Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #61
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I was waiting to see if someone who had never had a choice wanted to make a selection. If no one else wishes to make an attempt, I have in mind to follow Bookpossum's lead and will submit a selection of Anglo-Irish items including one translation from the Irish language.

Would that be all right with everyone? No offence taken if members prefer Sun Surfer's suggestion.
A good plan, Fantasyfan, I'll be looking forward to your nominations.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #62
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm rather thrilled that I seem to have started a trend! A choice of Anglo-Irish works for next month sounds very interesting, fantasyfan.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #63
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I was waiting to see if someone who had never had a choice wanted to make a selection. If no one else wishes to make an attempt, I have in mind to follow Bookpossum's lead and will submit a selection of Anglo-Irish items including one translation from the Irish language.

Would that be all right with everyone? No offence taken if members prefer Sun Surfer's suggestion.
I'm so happy you volunteered. As far as I'm concerned we don't ever have to have a second chance month; I only offered it to keep anyone from feeling pressured to volunteer at the last minute. I was hoping there might be people still contemplating volunteering this month.

Note to everyone - Because of the late date today, I will wait to ask fantasyfan for his nominations until 5th December.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #64
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
looking forward to an Irish month, too!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #65
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With Dubliners winning in the other club, it's going to be a very Irish month!
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #66
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
With Dubliners winning in the other club, it's going to be a very Irish month!
I'm delighted. I've been on an Irish book binge since summer.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #67
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh wow! Irish!

I've read plenty of Scottish authors, but I'm not sure I've read too many Irish authors. I was trying to line up John Banville The Sea when I could. I found it in a library and saw a wonderful documentary on him that someone posted at MR.

Really looking forward to the selections.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #68
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Hey! It's December 5 in Ireland. I wanna see the Irish books!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #69
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's time for December's selections. fantasyfan, cad iad na leabhair atá agat dúinn?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #70
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Golly!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #71
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It's time for December's selections. fantasyfan, cad iad na leabhair atá agat dúinn?
Here are the books I have for us.

All of the books except The Real Charlotte and The Islandman are available in epub in the iTunes Book Store.

“Amazon” refers to both the .com and the Uk stores.

In chronological order:

1. Melmoth the Wanderer: Charles Maturin {1820}

Spoiler:
This is one of the most famous gothic novels ever written and Maturin {Dean of St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin after Swift} pulls out all the stops of the genre. Melmoth has made a Satanic deal which he now finds not to his liking and is in search of someone in such dire straits that they will agree to take his place.

In the introduction to the Oxford edition Douglas Grant describes Maturin as “a brilliant psychologist of the perverse” and that while it clearly belongs to the tradition of Ann Radcliffe “it anticipates the psychological, metaphysical novel of the future. Dostoevsky and Kafka are low on the horizon. . . “

The novel was originally published in a much shorter version available in Feedboks and Project Gutenberg. The full length version is the longest of my selections running to over 560 pages in the Oxford edition. It does, however, divide into a series of linked vignettes.

It is available at Amazon, Kobo, and Feedbooks—generally at a moderate price.

2. The Real Charlotte: Edith Somerville and Martin Ross: {1894}

Spoiler:
Review from Amazon:
“A late Victorian novel creating a picture of the Anglo-Irish Ascendency, it is darker and more pessimistic than the light-hearted Irish RM. series. A long novel to say the least, this story of wonderfully weaved insanity, sexual jealousy and criminal activity, cannot fail to tug at those heart strings. A must read book over a long, long, long winter will soon have you selling up and moving straight to Lismoyle faster than you can say Charlotte Mullen!” --A. Customer

Available from Feedbooks and Amazon,it is a bit pricey, and one might prefer the pb format from ABE. A library with a good Anglo Irish selection should have it too.

3. The Crock of Gold: James Stephens {1912}

Spoiler:
‘When their hidden gold is stolen, the leprechauns of Gort na Cloca seek revenge from local villagers. Captivating, unique fantasy, written by one of modern Ireland’s best-loved authors, abounds with bizarre adventures, curious characters, and weird sights. A wise and beautiful fairy tale for grown–ups, "full of sympathy and tenderness and sly satire, of merriment and of poetry."—The New York Times.

This engaging fantasy is free in multiple formats in Many Books and Feedbooks. It is purchasable in Kobo and Amazon

4. The Islandman AKA The Islander by Tomas O’Crohan {1923} Two translations available.

Spoiler:
A powerful autobiography originally written in beautiful Irish, this is a remarkable description of the life on The Great Blasket Island--the most westerly point in Europe. The most famous translation is that of Robin Flower who knew the author intimately, loved the island culture, and lived at intervals on the island.

“His books are considered classics of Irish-language literature containing portrayals of a unique way of life, now extinct, of great human, literary, linguistic, and anthropological interest. His writing is vivid, absorbing and delightful, full of incident and balance, fine observation and good sense, elegance and restraint”--Wikipedia

A more recent translation: The Islander, is that of Gary Bannister which claims to include passages deleted in Flower’s translation on the grounds that they were too earthy. I haven’t read the Bannister version but personally I liked Flower’s ability to convey the atmosphere of the Island and the character of the man.

Both translations are available on Amazon, while Kobo has The Islander.

5. At Swim Two Birds: Flann O’Brien [1939}

Spoiler:
Heavily influenced by Joyce, it shares the linguistic exuberance of Flann’s mentor.

“Flann O'Brien's first novel is a brilliant impressionistic jumble of ideas, mythology and nonsense. Operating on many levels it incorporates plots within plots, giving full rein to O'Brien's dancing intellect and Celtic wit. The undergraduate narrator lives with his uncle in Dublin, drinks too much with his friends and invents stories peopled with hilarious and unlikely characters, one of whom, in a typical O'Brien conundrum, creates a means by which women can give birth to full-grown people. Flann O'Brien's blend of farce, satire and fantasy result in a remarkable, astonishingly innovative book.” --Amazon

Available at Feedbooks, Amazon, and Kobo

6. My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories by Frank O’Connor {from The Collected Stories, 1957}

Spoiler:
O’Connor is one of the very greatest Irish short story writers. He believed in selecting a “Glowing centre of action” that straddles past and future and that somehow affects the life and growth of a character through their own choice. His characters bear the responsibility for their own fate--be it good or bad. This collection includes such memorable tales as “First Confession”, “The Majesty of the Law”, “Uprooted”, and the title story.

Available at Amazon and Kobo

7. Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan {1958}

Spoiler:
“In this vivid memoir of his time in Hollesley Bay Borstal, Suffolk, England, an original voice in Irish literature boomed out from its pages. The language is both acerbic and delicate, the portrayal of inmates and "screws" cerebral. For a Republican, though, it is not a vitriolic attack on Britain; it delineates Behan's move away from violence. By the end the idealistic boy rebel emerges as a realistic young man who recognises the truth: violence, especially political violence, is futile. Kenneth Tynan, the 1950s literary critic said: ‘While other writers hoard words like misers, Behan sends them out on a spree, ribald, flushed, and spoiling for a fight.’ He was now established as one of the leading Irish writers of his generation.”—Wikipedia

Available at Amazon, Kobo, and Feedbooks

8. Under the Eye of the Clock by Christopher Nolan {1989}

Spoiler:
“This is the story of Joseph Meehan, born cruelly handicapped and known to the world as “the crippled boy”. Filled with insight into the soul inside a broken body and warm with the beauties of the Irish landscape it is the story of Joseph’s fight to escape the restrictions and confines of his existence. Under the Eye of the Clock can also be read as the autobiography of its author, Christopher Nolan.”--Amazon

“Nolan's autobiography Under the Eye of the Clock (published 1987), won the Whitbread Award and was named Book of the Year. Although it's an autobiography it is narrated by a fictional character named Joseph Meehan who details Nolan's life as a third-person biography. The book reveals the deep relationship between Nolan and his mother, whom he calls Nora. Under the Eye of the Clock shows how Nolan's parents engaged him in conversation and outdoor activities like hiking and horseback riding. Under the Eye of the Clock was a best seller in Britain and the United States. Nolan's writing style is often compared to James Joyce, and Dylan Thomas.” --Wikipedia

Amazon, Kobo, Feedbooks all have it.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-05-2013 at 04:37 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Oh, my tottering TBR list!

I'm going to eliminate Behan and Nolan as the only two I've read, since I have to start somewhere. The rest is going to take more thought.

I was curious about the legal status of The Real Charlotte and I see that Edith Somerville died as recently as 1949, so another year plus to go on her in life+75. The Canadians and Australians (as she's in that first tier) are in luck, however. I checked an off-shore Kobo site and it's available as a free download, but I have no idea how readable the copy is.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #73
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The poll is now up! Which book from the land of Éire will be chosen?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #74
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2

I haven't read any of these, and now I want to read all of them. Where to start...how to vote?

This may some time.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #75
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Who would like to be the first volunteer of 2014 and take their turn selecting the nominations for the upcoming rotating month in February?

(if you have any questions, you can refer to the first post or just ask)