Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
mama
mama began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Question Canadian needs help... please

I'm in Canada, I know nothing of ebooks or their readers... I just know I want to regain the space my books have taken over my house (I probably own over 1000 and growing). I don't need to replace them all at once, but I will want my new books to be available on the reader.

I will have to be able to download through the computer, I do not have wireless and don't want to pay extra for it.

I want it to read mostly fiction, those books that I own that are not fiction, I would prefer to keep in paperbound format for now. I need a reader that has access to lots of fiction books, and not just ones that are 50 years old either.

Some favorites are:

Poisonwood Bible
Wizard's First Rule (series)
The Lark and the Wren (Series)
Mordred's Curse (Series)
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles

My most recent purchase was the Twilight saga.

I noticed Kindle had most of these available, but since it's not available to Canadians, it's not an option. *sigh*

My secondary concern after the available books, is price of the books. After that comes ease of use and ease of downloading.

mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I'd have to suggest the Sony. The ebookstore isn't the greatest, but you can buy books from Fictionwise in sony's format and convert others. I have the 700 but if you don't need the lights or the touch screen the 505 is a much better choice as the screen is better, and there is no dust getting trapped inside the screens.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
I'd have to suggest the Sony. The ebookstore isn't the greatest, but you can buy books from Fictionwise in sony's format and convert others. I have the 700 but if you don't need the lights or the touch screen the 505 is a much better choice as the screen is better, and there is no dust getting trapped inside the screens.
I second this. The Sony bookstore has a large amount of fiction, but I know it lowers for the Canadian bookstore. But you can use fictionwise as well, so between the two you should be covered. It's extremely easy to purchase and download from the ebookstore.

If you want to check out the selection, go to http://www.ebookstore.sony.com. I think it'll redirect you to the canadian site.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would suggest that you consider a reader which supports MobiPocket - the most widely-available and widely-used eBook format today. Many devices support it, such as the CyBook and BeBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
mama

Does the sony 505 allow mobi pocket format?

Also, I notice that if I click to buy the sony, it offers me to buy the power cord for charging the device... doesn't it come with a cord?

Thank you so much for your help thus far.
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama View Post
Does the sony 505 allow mobi pocket format?
No, it doesn't. The Sony is pretty much the only device on the market which doesn't support MobiPocket.

Quote:
Also, I notice that if I click to buy the sony, it offers me to buy the power cord for charging the device... doesn't it come with a cord?
No. It charges via USB from your PC. Don't bother with the Sony charger; if you do buy one and you want a wall charger, buy a charger for the Sony PlayStation Portable - it's the same spec charger as the Reader uses, and about a third the price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I agree with Harry about the Sony & BeBook. (Note BeBook = EZ Reader = Hanlin V3 - all the same hardware but slightly different firmware (the firmware from any can be loaded on any if you can get it. I know you can get the Jinke, i.e. Hanlin V3, firmware.)

Check out Baen (may have some of the Lark & Wren series). They have SF/F and they have a free library. Multiple formats (including the Sony's) all without DRM, and you can DL in any or all of the formats as often as you want once you buy. Also very reasonable prices.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
mama

Thank you for the website, and thank you both for clarifying. You've given me much to consider.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
I third the sony, it's handy and like HarryT said you can charge it with the USB or the PSP charger. I read lrf (some of which I've converted from other formats) and pdf on it and it works great!
Also, for books some libraries allow you to borrow e-books which you can directly download onto your reader and they automatically delete themselves after 1 - 2 weeks.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would suggest that you consider a reader which supports MobiPocket - the most widely-available and widely-used eBook format today. Many devices support it, such as the CyBook and BeBook.
I second Harry's suggestion. As a Canadian myself I chose the Cybook for it's ability to read Mobipocket eBooks. At the time it was the only eBook reader on the market for less than $700 that would. Today I might go for a Hanlin V3/Bebook/EZ Reader, which also read the Mobipocket format, if only because of the price. Currently I believe the Cybook still has the best Mobipocket formating, however the Hanlin type eBook Readers are coming out with new firmware quite frequently so I would imagine their Mobipocket support will improve in the future.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote