Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #31
auntiem
Enthusiast
auntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enough

Device: nexus 7
My e-reader is relatively new to me. One big reason for me to use an e.reader is it gets away from the mustiness of old books. I have allergies so this is a big plus for me. I like the nice, sharp text as well. Plus it is so much easier to carry around than a book is.
auntiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #32
Kaylee Skylyn
Enthusiast
Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaylee Skylyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android phone, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS 350
That is a broad question.

I love having an eReader because it lets me take so many books along with me. That way I can read whatever I have the whim to and not have to worry about bringing my library with me everywhere.

I also love the instant factor of eBooks. I can order a book and read it literally seconds later without leaving home. I also have been downloading a tone of free books so that is very appealing! Even used dead tree books usually cost a little. (just bought 3 softcovers for a dollar at the library sale) And the digital ones are easier to sort through, search, or just brows to see what is there....better than going through boxes and boxes of unsorted books...

Also, while I do love the feel and look of traditional books (well made ones...), I am an environmentalist at heart so I love that I can have fiction without killing trees. Unless a book becomes a favorite to keep in my library I give my books away...I just don't have space for more books.

As for MAKING eBooks I love to do it for fanfiction and online stories so I can take them away from the desktop with me and read them anywhere or anytime, even if the webpage suddenly disappears or is deleted. I also love showing the authors that just because the fic is digital doesn't mean it has to be just boring plain text. It can look like a well-typography-ed (sp??) book with images included.
Kaylee Skylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #33
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantelbrenna View Post
I am currently doing a research project on eBooks, and I stumbled across this website (hallelujah!). I have read through some of the threads, and I want to get an idea of why you enjoy reading, writing, or publishing eBooks, as opposed to hard-copy books.

I don't currently own an eReader, but my mom has a Nook, and so I have the Nook app on my phone and we buy and share books. I really love it, because it allows me to carry books with me on my phone at school, instead of lugging around one more book, in addition to my text books and binders.

I know this is a really broad question, but I want to leave the discussion open to whatever you want to say! All of your feedback is appreciated.
Chantelbrenna,
I would agree with almost all of what the others have mentioned, but ebooks are also a continuation of the swift changing world of communications that, for me, began in the mid 1970's. I realized that the world would change because of the computer chip in a manner just as profound as the change experienced by my grandfather because of the automobile. First, the personal computer, then the internet, and now mobile personal devices, including phones, tablets, and ereaders. Before I die, I want to experience as many of these changes as I can, because I am fascinated by them and the way they have improved my life.

I've always loved to write, but before the word processors and spell check, I could not write in a manner that was legible to anyone but myself. Before ereaders, I could not make my words available to more than a few people. I love to read, but it is an expensive hobby. Ereaders have dramatically reduced my costs.

You have received a lot of great answers from the people here at mobilereads, but now I want to switch subjects for a moment. As I've said, the computer chip changed the world in a manner much like the automobile did. If I were your age, I would start learning all I could about the solar panel, because I believe that this simple technology will have a profound effect on your world. I would be especially alert to improvements in the so-called "smart meter," because it is not smart, it is still very dumb, as dumb as 8088 chips were compared to the chips made today. And I would also be on the lookout for an "intelligent electrical socket." That probably will not be the name that is used, but it will do the same thing and that is, it will accept commands from the "smart meter." I strongly suspect that the solar panel, the smart meter, and the intelligent electrical socket will change your world in the same way the computer chip changed mine.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #34
Susan in Houston
Susan in Houston is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
All of the above as well as being able to buy and read series in the order they were written easily.
Susan in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #35
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
For me, I love e-books because public domain books are FREE FREE FREE.
Reading is once again a poor man's hobby.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
The main reasons I enjoy using an eReader are:
  • Convenient book purchases—just press a few buttons and the ebook arrives within seconds!
  • The device is lightweight and comfortable to hold—no pages to keep propped open!
  • Adjustable font size
  • Reduced room clutter (and I don't have to dust the books!)
  • Lots of free ebooks, both at Amazon and through library ebook borrowing
  • Easy access to inexpensive indie books...more variety
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #37
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have vision damage, but even if I didn't, I would have bought one. Way less to carry around. My keyboard Kindle takes up way less space in my purse than most non-Harlequin novels. If I get frustrated (or bored) with my current book, I can switch to one of hundreds of others. Space is a huge issue - I can store 1000 books on the Kindle, on a flashdrive and on the computer and they still take up less space than 10 of those novels in paperbacks.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote