Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Smashwords has always been a mess, and what is terribly sad is that the site owner desires that it remain so.
Any reason given for why that is? What is his/her argument?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Smashwords has always been a mess, and what is terribly sad is that the site owner desires that it remain so.

If they would implement just a simple keyword system to tag content I would buy there over Amazon. And evidently this has been brought up consistently but will never happen with the current ownership. Kind of like Steve Jobs and large screen phones.
Smashwords needs to do away with Word documents being used as the source. They need to use ePub as the source. That way, the author can make sure the eBook is well made.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
There has been reports that ARE is refunding 2017s advertising money. So that's something.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #64
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
That's up to the author, John. We have that ability now if we want it. I think the "mess" was the inability to use tags so searching is...random. Amazon used to allow tags, but like anything else, authors abused that system too. It does get a little pointless, but tags could help with searches. Right now you have to pretty much know the author or publisher you are looking for.

There are some good small publishers at Smashwords, but you have to look for them specifically. I think Gemma Halliday is still there and I used to keep a running list of some of the ones I'd had good luck with, but I honestly don't shop there much anymore. (Gemma Halliday books are also on Amazon and Kobo and they are usually couponable). There were a couple of fantasy publishers I used to keep track of but I can't remember the names off the top (or the bottom) of my head.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is already a private Facebook group of authors getting together and talking with an attorney. So looks like a class action lawsuit maybe be forming.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

This is from SB Sarah:

Quote:
Regarding pre-orders, I have received information from multiple individuals that if you pre-ordered a book,*you can request a refund but you must do so by 1 January 2017. You can open a support ticket or email service AT allromanceebooks.com*and include information about your purchase, such as order number, date, and/or a screen shot or copy of your receipt.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #67
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It bothers me that they are treating the customers better than the authors. Not because I hate customers, but because it leaves me with a feeling that they might try to open up shop again so they want to make sure their customer base is happy...but they don't seem to feel that way about the authors! I'm sure they will keep customer emails so that if they DO ever open shop again, they have a base...that's just ugly.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
That's up to the author, John. We have that ability now if we want it. I think the "mess" was the inability to use tags so searching is...random. Amazon used to allow tags, but like anything else, authors abused that system too. It does get a little pointless, but tags could help with searches. Right now you have to pretty much know the author or publisher you are looking for.
Part of the mess is the source being from Word. We want to have good quality eBooks, not some random conversion where we're lucky if they work properly.

Every eBook store is rather poor for searching and that includes Amazon as one of the poorest.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #69
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It bothers me that they are treating the customers better than the authors. Not because I hate customers, but because it leaves me with a feeling that they might try to open up shop again so they want to make sure their customer base is happy...but they don't seem to feel that way about the authors! I'm sure they will keep customer emails so that if they DO ever open shop again, they have a base...that's just ugly.
They are treating both absolutely horrible. Closing tommorow. Many will lose their books forever. DRM books have be unaccessible since this started. I know several that never downloaded anything they just use ARE mobile app to read their books on. They are at a lost what to do.

That advertisers and pre-orders are being refunded only if they put in a request is just dirty and criminal.

No one is being treated good in this mess.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Smashwords needs to do away with Word documents being used as the source. They need to use ePub as the source. That way, the author can make sure the eBook is well made.
Smashwords now allows users to upload their own epubs. I was just told yesterday they have allowed this for some time.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They are treating both absolutely horrible. Closing tommorow. Many will lose their books forever. DRM books have be unaccessible since this started. I know several that never downloaded anything they just use ARE mobile app to read their books on. They are at a lost what to do.

That advertisers and pre-orders are being refunded only if they put in a request is just dirty and criminal.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Didn't you tell them to backup their eBooks? Sorry, but I do not feel for anyone who has not bothered to download their eBooks. There's no excuse not to.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #72
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:

Sent from my Nexus 7
Very true. I'm just concerned they will open up shop and attempt to draw customers back someday. There is ample reason to allow people time to download--there is NO REASON to continue selling books when they have no intention of paying the author for those books.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #73
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Smashwords now allows users to upload their own epubs. I was just told yesterday they have allowed this for some time.

Sent from my Nexus 7
It's been at least two years, I think. IT made things VASTLY easier. I stopped publishing new work there for a time because Smash required special smashwords copyright--and that meant keeping a special file just for them. My books are wide--but I submit direct wherever possible for various reasons. That meant submitting to 4 or 5 places -- all with the same nice file--and Smash wanting a special one. UGH. BUT that requirement was dropped when they allowed epubs to be loaded.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Didn't you tell them to backup their eBooks? Sorry, but I do not feel for anyone who has not bothered to download their eBooks. There's no excuse not to.
They didn't know they could. You have to understand. ARE has an app where you can purchase and read books. Some don't own PCs just their phones, some are on vacation seeing it's the Holidays. It's a complete mess. Alot of these people do not know anything about DRM, never heard of Calibre or know what a epub is. They are having to learn fast... It's a mess.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #75
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Very true. I'm just concerned they will open up shop and attempt to draw customers back someday. There is ample reason to allow people time to download--there is NO REASON to continue selling books when they have no intention of paying the author for those books.
Any customer who knows what to look for will not be drawn back in. If anything situations like this are so horrific that readers refuse to go anywhere but Amazon.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote