Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2019, 11:37 PM   #151
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I do wonder about this.

I've unpacked and compared customer and factory firmware versions of both PW3 5.9.6.1 and PW4 5.10.1.3. In both cases, they were identical except for /usr/local/ on factory.

To be honest, I'm guessing the reason we're even able to extract factory firmware is because that's what gets loaded to the Kindle and the excess stuff is just removed via ;shpm.
Open the u-image package and check there ...
That is where updates happen.

Hmm...
You may need access to a Linux system (a Kindle should do) to take the image apart into a directory layout.
The backup script that I posted here includes the utility to test the u-image files, so I bet that the same utility will take them apart for you.
But then, maybe I have forgotten what it was that I did back then.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #152
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The time to install consumer use firmware is after the hotfix install. Only then is it time to install MRPI, KUAL, etc. The instructions are in a particular order for a reason.

You need to reinstall the packages.
I went back and redid the MRPI, Booklet, and search bar per instructions. Did the search bar thing and it worked. I copied the librariansync folder into the extensions folder. I didn't redo Python. Now when I select either Rebuild or Update collections from calibre, Librarian Sync just sits there with a message that it's updating and nothing ever happens. Should I reinstall Python?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #153
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jangell2: Yes. (Basically, everything that came from a .bin).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #154
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jangell2: Yes. (Basically, everything that came from a .bin).
To that list of everything I did, include Python and Collections are working again. Now time to finish the setup of the kindle, register, connect to wifi.

thank you again.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #155
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Open the u-image package and check there ...
That is where updates happen.

Hmm...
You may need access to a Linux system (a Kindle should do) to take the image apart into a directory layout.
The backup script that I posted here includes the utility to test the u-image files, so I bet that the same utility will take them apart for you.
But then, maybe I have forgotten what it was that I did back then.
Would that be the uImage in the update.bin/imx60_wario/ (as extracted by KindleTool)?

I didn't extract the contents of uImage but the uImage package/file itself from both customer and factory update.bin were binary identical.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 07-01-2019 at 03:22 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #156
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Would that be the uImage in the update.bin/imx60_wario/ (as extracted by KindleTool)?

I didn't extract the contents of uImage but the uImage package/file itself from both customer and factory update.bin were binary identical.
Yes, that would be the package.
If they are identical, that means they contain conditionals that make a difference in what they load.

Back in K5 and earlier, the initramfs was binary, not scripted (scripted is/was common elsewhere).
Also, Amazon/Lab126 failed to include the GPL-v2 source code for those binaries.

I have not check any recent firmware versions to know if those practices have changed since the K5 days.

Of all the initramfs and kernel files I posted over the years, if anyone disassembled them, nobody reported anything.
IDA does a decent job of such binaries, but keep in mind, the freeware version does not support ARM, only IDA-Pro ($$$) supports non-Intel.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #157
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The factory updater is/was in the initramfs, and, back when the demo version of IDA did support ARM, that came mildly handy to double-check some stuff w/ KindleTool. But since I don't speak assembly, I never really did dive into it .
Old 07-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #158
taiyo
taiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
I've been visiting this forum for more than 2 years looking for a jailbreak for my Kindle. I thought the latest jailbreak was 5.8.7. How did I not notice this post? Was it not visible to guests/non-members of this forum?
taiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #159
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiyo View Post
I've been visiting this forum for more than 2 years looking for a jailbreak for my Kindle. I thought the latest jailbreak was 5.8.7. How did I not notice this post? Was it not visible to guests/non-members of this forum?
It’s available to guests. It’s just not very active so it’s easily buried under all the new threads and other posts unless you diligently check the Kindle Developer’s Corner subforum daily.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #160
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiyo View Post
Available to guests and non-members.
IIRC, this thread has remained on the first page of the index page for 7 months if using the "general" prefix.
You could also use the "PW3" prefix, there are only 2 index pages available with PW3 prefixes.

Hmm....
Been following this forum for two years without every joining?
Never have noticed any of the PW3 jailbreaks at least a year newer than 5.8.7?
There has to be some reason you managed to skip all of those posts over the past two years.

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #161
taiyo
taiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
It’s available to guests. It’s just not very active so it’s easily buried under all the new threads and other posts unless you diligently check the Kindle Developer’s Corner subforum daily.
I checked every month or two. Must have gotten buried under the new threads.

Quote:
Hmm....
Been following this forum for two years without every joining?
Never have noticed any of the PW3 jailbreaks at least a year newer than 5.8.7?
I think I joined using a different email and the account got logged out/I forgot the password.

Anyway, I can finally jailbreak my Kindle. Doing it right now. Thanks.
taiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:17 AM   #162
HoanPiTa
Enthusiast
HoanPiTa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3
Any one feel battery drain so much after jailbreak? Any way to resolve it?

Gửi từ COL-L29 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk
HoanPiTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

A likely culprit would be the OTA blocking. Make sure you do it via the KUAL helper extension, it does something different to help with that.

Don't update to 5.12.x, as we probably can't prevent that one from doing evil stuff.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #164
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoanPiTa View Post
My comment is wrong but i cant delete it. Sorry
You can edit it using the "Edit" button to the left of the "Quote" button.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #165
HoanPiTa
Enthusiast
HoanPiTa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You can edit it using the "Edit" button to the left of the "Quote" button.
Hi. Does battery drain because i install too much extension?

Gửi từ COL-L29 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk
HoanPiTa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak