best bang for the buck is the Brooklyn Public Library. It has a fairly large collection of both ebooks and audiobooks (the numbers in the chart).

I listed Hennepin to point out that they don't allow digital checkouts, so it's rather pointless to get a non-resident card from them.
I thought there were others most likely. One thing I can do, is first find out if they allow non-residents to purchase 6 months etc., then look at their library2go for authors I love to read, and similar authors etc.

Thanks again, I am going to also check out the reciprocal libraries. Things will work out, and legally Also, my library, after explaining what happened to them, they extended me for a month. I'm moving back in the Spring if all goes well though, so no worries really Glad I still have access for a time since I am almost finished my Collen Coble "Twilight at Blueberrie Barrens"
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #33
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

These are all University Reciprocal libraries. I don't think they are for the general public but feedback welcome:

https://uwaterloo.ca/library/list-us...rowing-program

here I googled "public reciprocal" libraries and I think with these you have to live "in the State, and even the area, but be a non'resident, or not permanent, feedback also welcome if I've misunderstood:

https://uwaterloo.ca/library/list-us...rowing-program
Old 01-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'm seeing this forum is quite active. I didn't realize it until I started looking into "new Posts" and seeing so many up-to-date posts I figured I'd keep trying to connect.
This is a very active and large international forum. The owner of MobileRead is from Switzerland and our moderators (identified by their green names) come from many different countries.

Be sure to check out all of the forums and sub-forums here to see the many categories we have. Some of the forums are very technical and others aren't. Not only do we discuss ebooks and audiobooks, but we also discuss the formats, platforms, and devices used in order to read and listen to these books.

And if you just want to chit-chat with people, visit the Lounge for non-book entertainment.

Explore the site...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #35
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
This is a very active and large international forum. The owner of MobileRead is from Switzerland and our moderators (identified by their green names) come from many different countries.

Be sure to check out all of the forums and sub-forums here to see the many categories we have. Some of the forums are very technical and others aren't. Not only do we discuss ebooks and audiobooks, but we also discuss the formats, platforms, and devices used in order to read and listen to these books.

And if you just want to chit-chat with people, visit the lounge for non-book entertainment.

Explore the site...
Well that's EXACTLY where I wanna be ty sooooo much!!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #36
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
While I'm here, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows whether or not you can gain a library card in another county of your own State (online) if you live in a place that does have a library, but only one, and VERY limited?

Just wondering if any States allow for that "special" privilege?

I did write to California Libraries main site asking. But thought I may get an answer here from someone that has been able to do this. I will let you know what I find out in case there are any others maybe seeking the same kind of info
IT is completely state dependent. There are states that take out of state applications (there is always a fee for these cards but they often have good selections). In Texas they just started letting us get cards at other libraries. Unfortunately, in some cases you have to DRIVE THERE and apply in person and the card is then good for a year. You'll have to ask your local library. They can probably tell you how to cross-apply at other libraries.

But if your card expired and you've moved, you usually have to show proof of address to get that card renewed or fill out a different "out of area" type of card. In Texas I can check out fewer books in the "out of area" libraries than I can in my own.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #37
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
IT is completely state dependent. There are states that take out of state applications (there is always a fee for these cards but they often have good selections). In Texas they just started letting us get cards at other libraries. Unfortunately, in some cases you have to DRIVE THERE and apply in person and the card is then good for a year. You'll have to ask your local library. They can probably tell you how to cross-apply at other libraries.

But if your card expired and you've moved, you usually have to show proof of address to get that card renewed or fill out a different "out of area" type of card. In Texas I can check out fewer books in the "out of area" libraries than I can in my own.
Thanks BMB,

I'm researching today, off and on, to see which libraries I might get a membership for a fee, and if I have to go there in person. That's the deal-breaker for me.

It's a huge job finding one that has the selection of books I would like to be able to check-out but as I mentioned somewhere, I am moving back to my home-town in Spring, if all goes as planned, and I will just renew my card then

Thank you again for your input!! Denise
Old 01-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #38
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't have a problem with having to prove residence and renew every few years. I just wish they had a system for email reminders that the card will expire soon.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #39
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't have a problem with having to prove residence and renew every few years. I just wish they had a system for email reminders that the card will expire soon.
Careful what you wish for. My library sends reminders--and always gets it WRONG. The last reminder I got said my card was about to expire. I went in and I still had 3 months left. The one before that came AFTER it expired...so, yanno. It might be better to set your own reminder...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #40
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Careful what you wish for. My library sends reminders--and always gets it WRONG. The last reminder I got said my card was about to expire. I went in and I still had 3 months left. The one before that came AFTER it expired...so, yanno. It might be better to set your own reminder...
I'm not sure how long my card is supposed to last. The first time it expired after only one year, but it's been longer than that since my last renewal, so they must have increased the amount of time it's good for. I guess I will find out when I am suddenly unable to check out books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #41
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
The Brooklyn Public Library will let you tie their card to both NYPL and Queens. There is a significant amount of overlap between Brooklyn and NYPL. The Queens library currently uses there Overdrive catalog mostly for foreign language material. Axis360 is the one you would use for new English material. They also have a good selection of magazines through Zinio. Brooklyn and NYPL have a ton of other online resources including the complete historical record for the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. I lost a couple weekends looking through that.

Last edited by Red Falcon; 01-03-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
The Brooklyn Public Library will let you tie their card to both NYPL and Queens. There is a significant amount of overlap between Brooklyn and NYPL. The Queens library currently uses there Overdrive catalog mostly for foreign language material. Axis360 is the one you would use for new English material. They also have a good selection of magazines through Zinio. Brooklyn and NYPL have a ton of other online resources including the complete historical record for the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. I lost a couple weekends looking through that.
Are you saying the Brooklyn card is good at other libraries?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Are you saying the Brooklyn card is good at other libraries?

Sent from my XT1528
You can use a Brooklyn card at the NYPL if you show up in person. I think you need a separate card for Queens, but your Brooklyn card can be your credential.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I forgot to mention this, but reciprocal library cards are free.

Here are some of the libraries that allow out-of-state residents to purchase library cards:

Non-Resident Library Cards --> ebooks -- audiobooks --> updated 03 Jan 2017
  • Hennepin Co (MN) -- $60/year --> 122,020 -- 19,358 --> digital checkouts NOT allowed
According to this page the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative (HCPLC - Tampa Florida) allows non-residents to pay a $100 annual fee for a library card with access to eBooks. They have 126,462 eBooks and 13,625 audiobooks in their OverDrive collection along with access to Zinio, Axis 360, Freading, Hoopla and other providers.

I haven't looked into this any further and don't know if there are any limitations.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You can use a Brooklyn card at the NYPL if you show up in person. I think you need a separate card for Queens, but your Brooklyn card can be your credential.
Gotcha. I knew I was misunderstanding. I already knew about NYPL but not Queens. I'll have to tell my friend who is in NYC. She has just started using libraries there.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote