Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
astraxan
astraxan began at the beginning.

Device: none
greek pdf & notes

hi, i dont really know much about ebook readers so i need some help.
i am from Greece and i am looking for an ebook reader that can read PDF in Greek and to have the ability of taking notes in the text.(if handwritten notes then better)
could you suggest me a device?
astraxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Reading PDF in any language shouldn't be a problem, as PDF includes its font (in your case, a Greek font). If you want to take notes, you'll probably be looking at a touch screen. Right now, your choices are limited.

Do you read mainly textbook PDF's with large graphs, pictures, multiple columns, etc. an 8" or larger screen would be most helpful. The only one available, right now, is the IRex Digital Reader or Iliad. Both are the most expensives one around (new).

Do you read novels mostly, I'd go for the Sony 700. It's a 6" screen. I believe you've an onscreen keyboard (any Sony 700 owner can contradict me, if I'm wrong) available on it.

Or, you can try to get your hands on an Amazon Kindle DX, but you'll have to go outside the regular channel (aka Amazon) as that one is officially not available outside the US.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
astraxan

what about astak mentor? where can i find a full review? do you know where can i buy it? i cant find anything!

Last edited by astraxan; 06-18-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Astak EZ Reader is a Hanlin clone, just like the BeBook.

(the BeBook can be bought from www.mybebook.com).

There are just no any other large screens beside the IRex and Kindle DX. All others are still in production.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
astraxan

i cant understand, bebook=astak???
i read in the forum that astak has a touchscreen. can you send me a link of where i can buy it?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

No....

Hmm, let's see....

There is this company in China, Jinke Technology, that makes ebookreaders with a 6" screen. They let other companies use their product to make "their own" out of it. Mostly, it's the software that's different, and, naturally a different logo.

This ebookreader is called the Hanlin v3.

Now, several parties took this device and made it "their own". A different colour (mostly from Astak, I believe), and different software.

So, the lBook V3, DigiBook Reader V3, Apollo-Hanlin V3, Walkbook, Papyre 6.1, BeBook (the one from Endless Ideas), and Astak EZ Reader. Those are all the "same" device, but all sold under a different name (and originating from different countries).

Now, there will be a new version, one with a touch screen. Endless Idea will call it BeBook 2, not sure what the Astak name will be. Those are not out out. Endless Idea said their BeBook 2 will arrive at the end of summer, and I've lost track on the Astak one.

To make things more muddled, there are also new players on the ebookmarket. The Txtr (from txtr.com) is one, it should arrive this fall, we have the Onyx reader (should also arive somewhere at the end of the summer I believe) and there have been rumours floating around about a new Sony (but those are just rumours!)

Check this matrix for a nice comparison between the various readers. Be sure to notice the release dates of the various readers, as some haven't arrived yet.

(the 6" you can get now are the Hanlin (and clones), the CyBook, Sony's and Kindle, the latter two aren't either sold in Europe or only part of Europe).