Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
bostonquad
bostonquad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
conspicuous hyperlinks

When I open my Kindle Paperwhite User's Guide, I see conspicuous hyperlinks.
When I convert an HTML document to .mobi, the links appear rather subtle.

I want conspicuous hyperlinks, like I see in my user guide. Can someone save me a lot of experimenting and clue me in as to the reason my hyperlinks look so subtle?

...is this is an issue with the mobi format?
...or do I need to apply a CSS style to make the links "pop"?
...or does my source need to be something other than HTML?
...or is it something else?

Thanks in advance.
bostonquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes - you do it with CSS style for the "a" element. You need something like this:

Code:
a {
  text-decoration: none;
}

a:link {
  color: #265301;
}

a:visited {
  color: #437A16;
}
The first of these sets the general style for links (removing the underline). The second sets the colour for links you haven't yet clicked on. The third sets the colour of links you have clicked on. Adapt as required. You need to have the classes in this order - each builds on the one before it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 AM   #3
bostonquad

I appreciate that someone took time to respond, but the answer doesn't help. I think my question might have been unclear, so I've attached photos to show what I mean.

In the first photo, there's a closeup from the Kindle user guide as it appears on my Paperwhite. Note the clear, obvious underlines indicating a link.

I *like* the underlines; I don't want to remove them. So when I tried the poster's styling for the anchor tag, I took out the first styling so I'd still get underlines. That leaves the color styling, which is not really the issue. But I used it anyway, and what I get can be seen in the 2nd photo. (I used the same words as in the first photo to get a side-by-side comparison.)

Note that in my version, the underline is very thin and subtle. How can I get it to shout "this is a link" like I see in the user guide?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user guide.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	160066   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	160067  
Old 11-17-2017, 02:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try something like:

Code:
a {
    text-decoration: none;
    border-bottom: 3px solid red;
}
That will remove the standard underline, and replace it with a thicker one

Last edited by HarryT; 11-17-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
bostonquad

Aaahh!
border-bottom!
Thank you very much! :-)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You're very welcome .
Old 11-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Why isn't there a book with all these brilliant tricks & tips?

I have bought several books about epub and formatting, but 95% of the time I end up searching here.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
So do the authors of those books....
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
So do the authors of those books....
MMMmmmm, or picked up all the information that they put in their books in the first place.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote