Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #46
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If an OEM actually managed to get eInk running properly without a metric shitton of hacks on top of recent Android releases, I'd say kudos, and good for them .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #47
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
To sum up: we discarded the lighter e-readers because they are either Android devices (Tolino, Nook, Onyx, Boyue) or PocketBook devices (the InkBook Calypso and the PocketBook Touch Lux 5 are now on sale, both with 155 gr, 212 dpi and colour temperature adjustment). What do we have left? Easy: the Kobo Clara HD. Solved.

Last edited by cellaris; 07-26-2020 at 09:48 PM.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 04:31 AM   #48
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Hello dear fellow forum members.

I didn't reject Poke Two. You still haven't said if there will be updates from Onyx. I think you have a poke 2.

Except with the missing light sensor, it meets my requirements. Of course, an extra -30 to -50g would be better. The broken android thing is stupid, but like my Kindle, Poke 2 doesn't have to go online. It's a reader.
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
To sum up: we discarded the lighter e-readers because they are either Android devices (Tolino, Nook, Onyx, Boyue) or PocketBook devices (the InkBook Calypso and the PocketBook Touch Lux 5 are now on sale, both with 155 gr, 212 dpi and colour temperature adjustment). What do we have left? Easy: the Kobo Clara HD. Solved.
I have a Sony Reader PRS-T1 that uses Android and I found nothing wrong with it.

Do you know if there is a problem with newer versions of Android on Onyx Readers?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #50
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The "problem," with regard to KOReader as well as similar third-party software, is a lack of reverse-engineered support for E Ink updates on Onyx devices. Whether that's an actual problem or just slightly suboptimal will depend on the individual device. (One day it might come, if someone with one of these devices puts in some of the necessary effort. )

Additionally, Android devices are typically quite slow in spite of their beefy hardware.

So the Kobo Clara HD is likely already preferable just by itself, arguably also for Kobo's software and not just for KOReader, coolreader or Plato, and when you take into account that the Onyx Poke 2 is 190 while the Kobo Clara HD is 110 it's very hard to see much in favor of it. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be perfectly happy with it.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #51
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Indeed, Kobo devices are very balanced in quality, price and reading programs. Buying a Kobo is always a good decision. I personally miss a couple of things that are important to me: less dependence on the computer (needed for patching, kepub conversion, book organization...) and better color temperature adjustment. But these are minor problems that have to do with my personal taste.

I find the Onyx Boox Poke 2 a very good device. I wouldn't buy it to "exclusively" use KOReader. And not because it's malfunctioning. I insist that KOReader works well, runs fast, can be adjusted for screen refresh, and consumes very little battery power (I read on another forum that a user had problems with running KOReader. I have not had the slightest problem). I think the Poke 2 has a much higher potential to reduce it to KOReader and it is a very expensive device to use so restricted.

Is KOReader slow on Android devices? On the devices I use (Onyx Boox Poke 2, Tolino Shine 3, InkBook Prime HD) I do not consider KOReader to be slow. The developers have done a great job (special mention to the boost given by @pazos) and the performance is satisfactory. But it is clear that the biggest development of KOReader is in Kobo devices today. That's why buying a Kobo to use KOReader is a guarantee.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #52
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
By quite slow I mean that comparatively speaking these devices are roaring beasts overflowing with CPU power.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, give me a pure-Linux device with an i.MX EPDC and any half-decent ARMv8, and magic will happen.

Doesn't seem to be on NXP's lineup any time soon, though ^^. Although, on the upside, the Kobo Nia is using an NXP SoC in a custom variant, since the i.MX 6ULL is not officially listed as having an EPDC, so, one can still hope...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-27-2020 at 02:56 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #54
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

A device in the reader formfactor with a completely open driver stack for Linux would be ideal. I would be one of the first to buy it.

There is one (free hardware) with a microcontroller, it can interpret text files, unfortunately not anymore. I'm sure you know it. https://github.com/joeycastillo/The-Open-Book
Old 07-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #55
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Compare Kindle PW and Kobo Clara HD or Poke 2: What is it like in terms of stability?

The Paperwhite 2 has a very stable construction, case weight 63g. It feels thick and firm. The device is not easy to twist. The screen and the suspension are a bit elastic, so that the device is still a bit bendable if it gets under pressure (someone sits on it). But nothing breaks. It can also fall from the hand on concrete floor.

What about the Kobo Clara and Poke 2? Have you compared them with a Kindle? Took the device in both hands and bent it a little? Is it easier or does it need more power than a paperwhite? Have you ever dropped the devices?
Old 08-20-2020, 04:00 AM   #56
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

Hello, everybody. I bought myself a Poke 2. It's a great reader. I took some pictures for comparison. In the pictures, a Kindle 4, Kindle PW2 and the Poke 2.

https://imgur.com/a/aaCcRxa

The font is Bookerly. The KOReader on Poke 2 is fast as an arrow, it is lightweight and has nice small side edges.

I weighed the readers:
Kindle 4: 167g
PW 2: 204g
Poke 2: 148g
Old 02-25-2023, 02:32 PM   #57
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Poke 2:
The battery is defective, the device often crashes. I have to connect the device to the cable to restart it. After that it runs again a few hours. Sometimes the battery is full, shortly after empty again and after the start again full.