Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #46
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat View Post
I've finished all the Jack Reacher books as well as the Harry Bosch series. I really enjoyed the Millennium Trilogy and started reading a number of Scandinavian police procedurals. Kjell Eriksson's books were pretty good too. One of the best series I have ever read was the Martin Beck series by the team of Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. I just started Iris Johansen's 'Close Your Eyes'.
Any suggestions on another series?
Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse)
R. D. Wingfield (Inspector Jack Frost)
Robert B. Parker (PD Spenser)
Ross Macdonald (PD Lew Archer)
Hakan Nesser (Insp. Van Vetereen)
Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware & LAPD Det. Milo Sturgis)
Colin Watson (Inspector Purbright)
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (Pendergast series)
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #47
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by william z View Post
Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse)
R. D. Wingfield (Inspector Jack Frost)
Robert B. Parker (PD Spenser)
Ross Macdonald (PD Lew Archer)
Hakan Nesser (Insp. Van Vetereen)
Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware & LAPD Det. Milo Sturgis)
Colin Watson (Inspector Purbright)
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (Pendergast series)
You do realise that question was asked in 2013?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #48
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
There's nothing wrong with finding more new authors in 2018! lol Besides, many people read this thread, so it's okay to keep listing new authors for everyone.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #49
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
There's nothing wrong with finding more new authors in 2018! lol Besides, many people read this thread, so it's okay to keep listing new authors for everyone.
Sure, but answering a question from someone who hasn't been active on the forum since 2014 is pushing it a bit .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
The last response on this thread, before this week was, what, February of 2013? That's five and a half YEARS, since this thread died.

There's a reason that the forum mods warn you about necroposting. Sure, "many" people have read this thread, but what makes you think that any number of those were in the last 5 years? I last visited this thread then.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #51
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems strange that some people would be bothered by replies on an older thread when those replies might be helpful to someone like me, who is a fairly new member of this forum. I'm always researching for authors I might like that I haven't read yet. So, what difference does it make that people who want to be helpful have posted in an older thread? Things like this just have me shaking my head...
Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
There's a reason that the forum mods warn you about necroposting. Sure, "many" people have read this thread, but what makes you think that any number of those were in the last 5 years? I last visited this thread then.

Hitch
We do? MobileRead has no policy against necroposting, whether official or unofficial. There's a warning when old threads are revived; especially in threads that relate to a device, firmware or software the information could very well be (and most likely is) outdated, but if a thread is interesting or relevant, have at it.

I agree that there's not much point in replying to a specific ancient post, but if an old thread seems like a good place for a new post, then people are welcome to post there. Because, conversely, especially in threads about books and so forth, many won't have seen the original thread and may find it worthwhile. As with:

Quote:
It seems strange that some people would be bothered by replies on an older thread when those replies might be helpful to someone like me, who is a fairly new member of this forum. I'm always researching for authors I might like that I haven't read yet. So, what difference does it make that people who want to be helpful have posted in an older thread? Things like this just have me shaking my head...
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #53
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I don't see a problem with resurrecting this thread either. Hey, since it fell asleep, some hot new authors like Sophocles and Euripides have appeared on the scene!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We do? MobileRead has no policy against necroposting, whether official or unofficial. There's a warning when old threads are revived; especially in threads that relate to a device, firmware or software the information could very well be (and most likely is) outdated, but if a thread is interesting or relevant, have at it.
I did NOT say that the mods "warn you," Issy. I said, the forum does, which you yourself mention, y'know, the "this thread is quite old..." notification? The one that says something along the lines of "consider starting a new thread"?

I don't care if people Necropost, just seems bizarre to me to reply to a five-year old thread.

Quote:
I agree that there's not much point in replying to a specific ancient post, but if an old thread seems like a good place for a new post, then people are welcome to post there. Because, conversely, especially in threads about books and so forth, many won't have seen the original thread and may find it worthwhile. As with:
Their choice. Whatever. Given the relative decline in activity on MR, in almost all areas/subforums, that I see, I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I don't see a problem with resurrecting this thread either. Hey, since it fell asleep, some hot new authors like Sophocles and Euripides have appeared on the scene!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did NOT say that the mods "warn you," Issy.
Uh, yes you did?

Quote:
There's a reason that the forum mods warn you about necroposting.
Emphasis mine.

I was addressing a misconception in case others read it as I did. I don't like to see people discouraged from posts that break no rules, whether stated or implicit.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #56
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Uh, yes you did?
Here's a quote of the exact comment:

"There's a reason that the forum mods warn you about necroposting."

Anyway, folks, there are other things more worthy of discussion. This thread, whether old or new, might help a lot of people check out other authors or remind them of authors they've been wanting to read. There's too much negativity in this forum, so if you all want to keep your fellow members coming back, I believe it would certainly help if there were less negative comments (or none at all).
Old 05-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Let's get back on topic, please.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #58
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
No, didn't look at the date. But even so, I got a couple of couple of reading ideas from other answers, so It wasn't a total loss.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #59
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Sometimes reviving these old threads can uncover some great recommendations of books I've missed!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #60
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
We even have a sticky post of links to old book recommendation threads.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=135136
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote