Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
Apparition B5
Connoisseur
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
With e-book, you need a dedicated, fragile device, which should not be exposed to cold, heat, or sunlight, which needs a working computer to copy the book files from, which needs a USB cable or a charger, and constant recharge.
You don't need a working computer to use an Amazon Kindle nor a Kobo eReader. You'd have to buy books directly through their stores and/or use Overdrive or something, but it's definitely doable. An average charge on my Kindle Voyage lasts about a week, which I wouldn't call "constant recharge."

Quote:
The e-books have a limited market, as only the dedicated readers will pay for them. The widespread use of the pirate software like Calibre causes e-books to be leaked, in decrypted, de-watermarked form, into the wild.
Wow...
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

The e-books have a limited market, as only the dedicated readers will pay for them.

It may be "limited", but it is significant. I've seen 20% of the book market suggested.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Calibre is NOT pirate software. You have it all wrong.

You have one pBook with you and you finish it, you have to go get another book. With eBooks, I can have multiple eBooks on one device and not have to worry about running out. The weight is the same for one book or hundreds of books.

You put your Reader in a cover and treat it right and it won't get broken. You could put eBook on your smartphone and use that to read while out and about.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
With e-book, you need a dedicated, fragile device, which should not be exposed to cold, heat, or sunlight, which needs a working computer to copy the book files from, which needs a USB cable or a charger, and constant recharge.
You don't need a dedicated device for ebooks (and certainly not a working computer to connect it to). Many people (including casual readers) are already carrying a device that will allow them to browse, buy, store, and consume ebooks entirely on the go. And they're already practised at keeping it charged.

Many readers may not want to read ebooks on phones/tablets, but the idea that a casual reader needs to invest in new hardware and accessories before being able to avail themselves of the convenience of ebooks is hogwash.

EDIT: and referring to calibre as "pirate software" is over-the-top, false slander. You're either terribly misinformed, or being purposefully misleading. If it's the former, then get informed. If it's the latter, then stop it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2018 at 02:51 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #20
crane3
Addict
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab Pro 8.4, Aura ONE
Not mentioned is that printed books for 'seniors' (big type) looks like a blob of ink on a page. Also the printed books are using the 'clean looking' format that is really for saving ink; the very fine/thin letters make it hard to read by us needing to have bifocals or reading glasses.

I have a few books that use lawyer's print (very fine print) that I want to read now but is a strain on the eyes. A friend has the same problem & often borrow books from the library & do not read the printed book as pbooks are printed for those with 20/20 or better eyesight; no text size adjustments.

No backups. I've lost many text books that were still in cartons in the apt's storeroom/closet; the termite exterminators found that the books were a mess & asked if I still wanted to keep them....ugh.

Also much easier to grab a tablet & leave when emergencies arise. And I still need a dedicated device to read books as in reading glasses for both ebooks & printed books.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #21
gweeks
Evangelist
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
The physical books is always a better choice for a casual reader, and they are virtually pirate-proof. So they have a guaranteed market, e-books not so much.
Hate to tell you this, but prior to books being commonly available for sale as ebooks the pirates scanned the paper books. The Harry Potter books are the poster child for this. Most of them had pirate ebooks out the same day the paper was released.
gweeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Sarmat89, you got exactly one thing right:

Quote:
...as only the dedicated readers will pay for them.
Very true.
Casual readers, the kind that buy one or two books a year will never benefit from ebook technology. Mind you, most of them (~70%) already have a quality ebook reader in the pocket or purse in the form of their smartphone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ne_penetration

No expense or computer required.
But ebooks are only useful to people who read and only in proportion to how much they read.

So yes, ebook readers are a minority; it's unavoidable when 28% percent don't read at all. And "only" 27% read ebooks.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-survey-finds/

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...ks-in-america/

As is, over 25% of all trade book revenue comes from ebooks despite the fact that average ebook prices (~$3.89) run about a third of average print book prices.

https://www.slj.com/2015/03/research...prices-2015/#_

That 27% of readers are buying a lot more books than the 45% that only read print.

Hardly a meaningless minority.
And hardly foolish since they read more and pay less.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think that Mr. Nourry needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Ebooks are here to stay and they don't need enhancement in order to do their jobs. When I read I want to read, not play a game or watch a movie. The movie is in my head as I translate the written word into pictures that no movie can equal.
Exactly. Well said. Reading and movie watching are completely different activities.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Electonic books are simply not convenient. A book, especially American one, printed on very loose and light paper, you can easily carry in a pocket or a purse, take it everywhere, bend, read in any conditions, you can easily take it with you.
What if that one "book" is something like the 30 book collection of works by St. Alphonsus Liguouri? Or the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia? Or a the complete collection of Charles Dicken's works? Or all of these and hundreds of other of books at once? Better have a couple wagons to pull behind you because I (for one) am not always reading a single novel.

Quote:
With a good case an eReader is not that fragile. And with the 3G Kindles (for one) you can buy and download books from just about anywhere. But most people have computers and several USB cables, so this argument is not very persuasive. You can also borrow books from your library, either at home or on the road, directly from your Kindle or Sony T2 (as I do). You'll have to find a USB hotspot – which are so "rare" these days.

Quote:
The e-books have a limited market, as only the dedicated readers will pay for them. The widespread use of the pirate software like Calibre causes e-books to be leaked, in decrypted, de-watermarked form, into the wild.
And only "dedicated readers" really buy books at all. So this is kind of a non-argument as well. Dishonest people are dishonest, but most "dedicated readers" whom I know are not thieves, and you don't need an eReader to become a thief. Do you actually think that an eReader turns an honest man or woman into a thief? Another silly, baseless argument.

And Calibre is NOT "pirate software." It's for organizing your collection of books, either those bought or those in the public domain. All completely, 100% legal.

Quote:
The physical books is always a better choice for a casual reader, and they are virtually pirate-proof. So they have a guaranteed market, e-books not so much.
How, exactly, do you define a "casual reader?" One or two books a year? Just curious.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your Google fu is rather poor. All I did was put in the title and up came the article link.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ion-erin-kelly
That's a very good article. So good that I sent it to my Kindle ... Oh, something else you can do with eReaders.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #26
ekbell
Addict
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
You don't need a working computer to use an Amazon Kindle nor a Kobo eReader. You'd have to buy books directly through their stores and/or use Overdrive or something, but it's definitely doable. An average charge on my Kindle Voyage lasts about a week, which I wouldn't call "constant recharge."

Every ebook I've purchased could be read immediately on my tablet (or smart phone) without touching a PC. And as previously noted the majority of adults in North America already carry around smart phones.

In some ways I'd expect that reading on a smart phone would be perfect for a casual reader: immediate gratification and no physical book to dispose of later. The only problem is discovery, since a casual reader is unlikely to go looking, which may be the point of the Wal-Mart book cards.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
In some ways I'd expect that reading on a smart phone would be perfect for a casual reader: immediate gratification and no physical book to dispose of later. The only problem is discovery, since a casual reader is unlikely to go looking, which may be the point of the Wal-Mart book cards.
Casual readers typically don't do discovery.
They just buy whatever book has enough buzz to get their attention. Which buzz is generated by avid readers, the majority of which have moved to digital and are spreading their purchases around. Which is why today's "bestsellers" don't move anywhere as many units as they used to.

That not so small minority of ebook readers has a whole lot more market influence than the hordes of casual readers that outnumber them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:07 AM   #28
Gardenman
Evangelist
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, iRiver Story HD - Gave to Wife
Originally Posted by Sarmat89
The widespread use of the pirate software like Calibre causes e-books to be leaked, in decrypted, de-watermarked form, into the wild.

Sarmat89 go tell that to Kovid Goyal and see what he says.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:05 AM   #29
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Originally Posted by Sarmat89
The widespread use of the pirate software like Calibre causes e-books to be leaked, in decrypted, de-watermarked form, into the wild.

Sarmat89 go tell that to Kovid Goyal and see what he says.
But first let us duck for cover and get in a position to watch the fireworks.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:35 AM   #30
Sarmat89
Zealot
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Many people (including casual readers) are already carrying a device that will allow them to browse, buy, store, and consume ebooks entirely on the go.
If you mean a smartphone, the reading from 4" screen is not pleasant, backlit screen does not work well in the sunlight, and the exposure to the direct sunlight can cause overheat/warping of a device. A printed book is not afraid of the sunlight.

Quote:
the idea that a casual reader needs to invest in new hardware and accessories before being able to avail themselves of the convenience of ebooks...
Phone is not a convenient device to read from in itself.

Quote:
referring to calibre as "pirate software" is over-the-top, false slander.
In that case, care to explain why has 99% pirated content out there been de-DRMed and converted from Adobe/Amazon formats to EPUB with that particular software? Is it just coincidence?
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote