Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #16
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
HarryT, I'm a rank beginner with all this stuff. Can you tell me more about the Mobi Desktop Reader? Is it a downloadable program? Where can I find it? Is it easy to use? And that's what I could use to convert Word files into a Kindle-friendly format? Could I badger you with any more questions?
Try www.mobipocket.com. Under the Software tab, you can download a free reader and creator. Both are easy to use under Windows XP.

The reader will read either purchased DRM .prc files (with your computer's PID) or unDRMed .PRC files.

The creator will accept either .doc MS Word files or HTML and creat a .PRC unDRMed file that should be readable on the Kindle. (Note: I don't have a Kindle but do this for my Palm T/X routinely.)

BTW, didn't mean to steal Harry's thunder. Just had some info to share.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiari View Post
Cybook here I come....
check out NAEB http://naebllc.com/ it is a "version" of cybook and it might be a little cheaper for you if you live in Canada or USA
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #18
jclizzzard
jclizzzard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
on a related note, any suggestions for pdf converters that work for Macs? So far everything I can find about mobipocket or pdf995 is Windows only. I have many pdf's that are scanned chapters of books my professors assign for class reading, and would like to test out converting them to .prc or .doc for uploading on my Kindle (which has not yet arrived, so I can't do the email to myself thing yet)
jclizzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #19
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Try www.mobipocket.com. Under the Software tab, you can download a free reader and creator. Both are easy to use under Windows XP.
The reader will read either purchased DRM .prc files (with your computer's PID) or unDRMed .PRC files.
The creator will accept either .doc MS Word files or HTML and creat a .PRC unDRMed file that should be readable on the Kindle. (Note: I don't have a Kindle but do this for my Palm T/X routinely.)
BTW, didn't mean to steal Harry's thunder. Just had some info to share.
Thanks, slayda! I may PM you with a few more specific questions (for example, the whole DRM .prc PID is like Greek to me! DRM I get, the others are new to me!

Would I need both the reader and the creator? Or if I'm just using it to format Word or text (or HTML, I suppose) files, I would only need the creator?
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiari View Post
D'oh...

Amazon's phone help informs me that my bank for my credit card must have a US address... they told me of a couple ways to work around it, which was nice of them, but they all sound like too much effort.

Cybook here I come....
Speaking of the Gen3, is Bookeen working on the sometimes faulty page turn button?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
HarryT, I'm a rank beginner with all this stuff. Can you tell me more about the Mobi Desktop Reader? Is it a downloadable program? Where can I find it? Is it easy to use? And that's what I could use to convert Word files into a Kindle-friendly format? Could I badger you with any more questions?
You can also use Book Designer to create Mobi format files from your DOC files.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks, slayda! I may PM you with a few more specific questions (for example, the whole DRM .prc PID is like Greek to me! DRM I get, the others are new to me!

Would I need both the reader and the creator? Or if I'm just using it to format Word or text (or HTML, I suppose) files, I would only need the creator?
You need both. The reader to proofread what you create with the creator. The reader is also useful to do quick and dirty conversions and PDF conversions. They are both free downloads.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You need both. The reader to proofread what you create with the creator. The reader is also useful to do quick and dirty conversions and PDF conversions. They are both free downloads.
Dale
Thanks, Dale!

JSWolf, I'll look at the Book Designer, too. Thanks for the tip!
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #24
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I'd be curious if anyone has downloaded an .azw file to their PC (instead of directly to their Kindle), changed the extension to .mobi and was able to open it using Mobipocket. Or found another way to open an .azw on their PC.
Yes, I have verified that this works. I haven't received my Kindle yet, but since it is on order I was able to email a PDF to my @free.kindle.com address. The file they sent back to me had a .azw extension, but after renaming it to .prc, the mobipocket reader on my PC was able to read it just fine.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #25
Kiari
Kiari began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook 3
I'd like to thank everyone for all their great help

I just (today! Yay!) got my new Cybook in the mail, having decided that it suits my needs a bit more (and praying the button won't be faulty)...

-Kiari
Kiari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #26
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

If you can't get the amazon service, I would recommend that you skip the kindle. You will probably be happier with the PRS-505 if you just need a stand-alone reader. Without the service, you will be missing out on so many features, that it will surely just make you sad. Plus why pay the extra $100.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
If you can't get the amazon service, I would recommend that you skip the kindle. You will probably be happier with the PRS-505 if you just need a stand-alone reader. Without the service, you will be missing out on so many features, that it will surely just make you sad. Plus why pay the extra $100.
Some of the features they will miss out on are:

left justification
searchable ebooks
dictionary lookup
searchable ebooks
Content Management (being able to delete ebooks on the device w\o a PC)
searchable ebooks
being able to list your ebooks by title, then jump to a page after typing the first few letters of a title

Oh, wait. You can still do these things if you don't have whispernet. My bad.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #28
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

left justification
searchable ebooks
dictionary lookup
searchable ebooks
searchable ebooks
being able to list your ebooks by title, then jump to a page after typing the first few letters of a title

I agree--these are awesome features. Lots of people seem to think that the wireless function is the only thing that separates it from the Sony. I would say that the Kindle and the Cybook Gen3 beat Sony Reader hands-down.

Don't get me wrong though, I still love my Sony, it's just that there are better choices out there now...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #29
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

left justification
searchable ebooks
dictionary lookup
searchable ebooks
searchable ebooks

Are those features really worth $100 though? Maybe not. There's nothing listed there that couldn't be supported with a simple software upgrade (should be coming in 2008 I expect if Sony still wants to compete) for the Sony. And you end up with a reader in a sleeker, nicer form factor made of higher quality materials with a longer battery life.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #30
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I would like it if Sony would support things like search with a software upgrade yet they haven't done it so far and their product has been out a long time now. They've been promising periodicals for ages now. This is one of the reasons they would be my third choice of device behind the Kindle and Cybook despite the lower price and more attractive design. Still, I'd like to see them start adding features and keep competing. I think the competition is good for all of us.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote