Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #76
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not into mindless entertainment in any form. I enjoy thinking.

I am with you.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #77
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
. I am just as mentally engaged when watching TV as I am when I'm reading a book. If I weren't, I would be watching it. I'm not into mindless entertainment in any form. I enjoy thinking.
Same for me. I’m quite surprised by the article. My parents both read to the end of their lives. I retired fairly recently, and my reading time has definitely increased simply because I have so much more leisure.

I worked such long days that I did collapse in front of the tv sometimes. But I’ve only ever watched things I’m genuinely interested in.

Maybe it’s a remnant of the protestant work ethic, but I’m not comfortable watching tv during the day - it’s an evening activity. But since vcrs became available in the mid 70’s, there’s never been any need to watch boring mindless tv.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:01 AM   #78
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Even if you don’t want to join KU, they give away one title free (almost) every Saturday.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Hollist.../dp/B01IM29KAS
The 17th volume is free at the moment - no idea how much longer!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IM29KAS
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:08 AM   #79
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The 17th volume is free at the moment - no idea how much longer!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IM29KAS
You linked 14, which isn't free. Link to 17:

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Hollist.../dp/B06XKGK112
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #80
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You linked 14, which isn't free. Link to 17:

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Hollist.../dp/B06XKGK112
Thanks for fixing it!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #81
FizzyWater

Wow - today, it's number 24! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...oreType=ebooks

I should probably look to find if there's a "free/bargain children's books" thread out there.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #82
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Wow - today, it's number 24! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...oreType=ebooks

I should probably look to find if there's a "free/bargain children's books" thread out there.
Here's the children's deal thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271338
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #83
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #84
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If anyone is interested in what the Pulitzer Prize winning New Yorker television critic has to say in defense of television watching as a regular pastime, Emily Nussbaum has written I Like to Watch, published 2019 June 25 (as a 384 page book).

I have not read it, but I heard her interviewed on the The New Yorker Radio Hour a few weeks ago and was reasonably impressed. That show is available via podcast.

In addition, she will be interviewed tomorrow (Monday) on Fresh Air on NPR in the US (also available via podcast). As far as I know, NPR podcasts are freely available at no charge internationally.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #85
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Personally I don't know how much TV-watching is normal. I only know a few things:

- My grandfather, and now my father, don't do anything else but watch TV from the moment they get out of bed until they go to sleep. The only time in the day they don't watch TV is while going to the toilet or when eating.

- I never watch TV, at least not broadcast cable. I took cable TV with my internet subscription because I didn't know how much my GF would watch TV after moving in with me. Turns out she doesn't, except for the morning news. If either me or she wants to watch something, we know exactly what it is, be it a movie, a documentary, or some kind of series. Therefore I'm considering to cut cable TV and get a Netflix subscription.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #86
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I don't think that there's any "normal" where TV watching is concerned. I watch TV (well, streaming services, and I am quite particular about what I will watch) every night, and I read in the daytime, but not for long periods or I fall asleep (I have a sleep disorder, its not about boredom with a book... if I watched TV in the daytime it would have the same effect). On balance, its probably 4 hours TV to 2 hours reading. Then theres the rest of your life.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote