Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Coyotito
Coyotito began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o 1st ed
Seending books to E-reader through mobile phone calibre app?

greetings community!
Can someone please tell me if its possible if its to send books on to my Kobo e-reader through Calibre Phone App like it is possible to do in the computer Calibre version?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Coyotito; 03-27-2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: It seems i didnt express myself properly
Coyotito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
You won't be able to charge you ereader with your phone at all. Phones are not designed to send power to other devices. Calibre has nothing to do with charging at all.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
You won't be able to charge you ereader with your phone at all. Phones are not designed to send power to other devices. Calibre has nothing to do with charging at all.
I suspect there is an English as an nth language / computer translation problem and the OP wants to use the Calibre phone app to put books onto a Kobo.

Maybe this should go in a Calibre forum.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm a little surprised it can't be done, depending on the phone. For example, https://www.quora.com/Can-a-battery-...les-wirelessly.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If you're looking for a small and portable charger, here is a nice (and cheap!) power bank:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RAVP...ateway&sr=8-15

I have a slightly different model of one of these with about twice the capacity. But for only $14.99 (after you apply the $1 off coupon the website shows) this is a great deal. eReaders do not have large capacity batteries, and even this small power bank will recharge an eReader a whole bunch of times. RAVpower is a very good and well respected brand too.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
He's not looking for chargers . He's asking if it's possible to send a book to a Kobo from (I'd guess) Calibre Companion on his phone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
He's not looking for chargers . He's asking if it's possible to send a book to a Kobo...
Oh. Ok, you might be able too, depending on if a Kobo can download a book directly from a (random) internet website.

On your phone, if it's Android, install the free app: "ASUS File Manager". This app can do many things, and one of those is to act as a webserver running on your phone. So you start up the ASUS File Manager and put it into "PC file transfer" mode. When you do this, the app will tell you the IP address where it can be accessed. Now go to your Kobo if it supports transferring books directly from a non-Kobo website. Have your Kobo connect to the website that is being hosted by your phone. Then download the eBook.

There are a couple of things you'll need to know about: First, is do you know where on your Kobo you need to put the eBook? (i.e., the location in the Kobo's file system?) Second, your cellphone and your Kobo must be able to route to each other over the network. In my case, this is easy, because I do this with my devices connected to my home router via WiFi. Thus they are on the same subnet and can route to each other (technically, no routing is necessary since it's the same subnet!)

I do this all the time to transfer audiobooks to my computer. My computer runs Linux, thus it is not supported by Overdrive (I known as an alternate solution I could run Overdrive under Wine, but that is irrelevant for this thread). I use my Kindle Fire HD8 tablet, with Overdrive installed, to get the audiobook from my library. Then I fire up the ASUS File Manager app on my Fire tablet. From my Linux computer, I use a standard web browser to connect to the website that is now being hosted on my Fire tablet. I then transfer the audiobook (a sequence of MP3 files) from the Fire tablet to my Linux computer. I also use the ASUS File Manager app to delete the original audiobook files from my Fire tablet after I have transferred them to my Linux computer (which is where I listen to them).

With the ASUS app, you can transfer things both from and to the device that is running that app - it's a two-way street. And just because the app is named "ASUS" does not mean that you have to be running on ASUS branded hardware to use it. The app is free, and runs on Android, regardless of what hardware your Android is running on.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #8
Coyotito

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
He's not looking for chargers . He's asking if it's possible to send a book to a Kobo from (I'd guess) Calibre Companion on his phone.

Correct, that is my question!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Oh. Ok, you might be able too, depending on if a Kobo can download a book directly from a (random) internet website.
The browser in the Kobo device can download books from the web. It isn't a very powerful browser, and doesn't support everything, so some sites won't work.

Another alternative is to use USB On-The-Go. This should work and has been suggested several times, but, I don't remember any reports of success or failure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:13 AM   #10
Coyotito

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I suspect there is an English as an nth language / computer translation problem and the OP wants to use the Calibre phone app to put books onto a Kobo.

Maybe this should go in a Calibre forum.
thanks for you directions, i'm new here, thought this was the calibre forum...
i adressed my question to the calibre forum.

thanks for yor time and for answering
Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #11
Coyotito

Quote:

On your phone, if it's Android, install the free app: "ASUS File Manager". This app can do many things, and one of those is to act as a webserver running on your phone. So you start up the ASUS File Manager and put it into "PC file transfer" mode. When you do this, the app will tell you the IP address where it can be accessed. Now go to your Kobo if it supports transferring books directly from a non-Kobo website. Have your Kobo connect to the website that is being hosted by your phone. Then download the eBook.

There are a couple of things you'll need to know about: First, is do you know where on your Kobo you need to put the eBook? (i.e., the location in the Kobo's file system?) Second, your cellphone and your Kobo must be able to route to each other over the network. In my case, this is easy, because I do this with my devices connected to my home router via WiFi. Thus they are on the same subnet and can route to each other (technically, no routing is necessary since it's the same subnet!)

I do this all the time to transfer audiobooks to my computer. My computer runs Linux, thus it is not supported by Overdrive (I known as an alternate solution I could run Overdrive under Wine, but that is irrelevant for this thread). I use my Kindle Fire HD8 tablet, with Overdrive installed, to get the audiobook from my library. Then I fire up the ASUS File Manager app on my Fire tablet. From my Linux computer, I use a standard web browser to connect to the website that is now being hosted on my Fire tablet. I then transfer the audiobook (a sequence of MP3 files) from the Fire tablet to my Linux computer. I also use the ASUS File Manager app to delete the original audiobook files from my Fire tablet after I have transferred them to my Linux computer (which is where I listen to them).

With the ASUS app, you can transfer things both from and to the device that is running that app - it's a two-way street. And just because the app is named "ASUS" does not mean that you have to be running on ASUS branded hardware to use it. The app is free, and runs on Android, regardless of what hardware your Android is running on.
thanks for your answer mate, i just realized iḿ in the general forum, i'll address my question to the Calibre forum.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #12
Coyotito

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The browser in the Kobo device can download books from the web. It isn't a very powerful browser, and doesn't support everything, so some sites won't work.

Another alternative is to use USB On-The-Go. This should work and has been suggested several times, but, I don't remember any reports of success or failure.
I'll look into that.

thank you!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
Coyotito

Quote:

thanks mate, i'll look up the ASUS file manager, and i'll adress my question to the Calibre forum to search for more specific info.
Bless
Old 07-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia742 View Post
Hi,
yes you can. I've read of others using Calibre to convert to kobo format just fine.
A bit late response but calibre really didn't come into the discussion as the OP wanted to connect to his phone running Calibre Companion not to a computer running calibre. Two very different programs.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote