Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
ProMedia ereader (Aldi) a.k.a. C67ML

A few days ago I bought the ProMedia ereader at Aldi (Belgium), priced 79.99 €.

After some googling it turned out to be a version of the Onyx Boox C67ML (Carta2 ???) a.k.a. C67ML Darwin (Russia - Youtube video), and a close nephew of Onyx Boox Afterglow2.

The device has 8 Gig memory and TTS (text to speech) works, but either WiFi is disabled, or the relevant menu items are deleted, or the menu items and the hardware are lacking.

I think the device is good value for money and I don't mind that it doesn't go online to contact the mothership, but I'd like to find out whether it's just the software that is crippled or whether the actual hardware is missing.

I have a second question about the Onyx Neoreader software.
Does anyone know if you can set the default values for font size, line height, margins and such? As it is a new book opens with, for me at least, all the wrong values.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
That's quite an interesting five. I'd read about the device but it want clear if it is based on another device? Out of curiosity, how did you find out, dies it use the stock onyx firmware with android etc? Although Android without WiFi may be a bit of a pain. I think the c67ml is also supposed to have a dual core Peugeot which would be nice at this price point! Normally the onyx devices also have Bluetooth, can you check if yours does? Although that may well be disabled along with the WiFi...
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
That's quite an interesting five. I'd read about the device but it want clear if it is based on another device? Out of curiosity, how did you find out, dies it use the stock onyx firmware with android etc? Although Android without WiFi may be a bit of a pain. I think the c67ml is also supposed to have a dual core Peugeot which would be nice at this price point! Normally the onyx devices also have Bluetooth, can you check if yours does? Although that may well be disabled along with the WiFi...
I found out by googling and comparing the specs and the hardware. It is exactly the same model as shown in the video I linked to. There was also a cover included (though a much cheaper looking plastic one than that shown in the video), a charger and a Micro USB-cable.

It has the same android software, except some items in the menus are missing. I don't know whether that means the actual apps aren't included or if they just crippled the menus so you can't get at them. So I can't tell you if it has Bluetooth or not.

You can transfer apk-files by computer to the main ssd (or to an external ssd) and install them the usual way.

Even something trivial as installing your own screensavers (e.g. up to three pictures for "sleep" (which will rotate), and another for "shutdown" is possible. And it is actually useful because you can tell by the picture shown whether the device will be ready in a few seconds or whether it needs to boot up.

Technical data:
On device:
* Screen resolution: 1024x758
* Model number: ITEM22812
* Serial number: unknown
* Android version: 4.2.2
* Kernel version: 3.036+
* Build number: 1.7.5_rc_nl2016-05-19_18-40 5103d4d
On box:
* Display: 6 inch E-ink (Carta HD)
* LI-ION battery (1700 mAH)
* Weight 195 gr.
* …
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:58 AM   #4
Kunvp
Enthusiast
Kunvp began at the beginning.

Device: Promedia e-reader (Onyx C67ML) - Aldi2016 / Former: Sony PRS-T1&T2
I bought one too.
Kind of happy so far, as it is much better than my Engergy Sistem Pro+ which had lousy software (scree snapped in the end)..

Reading SOFTWARE on the Aldi Promedia model:
The reader comes with 2 readers: the default ICARUS READER (dev1548-cC69ddb7) and installed as een app Oreader (from Onyx). The latter is accesable trough apps (I have chosen to put it on the homescreen).

ICARUS READER (dev1548-cC69ddb7)
Oreader (versio: 1.710507)
Kunvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Kunvp
Enthusiast

Screensaver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ashling View Post
Even something trivial as installing your own screensavers (e.g. up to three pictures for "sleep" (which will rotate), and another for "shutdown" is possible. And it is actually useful because you can tell by the picture shown whether the device will be ready in a few seconds or whether it needs to boot up.
I can't find the option to change the screensaver.
As I understand you refer to the option as in the picture.
I put a picture in te picure folder, nohware options to find.

How did you manage?
Advert
Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
canatella
canatella began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx BOOX C67ML
Hello, I also own one of these but It seems I cannot get the dictionary stuff to work. I've installed stardict dictionaries under /dictionary but it's not working.

The Onyx Neo Reader app is crashing when trying to explain a word.

Anybody got this working ?
canatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
canatella

Hello, just to keep people who might stumble upon this updated. I managed to have the dictionary feature working. What I did:

- Backup the partitions using rkflashtool
- Install the recovery image for C67ML (search for it on the forum)
- Backup partition again from recovery
- Increase the system partition size to 430Mb so that the official onyx updates can fit in it using rkflashtool (the reader is using a rockchip chipset)
- Modify the official Onyx 1.8.2 C67ML update.zip image META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script to remove the check for C67ML_Carta device.
- Boot into recovery
- Wipe data/cache/dalvik + wipe system and internal sdcard
- Flash modified update.zip img

So now I have the latest firmware version and the dictionary feature is working correctly.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #8
Kunvp
Enthusiast

Thumbs up Wow, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canatella View Post
Hello, just to keep people who might stumble upon this updated. I managed to have the dictionary feature working. What I did:
So now I have the latest firmware version and the dictionary feature is working correctly.
You managed to install the latest firmware?
I am technically rather unadvances But i try to figure out what you did.

Thank you so much for sharing.

What font do you use? I don't like the pre-installed at all.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
canatella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunvp View Post
I am technically rather unadvances But i try to figure out what you did.
If I can be of anyhelp, just ask, but it is indeed fairly technical. Just make sure to first properly backup the device with the rkflashtool on Linux/MacOS or the rockchip firmware tool on windows, look up "backup rockship" for example.