Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: My preferred reading font is...
Amasis 16 14.41%
Avenir 6 5.41%
Delima 10 9.01%
Felbridge 6 5.41%
Georgia 30 27.03%
Gill Sans 7 6.31%
Rockwell 15 13.51%
Times New Roman 4 3.60%
Document Default 5 4.50%
Other (please specify) 27 24.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #31
jess1ca
jess1ca began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Rockwell. I've added only three fonts (Gentium Book Basic, Lexia DaMa and Lora) and all three are very nice but I keep going back to Rockwell. It's super readable and the font is really comfortable on the eyes.
jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #32
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I change fonts when I change books. I use Gill Sans and Georgia the most, and occasionally Amasis and Delima. I never use (and dislike) Avenir and Times New Roman.

In terms of possible new fonts, I like Perrywood and Sabon and Gentium, but I'm still searching for the perfect book font, if there is such a thing. A couple of new sans serif options would be great too.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I change fonts when I change books. I use Gill Sans and Georgia the most, and occasionally Amasis and Delima. I never use (and dislike) Avenir and Times New Roman.

In terms of possible new fonts, I like Perrywood and Sabon and Gentium, but I'm still searching for the perfect book font, if there is such a thing. A couple of new sans serif options would be great too.
For sans-serif, give Verdana a go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
I switch between Felbridge and Delima but I prefer the former. Tried a few custom fonts and they didn't work as well for me. I'm quite impressed with the default fonts, I think they all work quite well for the purpose.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #35
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ubuntu 10.10

I really like Ubuntu 10.10. Eminently readable and easy on the eyes. That, and it looks really modern (to me).

It took me some time to get it to work properly, though. Is the Kobo picky about how you call your fonts? I renamed them to -Bold, -Italic, -BoldItalic and -Regular and now it looks ok, but that may have been a fluke (because I did the same for Gentium and it displays Italics as Bold (ok I haven't checked if I screwed up renaming )

You'd think these fonts include some information internally so that the programs don't have to rely on their names?

Can you all share whether you have had to rename your fonts, or what hoodoo you'd had to do to get your fonts to work properly?

EDIT: if someone could post a zip with the exact Gentium fonts the way they work for them (including italics), I'd be very happy. I can't get them to work properly.

Last edited by Dryhte; 03-17-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #36
Mick_Belgium
Mick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura aboutMick_Belgium has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3
I like to change fonts when I change books - Sans Serif for more recent/modern books (Current favourite: Cantarell), Serif for more classic books (Georgia and the like)
Mick_Belgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #37
Tumeconnais
Tumeconnais began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo By fnac
I use Kobo nickel font, i have'nt tried all of font, but i like this, i have no problem when i'm reading
Tumeconnais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #38
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Century Gothic is the font I prefer, but for some reason it doesn't seem to show in my Kobo Glo.
Since I like sans serif the best, I now use Ubuntu.
I also have a Pocketbook, and that ereader has no difficulties showing Century Gothic.
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
It's weird. I always read in Helvetica Neue on my Nook and did not like using any of the fonts with serifs. But since I've switched to a Glo, I prefer Georgia. I only switched because of the no-italics bug in 2.3.1, but now I find that I like the serifed Georgia better.
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #40
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Amasis, Georgia and other:

Gentium Book Basic and Charis Sil
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Faoured fonts?

For the most part, Charis SIL and Gentium Book Basic with Dark Courier for a monotype font. Occasionally, Century Schoolbook in a slightly higher weight version.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would someone please give a try to the newly modified Charis SIL compact? It was designed to look good on a Kindle (especially KF8). The difference to the other modified Charis SIL is that the line space has been significantly reduced. On my 650, it looks no different. Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-03-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=JSWolf;2386148]Would someone please give a try to the newly modified Charis SIL compact? It was designed to look good on a Kindle (especially KF8). The difference to the other modified Charis SIL is that the line space has been significantly reduced. On my 650, it looks no different. Thanks./QUOTE]

On my Glo, the Compact looks very slightly different -- neither better nor worse, just that toggling between the two fonts, I can see minor differences. I was also noticing that I lose about 1 line per page with my settings when using Charis SIL Compact compared to Charis SIL2.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

[QUOTE=DNSB;2386345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would someone please give a try to the newly modified Charis SIL compact? It was designed to look good on a Kindle (especially KF8). The difference to the other modified Charis SIL is that the line space has been significantly reduced. On my 650, it looks no different. Thanks./QUOTE]

On my Glo, the Compact looks very slightly different -- neither better nor worse, just that toggling between the two fonts, I can see minor differences. I was also noticing that I lose about 1 line per page with my settings when using Charis SIL Compact compared to Charis SIL2.

Regards,
David
I am surprised you lose a line. It's meant to have a smaller line space. Can you change your settings to get back that one line?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I prefer Open Sans: http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Open+Sans

Ubuntu is another great neutral sans font with a little bit more style: http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Ubuntu

IMO Gil Sans is a little bit too 'irregular', especially on a high-DPI screen like the Glos, while Avenir doesn't render well at all on the Glo because the stroke width is so narrow. Setting it 'heavier' using advanced settings makes it look weird imo.

Last edited by stewacide; 01-18-2013 at 11:31 PM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote