Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #46
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Thanks for the feed-back.

I tried now a few nonsensical searches. It takes three minutes for each search, with 2000 books and 35 collections, from the collections home page. The /system/Search Indexes folder has two files, index.db (1.9 MB) and index.lg (8 bytes). If a search returns nonempty results, then it does this, as you say, very fast indeed.

Last edited by hfpop; 01-11-2012 at 05:16 PM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post

I tried now a few nonsensical searches. It takes three minutes for each search, with 2000 books and 35 collections, from the collections home page. The /system/Search Indexes folder has two files, index.db (1.9 MB) and index.lg (8 bytes). If a search returns nonempty results, then it does this, as you say, very fast indeed.
Oh so its quick when its a nonempty resulted search; otherwise it takes 3 minutes each? That does seem a bit long.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #48
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Oh so its quick when its a nonempty resulted search; otherwise it takes 3 minutes each? That does seem a bit long.
I removed the index file altogether, reset the collections and recreated them clean from the PC, and after the first search (when it takes a long time, of course), both kinds of results show in a matter of seconds.

It looks like when changing the files structure from the PC, we need to take care as well about this index.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #49
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
I removed the index file altogether, reset the collections and recreated them clean from the PC, and after the first search (when it takes a long time, of course), both kinds of results show in a matter of seconds.

It looks like when changing the files structure from the PC, we need to take care as well about this index.

Oh ok, good.

Ah, well Idk about that, but I can understand if you alter where books are via the PC, it could cause issue with how they are indexed.

Anyway, that is good you got it figured out.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
hfpop
Addict

Another question, please.

Does stopping the indexing service interfere with the dictionary use? The dictionary I was using is accepted by Menu/Settings/Menu/Change Main Dictionary, but when using the dictionary option, instead of the explanation in this dictionary, I get the explanation of the English dictionary.

Of course, the only thing indexed now is the list of books and collections.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #51
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Another question, please.

Does stopping the indexing service interfere with the dictionary use? The dictionary I was using is accepted by Menu/Settings/Menu/Change Main Dictionary, but when using the dictionary option, instead of the explanation in this dictionary, I get the explanation of the English dictionary.

Of course, the only thing indexed now is the list of books and collections.
Hmm, not sure about that. I rarely use the built-in dictionary, let alone use another, so I cannot really tell you.

I guess if it works with the English dictionary that is built-in, but not the custom one you use, the easiest sure-fire way of knowing if the indexing has anything to do with it would be to uninstall the indexing hack, let it index completely again (ie, create the huge file(s) in the index folder with all of the words on all of your books), and then see if it still defaults to the English dictionary.

Fortunately, if you sue my two scripts I made for this hack, it would be easy to test, and then revert back to using the script.

Finally, I do not really know why the lack of indexing would cause problems with using your custom dictionary. I mean if it works with the default English one, Idk why it wouldn't with your custom, so long as you have that one set, as before the hack. Just my opinion. Again, I haven't used the dictionary feature enough to be an expert.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
shane51
shane51 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by statethatiamin View Post
Hi all,

The indexing is controlled by a flag in the file /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh on line 176:
-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true \

I hope some of you guys will find it useful.

Cheers!
I have a prolem...It seems My KT doesn't have start.sh under /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/, or I made a Big Mistake that I deleted it , oh ,please Help me. do you have any copy of the start.sh file??

Last edited by shane51; 04-02-2012 at 11:25 AM.
shane51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #53
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
This thread is about Kindle 3. The Kindle Touch is a completely different device, and the mentioned start.sh indeed does not exist.

Take a look at /etc/upstart/framework.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #54
shane51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This thread is about Kindle 3. The Kindle Touch is a completely different device, and the mentioned start.sh indeed does not exist.

o,Thanks a lot

Last edited by shane51; 04-02-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #55
shane51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post

great!I find the -DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true \ in framework
Thank you so much!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #56
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

My k3 is brick because i use this command

first
shift D I I with launchpad
then
;debugon
~disableindexing

Then i restart k3,it stop at the 45% loading bar.Even i return to factory it still stop at there.
So i think i should resumeindexing then maybe my kindle will be ok.
but where to set ,or which file should be change,Does anyone here know how to do this?

and I think my file start.sh is wrong now ,can some paste the file here?

(fortunately my launchpad still alive and i have a terminal in kindle . i can load duokan system,but still can not access the original system)
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #57
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
My k3 is brick because i use this command

first
shift D I I with launchpad
then
;debugon
~disableindexing

Then i restart k3,it stop at the 45% loading bar.Even i return to factory it still stop at there.
So i think i should resumeindexing then maybe my kindle will be ok.
but where to set ,or which file should be change,Does anyone here know how to do this?

and I think my file start.sh is wrong now ,can some paste the file here?

(fortunately my launchpad still alive and i have a terminal in kindle . i can load duokan system,but still can not access the original system)
~disableindexing just runs a script. If you have a terminal, you should be able to run the script manually to turn indexing back on. Also, with debug on, you are doing a lot of extra logging that consumes storage space. You should turn it off immediately after running a command in the search bar.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #58
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
~disableindexing just runs a script. If you have a terminal, you should be able to run the script manually to turn indexing back on. Also, with debug on, you are doing a lot of extra logging that consumes storage space. You should turn it off immediately after running a command in the search bar.
YEs,geekmaster.
The problem is that i do not know how to write the script.
Do you know how to write this.
Just last night i copy backup file to /mnt/us then i can run launchpad and other app.
The system is part of intact i think.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #59
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
YEs,geekmaster.
The problem is that i do not know how to write the script.
Do you know how to write this.
Just last night i copy backup file to /mnt/us then i can run launchpad and other app.
The system is part of intact i think.
You don't have to write it, just run it from the command line terminal.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, disable, improvement, index, indexing