Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Greysquirrel
Greysquirrel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Movies to TV?

Hi, I'm new here as I just found about the Kobo Arc on another forum where the poster gave a link to this forum. I have since search the web for information and also this forum to try and find out if you can hook up the Arc to a TV to watch movies. I can see it has a mini or micro USB port but don't know if it is just for charging as my wife's Kindle Fire is or is it like the Kindle Fire HD and you are able to hook up to your TV.
I am assuming that from what I have read that it is just wi-fi and not 3G, but that is not a problem for me if I decide to buy one.
Also are the books downloaded to the Arc when you purchase them like the kindle or do you have to do something else to get them.
I read one post that said that you can get books from Amazon, is that correct?
Is reading in the sunlight as bad as the Kindle Fire or is there any improvement over the Fire?
I will have to travel 50 miles round trip to see one in person unless Best Buy get inventory to sell.
Are movies stored in the Arc or do you have to be hooked up to wi-fi to stream and watch, I ask as I would be watching movies in our travel trailer at campgrounds and most CG have poor wi-fi.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
No, the Kobo Arc doesn't have an HDMI port and odds are that any USB adapter (I'm assuming they exist - don't know from my own certain knowledge) won't work as they've deliberately crippled the USB port so that it can only be used for charging, and for data transfer ONLY when hooked up to a computer.

Yes, the books you buy through whichever app (Kobo's is built in, but you can add the Kindle app no problem) will be downloaded to the Arc as long as you don't choose the archiving options in the app (which would leave it on the server).

Dunno about comparisons to the Kindle Fire in sunlight. As long as you stay in the shade, it's fine to read on. In direct sunlight, I wouldn't bother (on any tablet, even the highest end ones).

No idea how the various markets handle selling you movies, whether they give you a file or just stream. If you do have a file (say, copied from your computer), then of course you can watch it where ever you want. (might not be advisable, though, to try and watch a movie anywhere you don't have access to a wall outlet to recharge, but that goes for any tablet)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Greysquirrel
Greysquirrel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Thanks for the reply JD. The one thing I want is the ability to hook up to a TV and watch movies, the Kindle Fire is like the Arc, the USB port is only for charging, but the Fire HD has a mini USB that allows you to hook up to a TV and watch a movie so if I get another tablet I guess it will be the Fire HD unless someone has another one the can recommend, but thanks for the reply and the information that you gave.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote