Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There have been some color eReaders (based on ‘Triton’), but there were not enough people buying them to sustain a market.
Let us not forget Mirasol which did reach the market. Then there was Liquavista that never made it to the market as an ereader display.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:32 AM   #47
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
There have been some color eReaders (based on ‘Triton’), but there were not enough people buying them to sustain a market. And they were, frankly, crap.
There were not enough people buying them *because* they were frankly crap.
Those clearink demo does not look like crap.
If they will put out something good and cheap enough, we will buy it.
Also, it's something that i think we need to personally see.

Story:
I heard speaking about kindles for months and i didn't got why a reasonable person should buy just another device to stack up with smartphone, tablet and laptop just for reading, just because the battery was lasting a month.
Who will ever want to read on a screen.
Then i saw some exposed waiting for a commute plane.
And first thought was "oh, why they left a printed demo film on the turned off screen!"
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2019, 04:35 AM   #48
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Some day, with advances in nanotechnology, we’ll have a perfectly paper like display with great color, but it is probably 10 years out: after all, physics does not preclude such a thing.
I don't disagree in principle, but I think your timescale is off by at least a factor or two. If we see a device with such a display before 2040 I'll be surprised.

(I'm hoping that CLEARInk will let me make money on a bet I have on about colour displays - I was once an optimist too.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sadly Mirasol is Qualcomm, almost patent trolls. There was a model used it, with two bookshop brandings in Asia. The Royalty costs are too high. Also Qualcomm famously "double dips", their royalty charge is based on total price of anything using their technology.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #50
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Sadly Mirasol is Qualcomm, almost patent trolls. There was a model used it, with two bookshop brandings in Asia. The Royalty costs are too high. Also Qualcomm famously "double dips", their royalty charge is based on total price of anything using their technology.
The main problem with Mirasol was that its viewing angle was very small.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #51
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The main problem with Mirasol was that its viewing angle was very small.
It's crappiness may have varied with angle, but it was crappy at any angle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's bad news. A big advantage of eink is that it's almost totally insensitive to viewing angle, unlike LCD.

That would be a big fail if it's much worse than LCD.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #53
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There have been multiple colour ereaders that have reached the market and disappeared without a trace. It would appear that most people don't see the need for colour when most of what is being read is black text on white (or white text on black for those who prefer).
Yes but they didn't sell because they were expensive and complete garbage. Non of the color screens have been any good and that's why they didn't sell.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:20 AM   #54
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's crappiness may have varied with angle, but it was crappy at any angle.
*Laughs* ^^This!
Old 07-05-2019, 04:25 AM   #55
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
That's bad news. A big advantage of eink is that it's almost totally insensitive to viewing angle, unlike LCD.

That would be a big fail if it's much worse than LCD.
IPS Panels have great viewing angles. Nearly everything is using IPS now. You can thank Apple. HP and others used crappy TN panels until Apple started using them in Ipad's. That was a game changer. No longer could they sell laptops and convertibles with awful panels if they wanted to compete.

But back on topic. Great viewing angles are a must. I am a complete screen nazi.

I think we will get color one day. But I think Amazon will release its own crypto currency before we get it.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #56
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
If it is Rheumatoid Arthritis or Inflammation, pick you up some Moringa on Amazon.[...] It is amazing, its nature, no side effect and works better than anything my doctor ever gave me and I told him so lol.
(a) this is not the place for unsolicited medical advice; (b) there is no evidence Moringa is helpful in RA, there are adverse effects with some parts of the plant being particularly toxic, it is not necessarily safe in pregnancy, and it has the potential for significant drug interactions.

Last edited by meeera; 07-06-2019 at 12:06 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #57
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
(a) this is not the place for unsolicited medical advice; (b) there is no evidence Moringa is helpful in RA, there are adverse effects with some parts of the plant being particularly toxic, it is not necessarily safe in pregnancy, and it has the potential for significant drug interactions.
I should have been clearer. The only part of the plant that is sold on Amazon is the Leaf which is completely safe. The plant isn't a drug its a vegetable. It's the bark and roots you are not supposed to consume. As for Medical, saying it works. I doubt they ever will, its a vegetable. They can't patent it. There is a guy on youtube also who was taking a 2 thousand dollar shot a month because he couldn't even take off his shirt. Moringa has him out of pain. Its for everyone to do their own research. Try it or don't try it, I really don't care. But I do appreciate any information someone may have that I don't know about that pertains to my issue. That's how I learned of it myself. If no one had told me, I'd still be in pain. But I'm not selling anything, just giving info because someone mentioned their problem. Sorry if that offended anyone.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #58
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: N/A
Quote:
E-Ink and all it's related tech has been gimped by patents and greed. It really upsets me as reflective tech could have been so much farther along and I really need it as LCDs are becoming more and more offensive to my eyes with PWM, dithering, constant LEDs shining at you etc.
FlyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #59
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Perhaps a resurgence of the hard buttons for paging? A boon for those of us who nibble while reading & dipping a hand into a bag of chips.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:30 AM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

They want to save the 30c, so unlikely, esp. with stupid fashion to have no 3.5mm jack or buttons on phones & tablets.

Tags
e-ink, ereaders, kindle, kobo