Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #106
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
For what it's worth, I tried a couple of things in my word processor when I read about this typo.

P and O are right next to each other, so it seems reasonable to me that someone typing fast can type p e o p instead of p e p p for the first 4 letters. If I typed p e o p e r the spell checker offered "pepper" but if I didn't hit the final r, it offered "people".

So I can see this being a typo of the regular sort with one finger slipping and hitting o for p and another finger not hitting the r quite hard enough to register. It's not often that I make 2 errors in one word, but it does happen, so I assume it can happen to other people too--and it seems a lot more likely that this would be a typo than that someone would have done it on purpose.

Regarding the typo being offensive--sure, I picked up pretty quickly that it was a typo and hadn't been done on purpose. But wow, it's the kind of typo that makes *me* wince--and I'm white. I can sure imagine that to someone who was black it might not be all that funny. And being basically brushed off by the company would make it a lot worse. And then having a bunch of white boys say "how dare you be offended" and "now *I*'m offended that you're offended" and "you must just be looking for things to be offended over" would make the whole thing ten times worse.

Which is the point, for some people. If they make things hot enough for minorities who speak up, they can pressure most of them into shutting up, and then they can go back to believing the world is fair.

Nobody here would be like that, of course. But it might be good to stop and think a bit about whether you want to be mistaken for someone who is like that.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #107
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Oh the outrage...
Credit to http://www.cernlove.org/blog/tag/large-hardon-collider/

Gotta say, this makes me wince, but that's because I probably have an overactive imagination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	largeHardonColliderCropped.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	50257  

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-22-2010 at 12:12 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #108
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Not denying Australia has its problems.

To suggest the USA is "a lot better" though, I would think would make anyone who really knows the situation in both countries drop their jaw in stupefied amazement.

Cheers,
PKFFW
My jaw certainly dropped. Well said.
I have lived in many countries (I tend to travel a fair bit). I've worked for the UN for a number of years. I've seen a lot of rasicm and discrimination.
The US being "a lot better" than Australia in that regard is simply prepostorous.

Last edited by m-reader; 04-22-2010 at 12:36 AM.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #109
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I make outrageous my living and let the record speak for itself
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #110
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Oh the outrage...

Gotta say, this makes me wince, but that's because I probably have an overactive imagination.
Do I have an overactive imagination because I can't read its proper name without thinking that? Or just a twisted one?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #111
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Oh the outrage...

Took me awhile!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote