Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Kobo and Calibre

Problem I haven't had before. I can't import Kobo files into Calibre. Using Windows 10, I have deleted and redownloaded the book. Deleted and redownloaded the app and redownloaded the book (any book - I tried additional ones that I've downloaded before). This worked fine a month ago. Any ideas? I do have Adobe 2.0 installed and downloaded epub (which is likely kepub).

When I import, I get an error. Here are the details:

Failed to add the file C:\Users\Steph\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub\5b6f5657-f0b5-455f-8fab-826bc26404d3 to the book: 5b6f5657-f0b5-455f-8fab-826bc26404d3
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 445, in add_formats
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1429, in add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1394, in _do_add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1517, in add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1224, in construct_file_name
ValueError: Extension length too long: 98
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Problem I haven't had before. I can't import Kobo files into Calibre. Using Windows 10, I have deleted and redownloaded the book. Deleted and redownloaded the app and redownloaded the book (any book - I tried additional ones that I've downloaded before). This worked fine a month ago. Any ideas? I do have Adobe 2.0 installed and downloaded epub (which is likely kepub).

Spoiler:
Failed to add the file C:\Users\Steph\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub\5b6f5657-f0b5-455f-8fab-826bc26404d3 to the book: 5b6f5657-f0b5-455f-8fab-826bc26404d3
With error:
Nothing to do with ADE unless you are manually downloading an epub from Kobo in which case you should be looking in your "My Digital Editions" directory not the directory using by the Kobo Desktop app.

At a WEG, what you are doing is trying to import a kepub. Check the Obok plugin from the DeDRM package for allowing kepub imports to calibre with optional DRM removal and with human readable authors and titles.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-14-2019 at 12:20 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Obok doesn't work until you have imported the Kobo file into Calibre. I've done this repeatedly in the past and never received this error on import. I did run the Obok plugin on this file and it gives me the error listed below. The only thing that has changed in the last month is within the last two weeks, I started Calibre and all my plugins were missing and my libraries were no longer available on the main menu. Nothing was lost, I just had to put the plugins back into main menu and reinstall the libraries. So, I'm starting to think it is related to what happened to that. If it is something I crunched in Calibre, what is the best way to fix that?

calibre, version 3.44.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Steph\\AppData\\Local\\Kobo\\Kobo Desktop Edition\\kepub\\41f05e6b-56f4-477f-bf17-0086be248269'

calibre 3.44 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.17763-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17763')
Python 2.7.15+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17763', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 1) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 1) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && EpubSplit (2, 7, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 1) && KFX Input (1, 17, 1) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && EpubCheck (0, 1, 8) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 3, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 5, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 30, 0) && KFX Output (1, 30, 0) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 0) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15)
File "calibre_plugins.obok_dedrm.dialogs", line 272, in do_book_action
File "calibre_plugins.obok_dedrm.action", line 219, in get_decrypted_kobo_books
File "calibre_plugins.obok_dedrm.action", line 373, in decryptBook
File "zipfile.py", line 779, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Steph\\AppData\\Local\\Kobo\\Kobo Desktop Edition\\kepub\\41f05e6b-56f4-477f-bf17-0086be248269'

Last edited by Tarana; 07-14-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:18 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

With error:
That error is because the file you are adding doesn't have an extension. That is the way that the Kobo desktop application downloads the file. Adding ".epub" or ".kepub" as the extension to the file will allow the book to be added. Assuming that it doesn't have DRM. If it does, then you need to use Obok.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:46 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Obok doesn't work until you have imported the Kobo file into Calibre.
That isn't correct. Obok gets the list of available books from the database that the Kobo desktop application uses. Then it copies the file from the directory and adds it to the calibre library.
Quote:
I've done this repeatedly in the past and never received this error on import. I did run the Obok plugin on this file and it gives me the error listed below. The only thing that has changed in the last month is within the last two weeks, I started Calibre and all my plugins were missing and my libraries were no longer available on the main menu. Nothing was lost, I just had to put the plugins back into main menu and reinstall the libraries. So, I'm starting to think it is related to what happened to that. If it is something I crunched in Calibre, what is the best way to fix that?

calibre, version 3.44.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Steph\\AppData\\Local\\Kobo\\Kobo Desktop Edition\\kepub\\41f05e6b-56f4-477f-bf17-0086be248269'

calibre 3.44 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.17763-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17763')
Python 2.7.15+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17763', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 1) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 1) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && EpubSplit (2, 7, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 17, 1) && KFX Input (1, 17, 1) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && EpubCheck (0, 1, 8) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 3, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 5, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 30, 0) && KFX Output (1, 30, 0) && Read MP3 AudioBook metadata (1, 0, 79) && Obok DeDRM (6, 5, 4) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 0) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 24) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15)
File "calibre_plugins.obok_dedrm.dialogs", line 272, in do_book_action
File "calibre_plugins.obok_dedrm.action", line 219, in get_decrypted_kobo_books
File "calibre_plugins.obok_dedrm.action", line 373, in decryptBook
File "zipfile.py", line 779, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Steph\\AppData\\Local\\Kobo\\Kobo Desktop Edition\\kepub\\41f05e6b-56f4-477f-bf17-0086be248269'
I just tested Obok here for the first time in months. It added both books both with and without DRM with no problems.

The error, which has nothing to do with DRM, is that the file for the book is missing. The Obok plugin works from the database in the kepub book directory. That is used to connect the files with the details. I think if you tried to read that book in the Kobo desktop application, you would get an error. Or it might redownload the file.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-14-2019 at 01:57 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Tarana
Wizard

I opened Calibre today, ran Obok expecting the same thing and...... it worked. I changed nothing. Why did it work today and not for the last few days? No idea. But I do appreciate the explanations. It helps me understand how these things work.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I opened Calibre today, ran Obok expecting the same thing and...... it worked. I changed nothing. Why did it work today and not for the last few days? No idea. But I do appreciate the explanations. It helps me understand how these things work.
Did you run the Kobo Desktop application? This might have downloaded the missing book(s) for you. Much like calibre, I prefer not to muck with the files in the Kobo desktop app's kepub folder -- database inconsistencies are not my idea of fun.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote