Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Jen Franklin
Jen Franklin began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge shipping on 3/26
Screen calibration?

Hello, I just received a PRS600 for my birthday and I'm not sure if it is me or if there is a problem with the screen. I know there have been a lot of complaints about the screen being difficult to see, but I am wondering anyone else has had problems highlighting? When I double tap on a word, the highlight will show up a few inches away from where I intended. I have re-calibrated it several times without any luck. Also, it was purchased from Best Buy, so I am not sure if I can return or exchange it. Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate some help as it is a major purchase for us and I don't want to waste it.
Jen Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Make sure that nothing else is touching the screen while performing the calibration. Only use the stylus and make sure your hand does not touch the screen.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
A few inches sounds like a big distance!
I've had one or two misses when I double tap with the finger (sometimes the word above or beside the one I'm aiming is highlighted).
Have you used the stylus? It's much more precise. If it works ok with the stylus I guess it's just your finger tapping that's imprecise. If not, it sounds like a calibration problem, which I wouldn't know how to solve.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Jen Franklin

I was very careful when calibrating it. And I always use my stylus. I am wondering if I should try to exchange it. The dictionary was the only reason why I wanted to 600. It is very disappointing.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
It is possible something is broken with the unit. I have not heard of this type of problem before so not sure of any way to fix other than taking it back and hopefully getting a replacement.

Make sure you are able to replicate the problem when you return it.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Jen Franklin

Hmmm....this seems even more odd. I loaded another book on, and it seems as though it is only with that first book. Everything else is fine. I can make it happen over and over with the first book, but only on the top half of the screen. Does that make any sense? Could it be the book? It was a pdf.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Hmm... is the pdf text or image (scanned text)?. If it only happens with one file it's a problem with the specific file and not the device. Very strange though.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
Jen Franklin

I believe it is a pdf text. My husband brought it up on the computer and it did the same thing there! He thought that was very weird, and he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do so I won't worry with it. However, now the Sony library software seems to be very screwed up. If I try calibre, will I still be able to return this if it continues to have problems?
Thank you for your time, Jen.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
omk3
Wizard

Return the device you mean? Calibre just helps you load ebooks on your device and organise your library, it does nothing and changes nothing on the device itself, so no reason you could not return it. However, it seems your problem is with the specific pdf and not the device itself.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Jen Franklin

First, thank you for your time. I really do appreciate it.

I am having a lot of problems with the reader library as well. Everything is stuck in an endless "syncing" or "waiting" mode and nothing seems to be moving. This is very frustrating. For the money we paid, the thing should work. If it is their software, then it should have been fixed by now. I think I should have just asked for one with better reviews. I don't think the Kindle can access as many different types of files, but if it is more reliable, maybe I should go with that. Too bad it doesn't come in red though!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
omk3
Wizard

I almost never use sony's software, so I can't really help you there. You're right of course that sony should have designed a better software. However I'm very happy with the device itself, and I find that using adobe digital editions for buying epubs and calibre for everything else covers all my ebook buying and managing needs.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Jen Franklin

I will try calibre tonight. I am not a tech person, my husband is, but he is on a computer all day at work so I hesitate to bother him when I have a problem that I should probably be able to figure out for myself. I just wish this were easier. Thank you again for your time, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
omk3
Wizard

Feel free to ask whatever you need here. There's always someone who knows the answer or will try to figure it out with you
Good luck with calibre.