Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Running active content on 3.2.1 K2 or DXG

I have successfully transferred some of my old 2.5.8 active content from backup onto my DXG Kindle now running 3.2.1.

The content is on the hard drive but won't appear on the Kindle home screen. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Is there some way I can tweak the active content files so the Kindle can at least see them?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
liuto
Connoisseur
liuto is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG / Kindle 3
This is comments from Yifanlu:

Known Bugs
-Sound fuzzy sometimes
-Active content doesn't work
liuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I remember a post where Yifanlu said you had to change the serial number to one of a K3 to have working active content.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
yangwenli
yangwenli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I remember a post where Yifanlu said you had to change the serial number to one of a K3 to have working active content.
but new issue rises, after you change the sn, if you reset your DXG to factory defaut, you will not connect to the 3G any more....
yangwenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
i believe this comment was in relation to downloading archived or purchased active content from Amazon, which you can't do after applying 3.2.1. i'm in a different situation as i already have the files from a backup - they are the DXG versions I purchased a long time ago.

The problem seems to be the new firmware not being able to see the older active content, or refusing to read it.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

As far as I know from yifanlu's explaination, K3 firmware does not run DX active contents because the format is different. Changing serial number allows your kindle to download k3 active contents.
This is probably because K3 and K2 have different drm mechanism or different API. Either case, since you got both k2 and k3 binaries, it is possible to find a work around if you do enough reverse engineering. In the worst case, you can emulate or dual boot to k2 from your k3.
Otherwise, you have to change sn
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
As far as I know from yifanlu's explaination, K3 firmware does not run DX active contents because the format is different. Changing serial number allows your kindle to download k3 active contents.
This is probably because K3 and K2 have different drm mechanism or different API. Either case, since you got both k2 and k3 binaries, it is possible to find a work around if you do enough reverse engineering. In the worst case, you can emulate or dual boot to k2 from your k3.
Otherwise, you have to change sn
Well reverse engineering stuff is hard to do. We don't have both binaries. We only have the version 2.5.8 DXG active content binaries as there isn't such a thing as version 3.2.1 DXG active content. So we can't compare.

What i have is the same active content purchased for my kindle 3 for firmware 3.1. But i don't think we can compare and find the differences because 1) They are on different firmwares (3.2.1 vs 3.1) 2) They are DRMed for different serial numbers (that is more serious than issue 1

If only we had 2 active contents DRMed for the same serial number but one for firmware 2.5.x and one for 3.x.

I once asked yifanlu about a dual boot he said he doesn't have enough time and put some instructions about the ones who want it. You can search Yifanlu's thread for the instructions.

The real solution might be the changing some parts in the source of the 3.2.1 firmware for kindle DXG. We need to edit the part where kindle tells amazon its firmware. The firmware should tell itself as 2.5.x to let amazon download active contents for our kindle. For now it registers itself as below 2.5 so we can't download active content.

That doesn't solve all of our problem. Then the firmware should behave like it is 2.5.8 when opening and registering active content. What i mean is it shouldn't look for a 3.x active content it should look for a 2.5.x active content. This part may be really hard.

The only solution without changing SN (and abandoning free 3g) seems like waiting for the open source kindle 3 firmware for kindle DX and 2 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149166 which you work on and changing the appropriate parts i mentioned above (if possible).

Last edited by reprep; 09-09-2011 at 03:39 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
No, there isn't a part of the source to change. The active content is compiled for a different version of the API. Take, for example Android and iPhone apps. If you compile an iphone app for iOS 4.0, it won't run on 3.0 and there's nothing you can change apart from recompiling that would let it do so. Same with Android. Compile for 2.3.3 and it won't run on 2.1. The active content on 3.X links to different versions of the API with different names and offsets. I said there are two ways. One is to change the serial so the Kindle will download 3.X versioned content and two is to find a way to remove the DRM. (Download on Kindle 3, remove drm, copy to K2) I'm not going to touch on that subject though and I've never attempted it either.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
cannot contribute much
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
The content is on the hard drive but won't appear on the Kindle home screen. Does anyone know the reason for this?
just wanted to mention that we have the same problem with KindleNote -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=kindlenote

3.2.1 on KDXG does not see it.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Removing DRM seems to be easy for DXG. kindlepid.py works for DXG.
At least I can decrypt and decompile EveryWordGame.class without much trouble.
Besides, KindletBookletDRM of k3 seems to be exactly the same as the one in k2, except the obfuscated variable names. So I think DRM is not a problem.
So unless the active content uses k2 only API, it should works on k3.
At least, you can decrypted (and maybe decompile it) and rebuild it with developer's key.
@eLiNK
KindleNote-54460b5 can be recompiled and runs on my DXG. I don't remember whether I modified source.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
@eLiNK
KindleNote-54460b5 can be recompiled and runs on my DXG. I don't remember whether I modified source.
sorry for being off topic.
but if you managed to get it working under 3.2.1 on your DXG, maybe you could be kind enough as to provide the end results in the KindleNote's thread?

P.S.: I just thought that maybe these two problems are somehow related.

Last edited by eLiNK; 09-09-2011 at 10:27 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
TJW
Enthusiast

I finally find an answer to the original question asked by max99.
unzip k3's KindleDeviceServicesShasta-1.0.jar
unzip DXG's KindleDeviceServicesTN-1.0.jar (TN means TuringNell)
cp dxg/res/* k3/res/
cp dxg/...../capability/DeviceCapabilityAdapterImpl$1.class to k3/../capability
zip back the k3 jar files and find a way to replace the jar file on your kindle.
Then you can see them (but need more patches to make them run).