Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Been there. Last year I just had a vague idea of my book and I still haven't gotten round to doing much editing of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Edwards View Post
I'm participating :-). Haven't decided what I'm going to work on yet, though. *They don't call me The Queen of Procrastination for nothing ;-)

Sandy
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #17
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'm not a writer - just curious on how this works? Do you write directly on the site, or copy and paste from your computer?

If you copy and paste, couldn't you just copy anything you've done in the past?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 04:19 AM   #18
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
It largely operates on an 'honour' basis, Lene. There are no prizes beyond satisfaction of a creative job completed by deadline, so those who might cheat lose out on that. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #19
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
It largely operates on an 'honour' basis, Lene. There are no prizes beyond satisfaction of a creative job completed by deadline, so those who might cheat lose out on that. Cheers. Neil
Thanks, Neil... That makes sense..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Basically you go to your profile page and upload your progress. There are also usually spreadsheets that you can download from one of the forums so you can keep track of your current word count vs. your total of 50k minimum. As for how you do the daily word count, I let the word processor count for me. Microsoft word is more accurate than Open Office I've found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I'm not a writer - just curious on how this works? Do you write directly on the site, or copy and paste from your computer?

If you copy and paste, couldn't you just copy anything you've done in the past?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've said I'm going to try it for the last five years, but have ended up utterly failing. But this year...no, seriously...this year...
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've signed up for this year, my first time at nano. I have a rough idea what I'm writing, but nothing as specific as an outline. I love the notion of flying by the seat of my pants and seeing what happens.

Anyone else use "Write Or Die" to keep them going and for the stats widget? I have the desktop version and can't recommend it highly enough.

You'll find me on the nano site as HippyKitty, if anyone wants to be a writing buddy. Someone had nicked BookCat!!!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #23
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm not sure if I'll be doing it this year - last year I got 20k done and then got jumped by a contract to ghostwrite a novel. This year I'm editing SF shorts, and have a couple of ghostwriting gigs so I may not have the time to devote to it.

I'll be with you in spirit.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #24
tammycravit
Enthusiast
tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm in, too, though I've not decided 100% what I'm doing. On paper, I'm going to be a "rebel" and use NaNo to finally finish and rewrite the novel I've been working on forever. But, I may yet change my mind and tackle writing the first book in a second series I've been mulling over forever. We'll see what happens.
tammycravit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #25
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Cheater!!

I've been procrastinating hardcore. My goal was to finish Hills before NaNo, and I've got two chapters left, none of which seem to be the end of the book yet.

This is kind of a bummer, I was hoping for a bigger turnout this year.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
markstani
markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hadn't heard of this until today. It's tempting. I mean, it's only a month out of your writing life - a month which would otherwise more than likely be spend dawdling over forums such as this and putting off that re-edit of some old piece you've written - before you know it, the month's up and (in theory) you've got, at worst, 50,000 words of potential copy.

Mark Staniforth
author, Fryupdale
FREE via fryupdale.blogspot.com
markstani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Edwards View Post
I'm participating :-). Haven't decided what I'm going to work on yet, though. *They don't call me The Queen of Procrastination for nothing ;-)

Sandy
If you're the Queen, then I'm the King/Emperor ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've signed up for this year, my first time at nano. I have a rough idea what I'm writing, but nothing as specific as an outline. I love the notion of flying by the seat of my pants and seeing what happens.
Don't ask me why, but I've just this past hour signed up....

No real idea of what I'm going to do, but NaNo's been mentioned on MR over last couple of years enough to get me intrigued.

50,000 words is obviously doable, otherwise the project wouldn't be there!

I like the notion, mentioned above, about 5 short stories linked to a whole. Wonder if it could be written epic-poetry style?

Lots to think about .... I've signed up, but whether anything will materialise from my brain/fingers and PC is anyones guess ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #28
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I expected the consensus among most of you to be anti-NaNoWriMo. I thought that since you have all written (and published) novel length works already, that you'd consider it to be a bit of a stunt. But after reading some of the replies to this thread, and learning more about NaNoWriMo, I suppose that it can be whatever you want it to be. And I also suppose that writing every day for a month can't be a bad thing, no matter what the result. {Getting tempted}
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Writers ?

What gives you the idea we are all writers on here?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #30
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Writers ?

What gives you the idea we are all writers on here?
It was based on who I had seen respond to the thread at the time of my post. I guess being mislabeled as a "writer" can be very traumatic...
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote