Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Damnit! I'm out of bookshelves again!

That despite clearing many out recently! I just can't resist those Amazon used books!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I've been out of bookshelves for about 18 months. I've started trying to get the shelves to each hold 2 rows of hardcovers and in some cases stacking the books differently in an attempt to get more on the shelves. I've suggested to my wife that what I need to do is buy more bookshelves and place them in front of the current shelves, but she is refusing to go along with that scheme, and since she does the dusting and vacuuming of our library, I don't feel I can unilaterally override her opposition. Eventually I'll prevail because she'll get tired of dealing with stacks on the floor.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I've been out of bookshelves for about 18 months. I've started trying to get the shelves to each hold 2 rows of hardcovers and in some cases stacking the books differently in an attempt to get more on the shelves. I've suggested to my wife that what I need to do is buy more bookshelves and place them in front of the current shelves, but she is refusing to go along with that scheme, and since she does the dusting and vacuuming of our library, I don't feel I can unilaterally override her opposition. Eventually I'll prevail because she'll get tired of dealing with stacks on the floor.
Already did that mostly....sometimes I think I need those high-density roll-out shelves like archive libraries use.

I've got books stacked by the couch/reading chair, in the basement and few other places.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've been double shelving & stacking on the carpet for years! Even after starting to clear out those tomes I now have in ebook form. I tell people that the stacks of books in the living room are "auxiliary" foot stools. The cats like them as perches!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
... The cats like them as perches!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
If you put a glass tabletop on top of the book stacks they become furniture. We have three tables built out of books in our house.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
If you put a glass tabletop on top of the book stacks they become furniture. We have three tables built out of books in our house.
Perfect, maybe I'll try that!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I tell people that the stacks of books in the living room are "auxiliary" foot stools. The CHICKENS like them as perches!
Any problems with the eggs rolling off the perches?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any problems with the eggs rolling off the perches?
Now just stop that & get back to the Chicken Thread where you belong!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
we've got 2.5 5-shelf book cases stacked 2 deep with books and we've got a small apartment. theres plenty that i could still clear out but theres also plenty that id like to replace them with.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
We ran out of shelves 6 years ago. And bought a new house 5 years ago. Ok, the lounge still isn't finished, but once it is, I'll have more shelf space than I can ever fill!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's no point in owning inaccessible books.
  • Double-stacked books are inaccessible.
  • Books on bookshelves hidden behind other bookshelves are even more inaccessible.
  • Books used as furniture are inaccessible.
  • Books in storage boxes are inaccessible.
No, really. If you're in this situation, you have two only sensible options.
  1. Make more space for your books. E.g., dedicate a room to books and have it divided up into shelves and aisles so that you can access all your books.
  2. Get rid of the books you can't sensibly keep and access. Keep only ones with sentimental value, or that you haven't read yet. Especially get rid of any for which you have ebook editions.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've found that nothing beats moving every two to three years to keep any collecting habits I might have under control. CDs, books, clothing, everything takes a beating when you evaluate the effort and cost to physically move something.

As pdurrant said, if it has no sentimental value and it isn't being used, it's gone. Gone I say. It's nice to have a wonderful collection of books, but how many can you say you would actually ever get around to re-reading?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's no point in owning inaccessible books.
  • Double-stacked books are inaccessible.
  • Books on bookshelves hidden behind other bookshelves are even more inaccessible.
  • Books used as furniture are inaccessible.
  • Books in storage boxes are inaccessible.
No, really. If you're in this situation, you have two only sensible options.
  1. Make more space for your books. E.g., dedicate a room to books and have it divided up into shelves and aisles so that you can access all your books.
  2. Get rid of the books you can't sensibly keep and access. Keep only ones with sentimental value, or that you haven't read yet. Especially get rid of any for which you have ebook editions.
^ This.

Also, having all the inaccessable books that pile up and likely never get read just means you're one step away from the next episode of Hoarders.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
kennyc

I loved that E.L. Doctorow - Homer and Langley