Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #646
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tior500 View Post
So I just converted from epub to KFX and it has all the features, works perfectly but it doesn't have the cover on my kindle paperwhite.
See the section "Showing Cover Thumbnail Images on E-Ink Kindle Devices" in the first post in this thread for ways to fix that.

Quote:
Also, when I try to convert in Calibre from PDF to KFX in Hungarian language it says that Kindle Previewer 3 does not accept that encoding...How could I fix that?
You can change the language code in your book to one of the languages that the Kindle Previewer does accept in order to get the book to convert, but language-specific features (like dictionaries) will not work properly.

The supported languages are listed under "Q8. What language books does Kindle Previewer 3 support?" on the Kindle Previewer page at Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:32 AM   #647
Manrico
Manrico began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra
Quote:
You can change the language code in your book to one of the languages that the Kindle Previewer does accept in order to get the book to convert, but language-specific features (like dictionaries) will not work properly.

The supported languages are listed under "Q8. What language books does Kindle Previewer 3 support?" on the Kindle Previewer page at Amazon.
Kindle previewer page isn't updated with the newly supported languages in Previewer 3.31 that you have listed on June 3rd.
I have found that it is enough to set the language in Calibre to some supported language to make conversion work. I suppose that as KFX plugin first makes a conversion to epub even if the book is already in epub format, during this conversion the metadata is updated in the temporary epub and then Previewer accepts it. I have used this to convert books in Bulgarian. As it uses (almost) the same alphabet as Russian and has some lexical similarity, when I set the language field temporarily to "Russian", conversion works and produces acceptable results.
Manrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #648
Odin-zemlyanin
Odin-zemlyanin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2015
There was such a problem with the conversion epub to kfx with the error: E06420
Click image for larger version

Name:	418d8695757b84d4098d88cd7c23b1b7.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	172542
How can this be solved?
Thanks.

source file here

[possibly copyright books removed again.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-23-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Deleted again.
Odin-zemlyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #649
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin-zemlyanin View Post
There was such a problem with the conversion epub to kfx with the error: E06420
I don't speak Russian so I don't know what book you have posted, but if it is under copyright then please remove the attachment from your post. Copyrighted material is not allowed on MobileRead. (Edit: Already taken care of by pdurrant.)

KFX conversion can fail for many reasons. In this case the error message appears to point to an invalid character in the text, but is not informative as to where in the book the problem lies.

In order to fix it you will have to use an EPUB editor (such as calibre's Edit Book function) to selectively remove parts of the book until it converts successfully. By trial and error you can narrow down and remove whatever is causing conversion to fail. It will likely be a time consuming process.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #650
Odin-zemlyanin
Odin-zemlyanin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2015
Ok. I see. thanks
Odin-zemlyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #651
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Restored attachment deleted again. Members are not to override an editor's correction. You are welcome to contact them privately to discuss any issues.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #652
Tior500
Tior500 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi! Me, again!
So the converting is great but now when converting ePub books to KFX and getting them on kindle it doesn't show chapters at all and therefore it doesn't show how much time I have left in a chapter...
Tior500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #653
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So the converting is great but now when converting ePub books to KFX and getting them on kindle it doesn't show chapters at all and therefore it doesn't show how much time I have left in a chapter...
Chapters in KFX format are produced from the entries in the NCX file of the converted EPUB. They must be defined there in order for them to appear in KFX.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #654
KindlemanRussia
KindlemanRussia began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Can someone please help with a minor thing? The plugin works perfectly, except for one thing. When I add a custom cover to a book, then convert it to KFX and when I put it on my Kindle I get a cover that is on Amazon page, but I don't have the custom cover I added through Calibre. Is there a way to force the book to use the custom cover I add?
KindlemanRussia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #655
KindlemanRussia

I just tried removing the ASIN code from metadata. It doesn't download the Amazon cover anymore but it also doesn't add my custom cover. All I get is a blank spot with the name and author of the book on the Kindle.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #656
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindlemanRussia View Post
I just tried removing the ASIN code from metadata. It doesn't download the Amazon cover anymore but it also doesn't add my custom cover. All I get is a blank spot with the name and author of the book on the Kindle.
In order to get your own cover you need to remove the ASIN before conversion and then have the book loaded onto the Kindle using calibre. If you copy it to the Kindle yourself the cover won't be displayed.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #657
KindlemanRussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
In order to get your own cover you need to remove the ASIN before conversion and then have the book loaded onto the Kindle using calibre. If you copy it to the Kindle yourself the cover won't be displayed.
I had that idea just now but I can't use the "send to device" function for KFX file. I press "send to device" then "send specific format to..." and then it opens me a box with formats but there is no option to select KFX format. Am I doing it wrong?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #658
KindlemanRussia

Oh wait there is instructions on page 1, I will try that

It worked!

Last edited by KindlemanRussia; 07-24-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:12 AM   #659
dedy
dedy began at the beginning.

Device: oasis 2
epub to kfx

Hello everyone

I tried converting the epub of the The Fifth Season of Kfx but it shows the following error
Python function terminated unexpectedly
{"msg": "<b>Cannot convert The Fifth Season</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00015: Unsupported tag or style was found. Tag: (), HTML Attribute: (), CSS Style: (-webkit-box-shadow=rgb(170, 170, 170) 0px 0px 5px inset).", "title": "KFX conversion failed", "level": "error", "det_msg": ""} (Error Code: 1)

Any help on how to rectify it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Edit: Uploaded the complete Log file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (32.9 KB, 124 views)
dedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #660
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedy View Post
I tried converting the epub of the The Fifth Season of Kfx but it shows the following error
Python function terminated unexpectedly
{"msg": "<b>Cannot convert The Fifth Season</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00015: Unsupported tag or style was found. Tag: (), HTML Attribute: (), CSS Style: (-webkit-box-shadow=rgb(170, 170, 170) 0px 0px 5px inset).", "title": "KFX conversion failed", "level": "error", "det_msg": ""} (Error Code: 1)

Any help on how to rectify it would be greatly appreciated.
That book contains HTML/CSS formatting that is currently unsupported in KFX format.

To fix this you would need to use the calibre ebook editor to edit the book you want to convert. The easiest fix would be to look for and remove the -webkit-box-shadow property, most likely contained in one or more of the stylesheets.

If you are not familiar with calibre's editor, HTML or CSS then you will have some learning to do before you can fix this. It is up to you to decide whether having this book in KFX format is worth the effort.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine