Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nook Glowlight Plus has a 7.8" Screen, Will Retail for $199

B&N's next ereader will have a 7.8" screen.

I don't yet have all the info on the Nook Glowlight Plus (B&N sent out the press release, but they have not updated their website), but I can tell you it is waterproof, and has 8GB of storage, a color-shifting frontlight, and also*page turn buttons. And according to the FCC paperwork, it also has a headphone jack, and was tested for Wifi and Bluetooth.

It's going to be in stores next Monday.

The Digital Reader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOOKphoto.png
Views:	729
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	171589  

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-24-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
B&N's next ereader will have a 7.8" screen... it is waterproof, and has 8GB of storage, a color-shifting frontlight, and also*page turn buttons. And according to the FCC paperwork, it also has a headphone jack, and was tested for Wifi and Bluetooth.
That sounds like a very nice device. I'm one that doesn't want a 7.8" screen. But I'll still want to look at the device as I generally really like the design of Nooks.

It's funny they're reusing the Glowlight Plus name.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's funny they're reusing the Glowlight Plus name.
It's not funny; it's sad. Why confuse the issue? Are they too cheap to pay for a new trademark?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, who submits a press release for a new product without photos? Weird.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
That's a very nice price on a reader that size and it sounds as if it's loaded with all the options as well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Why confuse the issue?
They made a list of things amazon gets right and another one with things amazon gets wrong. Then the wrong list got put in the things to do stack.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not funny; it's sad. Why confuse the issue? Are they too cheap to pay for a new trademark?
Seriously? The Glowlight Plus is the place to take a stand? The iPad, Microsoft Surface, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Oasis names are used repeatedly for different products. But Glowlight Plus is where it becomes sad?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Also, who submits a press release for a new product without photos? Weird.
It's _still_ not on their site.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Seriously? The Glowlight Plus is the place to take a stand? The iPad, Microsoft Surface, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Oasis names are used repeatedly for different products. But Glowlight Plus is where it becomes sad?
As a veteran NOOK user, yes, it makes me sad. YMMV
Old 05-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's _still_ not on their site.
A marketing juggernaut, these guys.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Would you expect anything less than a bungled marketing effort out of B&N?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Would you expect anything less than a bungled marketing effort out of B&N?
I never stop hoping.

What I REALLY hope is that they've improved the software from the Glow 3.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Now there, I agree with you!

Hopefully ALL of the empty space is available for sideloading from the get-go, much like the original Glowlight Plus.

It was changing the partitions on the Glowlight 3 that cause the stability issues I believe. As my original Glowlight Plus is more stable and faster than my Glowlight 3.

Other than that, my only realistic hopes for improved Nook software are bring back the 'Current Read' button in the top left instead of the useless 'Profile' button that's there now, and stop nagging me to turn on the Wi-Fi. I know it's off. It saves battery.

If we're venturing into fantasy land, display series information on sideloaded books like Kobo does. And allow me to turn off the ads/book store recs that fill the bottom half of the home screen.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Will be watching with interest. But unless they really improve their software as to speed and managing sideloaded books, I'm not going to open my wallet.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I never stop hoping.

I agree. I want more formatting options (margins, line spacing, ...)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote