Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Apple to Amaze with...

'fresh' icons?

from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...interface.html

Quote:
Apple has unveiled one of the biggest gambles in its history with a radical overhaul of its iOS software.

The new iOS 7 software has a ‘flat design’, but critics say the dramatic new look could backfire, confusing users - while others claim it simply looks like Google’s rival Android system.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I fail to understand why it's expected to confuse people, a row of icons is still a row of icons.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I fail to understand why it's expected to confuse people, a row of icons is still a row of icons.
I guess it just means that if you've been used to seeing the same icon for a particular function for many years, it's going to take a little while to get used to something new.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is a difference between changing an Icon and just changing the Look of an Icon.
There is a conundrum: Icon: An enduring symbol
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is a difference between changing an Icon and just changing the Look of an Icon.
There is a conundrum: Icon: An enduring symbol
True. I'd hope they'd at least keep the basic "form" of the icons for the major apps: Safari, Mail, Music, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True. I'd hope they'd at least keep the basic "form" of the icons for the major apps: Safari, Mail, Music, etc.
They have, they simply made them as basic as possible. On the work iPhone, I still need to look at the text beneath the icons anyway so it won't change anything for me. I literally use nothing but the phone features, text, email, and the services connected to iCloud. I've considered putting everything else in a drawer but the boss has the phone on evenings / weekends. He's more of an Apple person than I am so I'm looking forward to getting his thoughts on the changes.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I won't have to worry about the "new look", because my iPod touch 4 is not eligible for the upgrade. Soon, it'll just fade away...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I won't have to worry about the "new look", because my iPod touch 4 is not eligible for the upgrade. Soon, it'll just fade away...
To be clear, only the latest iphone 5 will support ios7. The other devices will get a diluted version of the os - but, of course, the stats will indicate that all devices are running the latest, even if there are multiple versions of the "latest" os. Marketing 101.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
To be clear, only the latest iphone 5 will support ios7. The other devices will get a diluted version of the os - but, of course, the stats will indicate that all devices are running the latest, even if there are multiple versions of the "latest" os. Marketing 101.
I am not sure whether that is really accurate. I think iOS7 on an iPhone 5, iPod touch 5, and iPad 3 or 4 or Mini is basically the same, though obviously phone functionality won't apply to non-phone equipped devices and of course different screen resolutions are dealt with differently. But it seems that the vast majority of iOS7 would be the same for any compatible device.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
But oh keen round bird isn't that a common complaint about the Android devices?
All those different flavors on each device. All those versions and altered versions of Droid OSs.

I recall also the complaints when MS Windows tried to make all previous models, hardware and software, compliant with the latest version of software.
Shouldn't Apple have just said, that the new iOS7 was for the next so and so devices and all previous models are fine as they are and users have to adapt to the future.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I am not sure whether that is really accurate. I think iOS7 on an iPhone 5, iPod touch 5, and iPad 3 or 4 or Mini is basically the same, though obviously phone functionality won't apply to non-phone equipped devices and of course different screen resolutions are dealt with differently. But it seems that the vast majority of iOS7 would be the same for any compatible device.
There's a list floating on the internet detailing what each device gets; I saw that last night while browsing the news, but I can't recall the site. For instance, the 4S doesn't get AirDrop or camera filters, the 4 doesn't get Siri (which it didn't have already), or panoramic photos (on top of what the 4S doesn't get), the ipad3 doesn't get camera filters, airdrop or panoramic photos, and so on.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't understand the flat trend. Sure apple overdoes the skeuomorphism, and Vista went overboard with glow and transparency everywhere, but now we're going to the other extreme and everything is flat and you can't tell what's clickable and what's what.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, it is accurate. Apple is dishonest when it says that the iPhone 4 will get iOS7 but neglects to put the asterisk that indicates some features of iOS7 are not available on the iPhone 4.

This is just Apple's way of masking their own fragmentation issue but in a way that confuses the consumer.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
But oh keen round bird isn't that a common complaint about the Android devices?
All those different flavors on each device. All those versions and altered versions of Droid OSs.

I recall also the complaints when MS Windows tried to make all previous models, hardware and software, compliant with the latest version of software.
Shouldn't Apple have just said, that the new iOS7 was for the next so and so devices and all previous models are fine as they are and users have to adapt to the future.
Quote:
There's a list floating on the internet detailing what each device gets; I saw that last night while browsing the news, but I can't recall the site. For instance, the 4S doesn't get AirDrop or camera filters, the 4 doesn't get Siri (which it didn't have already), or panoramic photos (on top of what the 4S doesn't get), the ipad3 doesn't get camera filters, airdrop or panoramic photos, and so on.
Okay, then it sounds like Apple is merely turning off certain options they don't want to support for specific, older devices. That should not be confused with different versions like in Android where every device seems to have a different version--slight exaggeration, but only slight! With Android a device might be running v2.3 and never get upgraded by the manufacturer or carrier. In iOS land the OS is upgraded by Apple whether the carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) likes it or not. That is a huge difference. So all compatible devices can run iOS7, but with the caveat that some older devices don't get a few of the features.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't understand the flat trend. Sure apple overdoes the skeuomorphism, and Vista went overboard with glow and transparency everywhere, but now we're going to the other extreme and everything is flat and you can't tell what's clickable and what's what.
On the iPad/iPhones that I've tried, nothing is clickable... everything operates by a direct touch... clickable surely relates to mouse usage which is something that doesn't apply to phones and tablets as they don't use mice.

On my iPads android tablets and phone, if it's on the screen then it's touchable and something happens whether it has a pretty 3D appearance or not....
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote