Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
mspalacios
mspalacios began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, iPhone Xs Max, iPad Mini 4
New to Kobo world with Libra H2O

Finally got sick of the blue light when I read on my heavy iPad so went for a Libra H2O.

Happy overall, but I am sorely missing a few things.... your thoughts welcome:

1. I am surprised how much I miss book progress synchronization for sideloaded books. On my iPad, iCloud took care of the sync and I was able to pick up on iPhone and take advantage of down/wait times. Is there any way to get this back?

2. I updated for iOS 13 on my iPhone /iPad today and I lost the ability to sideload books on the Kobo Books app. I confirmed with Kobo support that the share sheet scheme changed in iOS 13 and they have not updated the app. I used to be able to email the book to myself (or upload to DropBox/Google Drive) and export the book via "Copy to Kobo Books". They suggest waiting or using iTunes! Yuck... Any workarounds? This will help with issue 1. above - at least I can scroll around to find my spot.

3. Is there a way to make the Home screen of the Kobo default to my books and not Free books, library?

Thanks!
mspalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
1) I'm sorry to tell you this, but syncing of sideloaded books is not something you can get back. Kobo has never offered that service. (I for one am grateful they don't; if I've sideloaded the book it's none of Kobo's business that I have done so.)

2) You don't need the Kobo app to sideload books, or any app except a file manager. Your Kobo should appear to your computer as a USB thumb drive. You can drag & drop book files to it.

3) The home screen shows a variety of different things, and can change a bit over time as you use the device. Mine, for example, shows my current reads at the top, then the row below it is split into "My Books" and my most-used collection. Now, I haven't gotten the latest firmware yet, so I suppose your home screen may be a bit different.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
1)

2) You don't need the Kobo app to sideload books, or any app except a file manager. Your Kobo should appear to your computer as a USB thumb drive. You can drag & drop book files to it.

OP is taking about an iPad, not a computer.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspalacios View Post

2. I updated for iOS 13 on my iPhone /iPad today and I lost the ability to sideload books on the Kobo Books app. I confirmed with Kobo support that the share sheet scheme changed in iOS 13 and they have not updated the app. I used to be able to email the book to myself (or upload to DropBox/Google Drive) and export the book via "Copy to Kobo Books". They suggest waiting or using iTunes! Yuck... Any workarounds? This will help with issue 1. above - at least I can scroll around to find my spot.

iPadOS is due september 24th. So is iOS 13.1, which many say is the "real" final version. Maybe things will work out better then.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The warnings sound dire about the IOS 13 release.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
The warnings sound dire about the IOS 13 release.
Hardly
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
mspalacios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
iPadOS is due september 24th. So is iOS 13.1, which many say is the "real" final version. Maybe things will work out better then.

No joy. Kobo need to update the Kobo Books app to be compatible with the new share sheet scheme in iOS13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
mspalacios

Official:

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...Kobo-Books-app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Ironically my would be issue isn’t listed there so I’ll mention it here in case others have it. The kobo app just crashes for me on iOS 13.1.

I say would be issue because I don’t use the app. I don’t remember why I have it installed but it is updated to whatever the App Store spits out. Maybe I wanted to test something for someone here. Anyway hopefully kobo fix this app soon for y’all who use it.

Anyone having my issue could probably try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. It might work it might not who’s to say.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote