Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Glo
Margins are enormous; calibre doesn't yet recognise Vox

I have a lovely e-ink reader, but wanted a tablet to read when it is dark out, and for easier use with recipes. So I thought I would try a vox, and they had them in stock at Future Shop. (I bought blue.)

Now, I've been carefully managing my library with Calibre. No good. Calibre doesn't recognise the Vox, and I can't get content sharing to work (it has worked fine with my dearly departed Stanza). I can drag and drop folders onto the Vox, and then use the reading app to import, but this is a huge pain. I assume Calibre will get integration with the Vox shortly, if not wirelessly to the Kobo reading app. I cannot get Alkido to find my content server either, but I've never liked Alkido so I don't feel it's a huge loss. Anyways, Kobo will import books into your reader, though it appears that the social stuff doesn't work properly with imported books. (Yet? Ever? Not that I necessarily want it, but I would like to see how it works before I decide whether or not to keep the reader.)

The biggest problem is the margins, which are huge in portrait mode, and inexcusably unusable in landscape mode if you show 2 pages to a side. I don't care to have screen space taken up with large amounts of nothingness, especially not on a small 7" screen. I have asked about the margins via twitter as well: this is likely to be a make-or-break issue.
jeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you sure it's not the book that has the huge margins and not the reading app?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
The margins weren't big in the videos we saw, so it's likely something you can adjust or an issue with the book. Have you downloaded other reading apps to test it out on? Calibre is always updating (too often, imho), so I'm sure something will come shortly in regards to recognition.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
It seems the margins are huge in landscape mode; portrait is fine on mine. You can set landscape to only one page so you only get 2 instead of 4 bands of white space.

The book I'm using is a free Gutenberg one.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Tim does not have a Vox. He is not expecting it to work with Calibre. Remember, Calibre has never worked with IOs or Android Apps for Kindle, Kobo, Sony, etc. It does work with Aldiko, so maybe there is some hope.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

I tried a few books, and with all of I have about 1 cm on each side, and 2 cm on each of the top and bottom, plus the huge black screen margins. This isn't necessary, and it should be changeable. Landscape -- with 2 pages -- is unusable. I don't care to do 1 page across in landscape, but it is likely the same margins as portrait: too big, but less too big.

I have never found an android-based reading app I particularly like. Maybe I'll see how fbreader works on the Vox, but I rather liked seeing my books on the front page. Though I suppose if there were one that worked seamlessly with Calibre, I'd be okay with it.

I tend to believe that Calibre will update soon with Vox support, and probably someone will figure out a way get it to work with the content server.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeather View Post
I tried a few books, and with all of I have about 1 cm on each side, and 2 cm on each of the top and bottom, plus the huge black screen margins. This isn't necessary, and it should be changeable. Landscape -- with 2 pages -- is unusable. I don't care to do 1 page across in landscape, but it is likely the same margins as portrait: too big, but less too big.

I have never found an android-based reading app I particularly like. Maybe I'll see how fbreader works on the Vox, but I rather liked seeing my books on the front page. Though I suppose if there were one that worked seamlessly with Calibre, I'd be okay with it.

I tend to believe that Calibre will update soon with Vox support, and probably someone will figure out a way get it to work with the content server.
How about running Calibre with the library kept in Dropbox and then just download books to the Vox using the android Dropbox app?
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
It seems the margins are huge in landscape mode; portrait is fine on mine. You can set landscape to only one page so you only get 2 instead of 4 bands of white space.

The book I'm using is a free Gutenberg one.
Grab a nice hand crafted eBook from MR instead of a meatground PG eBook.

Try this one that I put up. It has an embedded font and is set to have no margins so you can test out the margins of the reading apps.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150880

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-28-2011 at 09:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Hmm - I downloaded with the "save to disk" function onto my SD card, then imported them into Aldiko - no problems with the margins.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
jeather
Enthusiast

FBreader works okay and has nicely customisable margins, so I'll stick there for now. I'm wondering if Box.net, which will give me 50gb of space instead of the 3 I have for Dropbox (all free) is a better choice to share my books. The thing I like about using Calibre (via usb) is that it reminds me what books are already on the device. Yes, I also see ways to just move the books on over -- if I have the tablet with usb mode on, my computer recognises it as a usb device. I guess I can just copy all my books and delete as needed from a micro sd card, but what a pain.

Still, it was very nice to read it in bed. I never found a good nightlight solution for e-ink, though e-ink is nicer during the day.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Tim does not have a Vox. He is not expecting it to work with Calibre. Remember, Calibre has never worked with IOs or Android Apps for Kindle, Kobo, Sony, etc. It does work with Aldiko, so maybe there is some hope.
I have a few ideas but I think you will be limited to sending books to it or pulling books without seeing what is on it. I don't have access to a Vox so I won't be looking at it soon. Howere post a device debug to the calibre forum for minimal recognition.

Also, after you import books are they still visible on the file system?

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
jeather
Enthusiast

If I import to Kobo, they're visible in the file system but in the Kobo folder. I haven't tried an external SD card yet. If I import to fbreader or Aldiko, it appears they're also visible in the file system. I would have to test this out specifically. I believe that fbreader and Aldiko use /books and /ebooks as subdirectories, respectively; Kobo uses KoboPegasus, and then a pile of bizarre subdirectories for the books.

I'll post a device debug.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Interesting. Post a directory listing or email me timlegge at gmail.com. The more details the better.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
jeather
Enthusiast

Device debug posted on calibre forum. What info do you want from the directory listings?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeather View Post
Device debug posted on calibre forum. What info do you want from the directory listings?
The files and directory listings would be great