Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
WillW
Connoisseur
WillW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Cured of Kobo

I was delighted when my H20 edition 2 arrived three days early. I really liked the look and feel of it, and the larger screen, and I liked the on/off button on the back as well. I was looking forward to spending the afternoon getting accustomed to it.
Alas, it was all too short-lived, and my heart sank when the screen lit up. It was even worse than the Clara I sent back last week.
When I took it back and explained what the issue was, the bloke in Argos said he'd have to check it. I told him to try it in a darker room, but he said "oh dear, no need, I see what you mean." He asked me if I'd like a replacement, and I said not likely, I'll take the money.
Such a shame, and absolutely no excuse for it. It's just shoddy build quality, and no quality control. Perhaps I'm being picky, but I don't think so. Maybe I've been unlucky, but two dodgy brand new devices in a row..?
I guess I'll be sticking with my old, evenly lit, reliable Kindle 2 for the time being.

I wanted to post a picture, but the insert image button just asks me to enter the URL. Can't I simply insert the image off my hard drive? URL? What URL?
WillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW View Post
I wanted to post a picture, but the insert image button just asks me to enter the URL. Can't I simply insert the image off my hard drive? URL? What URL?
You can attach a picture and that will allow you to upload it from your hard drive.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
WillW
Connoisseur

Thanks. Hopefully here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4450.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	172465  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
pdurrant
Jolly Christmouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The lighting does seem a bit uneven.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
FrustratedReader
Ancient Sceptic
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
The Aura H2O original is perfectly even, though I've only used the light during powercuts to save on candles.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Hmmm, I wonder, do you often find yourself in the habit of reading pages with nearly no text on them? Must take you a lot of page flipping to get through a novel...

What I see "appears" to be a display cranked way brighter than most people could stand to read on, because of the brightness, even with 5% or so of it's area filled with black text, and so the halo effect is prominent around the LEDs at the screen edge because of the extreme contrast and brightness? Perhaps, I'm wrong, but I wonder if you adjusted it to extremes to make a point, or if you actually tried to adjust it to comfortably read on it and what it looked like then? Are you in the habit of cranking the brightness and reading with your sunglasses on while attempting to tan under the additional wattage? (it won't work, very little IR/UV component...)

Admittedly, I have only a Touch & an original Glo these days, but I've owned several frontlit readers and returned all but the Kobos in the end as the lighting was no better and they all exhibited some halo effects at the LEDs since they are somewhat wide angle, but still ultimately "point sources". The Glo has served well for some 6+ years, but I don't crank it so the background looks like a 100W bulb behind a sheet of paper as that amount of light hitting the eyes is somewhat unpleasant. My Glo makes a handy flashlight if cranked up!

You do perhaps make the point that considering the size of surface mount LEDs these days one must wonder why all manufacturers don't distribute more of them along the edge, or along two or four edges and perhaps alleviate some minor suffering by producing an even more evenly lit background? My guess, is that for most people it isn't worth it as they don't expect to reasonably read with a background far brighter than the reflected light one would normally get from a regular page of paper under "ideal" reading conditions...

Enjoy your Kindle.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
WillW
Connoisseur

The brighter patches at the edges are there at around 30%, which is where we checked it in the shop. I used the blank page for the image because it showed the general unevenness better.
Them's the facts. I have to believe this isn't true of all Kobos. My only experience has been with two. They were both shite. A shame, I wanted to like them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	749.8 KB
ID:	172468  
Old 07-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
The brighter patches at the edges are there at around 30%, which is where we checked it in the shop. I used the blank page for the image because it showed the general unevenness better.
Them's the facts. I have to believe this isn't true of all Kobos. My only experience has been with two. They were both shite. A shame, I wanted to like them
i'm sorry you've had such a bad experience, the photos do seem to show some light bleed which i'm very surprised about because no one on here to the best of my knowledge as mentioned the H2O edition 2 having that issue it's only been the Clara HD.

i agree quality control=lacking is an understatement to say the least on some of the new devices.

there is a possible light at the end of the tunnel. the original H2O as 4GB of bulit in memory instead of 8GB but unlike the H2O edition 2 it as an external micro SD card slot which supports up to 32GB of storage.

it only as a normal light not the comfort light but it does have one of the best/clearest screens of any kobo ereader. i have the original Aura 6" the only reason i didn't buy the original H2O is because i prefer the smaller size.

apologies for going on i'd like to say it's something new but it's not here's the link just in case you want to have a look they only have one left.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kobo-Aura-e...gateway&sr=8-4

best wishes koboy
koboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
WillW
Connoisseur

I was surprised too. All reports here seemed to confirm that this wasn't an issue on the H20.

Thanks for the heads up re the earlier device. I'll have a scout around the earlier models to see if I can be tempted back into the fold, but I'm kind of sceptical...

The idea of getting a Kobo was really a back up plan for whenever (if) Amazon withdraw support for the early version of Kindle for PC/Mac (still compatible with Calibre). I never had any complaints about the Kindle screen resolution or lighting, but then I saw the larger H20 screen with its adjustable light tone and fancied upgrading.
Consumerism red in tooth & claw
I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was surprised too. All reports here seemed to confirm that this wasn't an issue on the H20.

Thanks for the heads up re the earlier device. I'll have a scout around the earlier models to see if I can be tempted back into the fold, but I'm kind of sceptical...

The idea of getting a Kobo was really a back up plan for whenever (if) Amazon withdraw support for the early version of Kindle for PC/Mac (still compatible with Calibre). I never had any complaints about the Kindle screen resolution or lighting, but then I saw the larger H20 screen with its adjustable light tone and fancied upgrading.
Consumerism red in tooth & claw
I appreciate your input. Thanks.
your welcome. if you do decide on the original H2O please check back i'd be interested to know your opinion on it.

best wishes koboy
Old 07-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
WillW
Connoisseur

There are a lot of variations. The Aura 1 (N709) looks interesting, but seemingly unavailable.

But ah, yes, I see the original h20 has the same size screen as the edition 2. May be worth a try as it's availaible from Amazon. Easy to return anyway. I shall think on it over the weekend

Last edited by WillW; 07-19-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I think I've already suggested this but have a look at the PocketBook; made by the Swiss. Or were you the one that gave them the thumbs down?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
WillW
Connoisseur

Thanks, yes I did look at the PocketBook. It's probably more device than I need - just want it for reading. There were a few negative posts on the forum too which turned me off.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
koboy
Guru

Quote:
There are a lot of variations. The Aura 1 (N709) looks interesting, but seemingly unavailable.

But ah, yes, I see the original h20 has the same size screen as the edition 2. May be worth a try as it's availaible from Amazon. Easy to return anyway. I shall think on it over the weekend
it doesn't have the comfort light but the lighting will be how it should be=even, and it as the external micro SD card slot which is another advantage over the edition 2 because you have up to 32GB of storage instead of only 8GB. it's a very good price and like you say very easy to return if your not 100% happy. bare in mind they do only have 1 left in stock.

best wishes koboy
Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
WillW
Connoisseur

The comfort light isn't a deal breaker; the larger screen is the real temptation. I really wont ever need even 8GB storage. I have hundreds of books on the Kindle, which I think has less than 2 GB.
Is that a good price? It's the same as the edition 2.

Last edited by WillW; 07-19-2019 at 06:24 PM.