Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
moorashj
moorashj began at the beginning.

Device: e505
worth upgrading to 600

Greetings,
I have the 505 and was wondering if it would be wise to get the 600. I am not overly needing the touchscreen but was wondering if in general if the 600 offers a more positive experience.
Thanks
moorashj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
This has been asked many times before.

The short answer: If you just want to read, keep the 505, as the screen is better.
If you need to take notes or use the dictionary, go ahead and take a look at the 600. Some people find the screen unacceptable because it reflects too much light; others think it's a reasonable drawback given the advantages it offers.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
moorashj

that is what i thought

Andanzas,
Saw both the 300 and 600 at Best buy last night and i liked the layout of hte 600 but could see the screen differences between the 505 and the 600 since mine was at home. I like the note taking ability but wonder how much I would really use it. not really sure 299 is worth the upgrade.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I can't justify it because I love my 505 and it works great, but man those 600s are slick
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorashj View Post
Andanzas,
Saw both the 300 and 600 at Best buy last night and i liked the layout of hte 600 but could see the screen differences between the 505 and the 600 since mine was at home. I like the note taking ability but wonder how much I would really use it. not really sure 299 is worth the upgrade.
If you are liking it....you have a perfectly good PRS-505 that you could sell to fund it Then it didn't cost $300
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
moorashj

good point

Doug..that makes sense...i guess I could sell it I am just worried about the screen contrast and glare..i have heard so many mixed results.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorashj View Post
Doug..that makes sense...i guess I could sell it I am just worried about the screen contrast and glare..i have heard so many mixed results.
Thats what I do with all my gadgets....makes the upgrades soooooo much cheaper

Hey worse case, hold on to your 505, buy the 600, try it for a week, if you don't like it, return it. If you do like it.....sell the 505 and replenish most of the cost, you should have no problem with a quick sale
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I compared my 505 with a 600 at the airport asking myself exactly the same question.

The 600 screen isn't as clear. But, if I didn't have them side-by-side, I'd have been happy with the 600.

I am worried about smudgy fingerprints on the 600 - I find they make the 505 harder to read, and I clean them off immediately. That will be harder on the 600, and the rep and I made it pretty grubby, pretty fast.

The dictionary is outstandingly well implemented.

Less convinced about the notes, and a bit horrified about the idea of a stylus.

Finally, all the new features have to be a nasty drain on the battery.

I didn't buy it for three reasons: a) my 505 really is just a fantastic device (and it's only seven months old); b) there is a recession on!; c) it's not available in red, and I don't like the silver strip below the screen.

I probably will upgrade, but not until I've held a 900. In the meantime, I was much more taken with the 300 than I thought I would be - very nice little pocket reader.

I think new buyers can't go wrong with any Sony devices on the market currently. As a 505 owner, I recommend potential upgraders get them side-by-side, your mileage may vary

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I 'upgraded' my 505 to a 300. Got rid of a couple of unwanted/unused features (mp3, memory card) and got a more portable device that fits in my pants pocket. I do like the 505 still!

Also checked out the 600 for quite a while--it adds everything I don't want: complex interface (I just want to open and read books), touchscreen, dictionary/notes, lower-contrast display, and a bit of bulk compared to the 505. The 300 was an easy choice for me. (But I'm keeping the 505 of course!)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I 'upgraded' my 505 to a 300. Got rid of a couple of unwanted/unused features (mp3, memory card) and got a more portable device that fits in my pants pocket. I do like the 505 still!

Also checked out the 600 for quite a while--it adds everything I don't want: complex interface (I just want to open and read books), touchscreen, dictionary/notes, lower-contrast display, and a bit of bulk compared to the 505. The 300 was an easy choice for me. (But I'm keeping the 505 of course!)
Similar experience to DrMoze...
...Except I traded in my 505 for a 300 so that I could 'enhance' my reading experience by making it more portable and therefore more likely that I would carry the book around with me.

I don't tend to read books where I need a dictionary!... and the MP3 player really is a battery sucking feature with poor implementation.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
moorashj I think Doug has the right idea. If you're wanting it, why not try it and see? Then again.... I kept saying I'd sell one of my devices and I just can't part with any of them. I use all 3 and love all 3. Admittedly, I have issues.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Hi SolRaven. Seeing the number of people here with multiple readers, I would say you don't have any issues (at least no more than anyone else here ). I fear I may soon be joining that group: I got my Sony 300 last week, and have been loving it. Then, after reading so many comments here from happy 505 owners, I thought I would order one to compare it with my Pocket Reader, and return the one I decide not to keep. I just received an email from the Sony Canada store that my 505 has shipped, and after reading about your experience, I am worried now that I may end up keeping them both!
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 AM   #13
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
Hi SolRaven. Seeing the number of people here with multiple readers, I would say you don't have any issues (at least no more than anyone else here ). I fear I may soon be joining that group: I got my Sony 300 last week, and have been loving it. Then, after reading so many comments here from happy 505 owners, I thought I would order one to compare it with my Pocket Reader, and return the one I decide not to keep. I just received an email from the Sony Canada store that my 505 has shipped, and after reading about your experience, I am worried now that I may end up keeping them both!
Poor, poor coyote. It seems the addiction is a disease and it's spreading. Don't try to fight it, just justify it like I do. I figure that I've got over 10' of book shelves and only 2" of readers with more books on them than my bookshelves. Somehow that seems to make more sense in my world.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I am worried about smudgy fingerprints on the 600 - I find they make the 505 harder to read, and I clean them off immediately. That will be harder on the 600, and the rep and I made it pretty grubby, pretty fast.
That's why I use the stylus. You don't need to use the touch screen very often - for normal page turning, you can just use the buttons.

What do you find "horrifying" about the stylus, as a matter of interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Poor, poor coyote. It seems the addiction is a disease and it's spreading. Don't try to fight it, just justify it like I do. I figure that I've got over 10' of book shelves and only 2" of readers with more books on them than my bookshelves. Somehow that seems to make more sense in my world.
You are so right !!!! I began with an Opus, which my husband used a lot, so there was my excuse to get a 505. I just love it. BUT.... no excuses for getting the 300 after that, which I also love and ordering a 600 which is on the way. I know that I have issues, but my issues are nice and shiny and red and pink and they can read ebooks
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote