Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #16
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i don't know what the "best" android phone would be, but samsung would not be on that list. LG would not be on that list, either. the only other experience i've had with android phones would be the nexus and the pixel. for nexus, if the manufacturer is LG, i would avoid as well. i currently have a pixel 2 (manufactured by HTC). this is absolutely the best i've used so far. the pixel 2 xl (the larger version) is manufactured by LG...i would avoid.

Last edited by rem736; 05-03-2018 at 06:05 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i don't know what the "best" android phone would be, but samsung would not be on that list. LG would not be on that list, either. the only other experience i've had with android phones would be the nexus and the pixel. for nexus, if the manufacturer is LG, i would avoid as well. i currently have a pixel 2 (manufactured by HTC). this is absolutely the best i've used so far. the pixel 2 xl is manufactured by LG...i would avoid.
I'm no longer an Android fan, but I don't understand why you don't like LG. Their phones seem to have less built-in bloatware than most Android phones.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #18
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm no longer an Android fan, but I don't understand why you don't like LG. Their phones seem to have less built-in bloatware than most Android phones.
every LG phone i've encountered seems to have problems.
believe it or not, the very first dual core phone was made by LG and i bought it for that very reason. this was the LG G2. 6 months into it, it randomly rebooted. then other hardware failures started. it did not end until the screen (digitizer) became completely unresponsive. t-mobile (the carrier i used) would not take responsibility, and LG would not take responsibility. there was a whole forum full of people complaining about it. and even tmobile knew to remove it from their retail stores. from that time on, i kept an eye on every newly released phone made by LG for a couple of years after this. each one, when newly released cost upwards of $300.00 or more at release time (and this price is only with a service contract on top). just about 3 months after release, the phones have suddenly dropped to $50 (again, with a contract). though i can't be sure, i suspect that the price drop was due to "beta" testers finding problems with these phones. and even with the nexus 5x, there were problems. the major issue with the nexus 5x was the boot loop issue, widely publicized. i had a friend who had one for about a year and a half when it suddenly just would not boot at all. this happened overnight.

samsung just screws with android, thinking that it makes things simpler for users when the opposite is true.

ok. rant over.

correction: it was the LG G2X, not the G2. the G2X is a variant of the Optimus 2X

Last edited by rem736; 05-03-2018 at 06:25 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
My biggest desire is finding one that is not the size of a school bus...
Whenever I hear that argument, I think of Trigger Happy TV's cell phone guy.

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 PM   #20
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Samsung is certainly up there, but Pixel is as good if not better than the Galaxy. My problem with Samsung is they focus too much on cramming features into their phones however the user experience sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Apple phones have fewer bells and whistles but they are more refined and well thought out.

Personally, I think the Moto G5 Plus is the best value of any phone out there. It's fast, great battery life, comparable hardware features to Galaxy and Pixel, and runs a close to pure version of Android.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I get to play with quite a few phones at work. While I like some of the Android hardware, Apple has a much more consistent user interface compared to the seemingly endless variants of the Android UI. I get tired of playing "where does this variant of the Android UI hide the wireless MAC address" when troubleshooting wireless connections to the corporate MAN.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
shouldn't this be in the Android forum?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
shouldn't this be in the Android forum?
Not sure if any forum is really right for this thread as it seems to have little to do with reading.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-04-2018 at 10:08 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if any forum is really right for this thread as it seems to have little to do with reading.
True, but there have been many excellent responses from people, so obviously there is interest and knowledge/experience from our forum members. So is it really "off topic" if so many people are interested and participating?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #25
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Well, I've only had 3 smartphones; a Nokia that wasn't really very smart, an HTC One Max, which was great until they stopped Android updates - and 4 at years old the battery has died and in NOT replaceable,(phone repairman went white when I took i in, and he's Thai!), and my current Samsung Note8. Still loving that, though it's taken me a few months (and a keyboard download) to get it set up as I like it. Still finding wrinkles with it, I'm sure that I'm not using it to it's full potential. Yet.

So, in my somewhat limited experience, Samsung is best.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #26
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Now on note 8.
I miss my nexus 6.
First choice was a pixel XL 2, but not sold in France.

Not that the Note is bad, there are just some touchwiz stuff I don't like.
Like how they broke do not disturb. Well, google did that in android P too it seams
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #27
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I have a (new) Nokia 6, and that's the best phone for me because it offered the best price/performance ratio (for what I wanted) and checked my boxes: vanilla Android version, monthly security updates, major version upgrades even for the entry and mid range models.

If I lived on my phone, I'd either have a latest-model iPhone (prefer iOS to Android, except for the walled garden aspect) or a Pixel XL. But I don't use phones enough (or intensely enough) to want to spend more than around €250 for one.

I'm not a fan of Samsung's customized Android version.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
For *me* personally, the best Android phone ever is Yotaphone 2.
There is Yotaphone 3 available, but the programmers left out one very important feature - the mirroring of the main screen contents to the E-ink side.

Oh ... one more thing ... I do not use Yotaphone 2 as a phone but as an ultra-portable personal media center / e-ink reader. For actual making of actual phone-calls I use an ancient Nokia ;-).
I do not use Internet when not at home or at work. When I am on holiday I might connect once a day through some access-point to look up weather forecast or an opening hours for a museum.

By the way ... what is the best fruit?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #29
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Accepting all the above complaints about Samsung, I'm nevertheless surprised at Samsung receiving no love. Samsung owns me ever since Samsung Pay with its patented MST (Magnetic Strip Technology). I've never encountered a terminal that can't take Samsung Pay (Apple and Android Pay require NFC-equipped terminals), and it seems to almost beam membership cards (e.g., supermarket discount cards, library cards) with perfect accuracy.

That and the beautiful AMOLED screens and top-notch hardware, and some Samsung features I appreciate (Edge Panels, Samsung Health), and I'll be buying Samsung again as my next phone. It's top quality, and any bloat hasn't yet bothered me--heck, apps are easy enough to hide and/or disable with some organization (I rarely go to the app drawer).

I'm just too used to the freedom in Android for me to consider Apple, though others might prefer the more straightforward iOS rules. Automotive diagnostic apps are pretty much all going Android.

Agree with Kacir, my Yotaphone 2 has supplanted my Sony PRS-350 as my take-along reader because it's more pocketable. Plus the battery lasts and lasts when using the e-Ink screen.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #30
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I guess for me the best Android phone is the one I can afford and has what I need. Since I am prepaid, I have to pay out right for a phone and the top end ones are way out of my budget. I went from a MotoG, the early ones with smaller screen to a Zenphone which had its own look to it and now I have a MotoE plus I got at a bargain cause it came with amazon ads. Which they then promptly took off a couple of month later and I don't think they sell it anymore.

Best phone yet. I get 5 days battery life on that thing on average. Huge battery, all the stuff I need, nice screen. I couldn't think of anything I need it doesn't have. But I don't live on my phone. I use it, lots of apps, but I don't spend like all day on it.

I have not used a Samsung but hubby has one from work, along with his iphone and it looks and feels nice.

So many options out there now thankfully, including low range and mid range.
I have no use for an iphone because 1. they are way over my budget, 2. I have no ithingies and wouldn't know how to use it then.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote