Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
CINCNORAD
Enthusiast
CINCNORAD began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise//Sony Reader//Nokia N800
Newspapers on Kindle - How are they?

Has anyone downloaded the available newspapers on this device? I'm curious about a few things:

-How's the formatting on them? Easy to navigate?

-Are they only partial content -- or do they offer the whole paper in electronic form?

-Are images included in the articles?

Any info would be appreciated...
CINCNORAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCNORAD View Post
Has anyone downloaded the available newspapers on this device? I'm curious about a few things:

-How's the formatting on them? Easy to navigate?

-Are they only partial content -- or do they offer the whole paper in electronic form?

-Are images included in the articles?

Any info would be appreciated...
I bought one copy of the Washington Post. It was not complete when compared to my paper subscription. It was acceptable formatted. There were no pictures.

I personally would not bother with the WaPo, but that is just one paper. If there is one you might want, buy a copy and check. It's only $.75.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Actually, you can download the paper for 14 days for free. They don't charge your credit card for 14 days. Nice touch.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
The NYT is similar to the Washington Post, except that it includes one picture per major article. Acceptable, but leaves you wanting for larger/more pictures and maybe a capture of the home page for a 'visual' overview of the newspaper.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I should add that now that I have been using the NYT, there is one key issue that keeps frustrating me. When reading an article there's no way to SKIP to the next article. So you have to sit there paging forward until you get to the end of the article you are in. This seems like something simple to add to the menu.
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
rflashman - Can you hit the back button to get back to your article list? That's how I navigate the Washington Post, pick out the article I want to read, finish reading, hit the back button to get back to the article list.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
I tried the 14 day trial of the NYT, and canceled it about 4 days in. I'm probably being obstinate, but I did not like the layout. It was easy to navigate (and to address the above, yes, you can press BACK).
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
rflashman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
rflashman - Can you hit the back button to get back to your article list? That's how I navigate the Washington Post, pick out the article I want to read, finish reading, hit the back button to get back to the article list.
It works, but it puts me back in the front page (where I usually started reading articles), not in the page of the article I was reading. So I still have to page foward to find the article I was on.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
I should add that now that I have been using the NYT, there is one key issue that keeps frustrating me. When reading an article there's no way to SKIP to the next article. So you have to sit there paging forward until you get to the end of the article you are in. This seems like something simple to add to the menu.
Can this be done via the "advanced" progress bar? In a book, if you move the cursor to the progress bar it shows your bookmarks and by default these are the chapters. In this mode, next/prev page becomes next/prev bookmark. See section 3.5 of the User's Guide for more details.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I must say that I'm pretty disappointed by how these newspapers look (based on images+videos).

Les Echos look much better on the iLiad for example.

It's a good thing that the Kindle kickstarted newspapers on e-ink for the US, but I really hope we'll see much better looking newspapers in the future (PDF or epub).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
rflashman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Can this be done via the "advanced" progress bar? In a book, if you move the cursor to the progress bar it shows your bookmarks and by default these are the chapters. In this mode, next/prev page becomes next/prev bookmark. See section 3.5 of the User's Guide for more details.
Great idea, if there was a chapter per article, but in the NYT there is only one bookmark, at the start (for the front page/table of contents).
Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
I subscribed to the San Francisco Chronicle as soon as I got my Kindle but after having read it over the last several days I am going to cancel. I find there aren't enough articles that I want to read that I couldn't quickly scan on my computer when I'm at work. Plus reading the newspaper on the Kindle just isn't the same as reading a book. I don't really care for it and I'm not sure exactly why.

Oh well...next up I am going to try Time Mag. but I have a feeling it will be somewhat the same experience.

My 2 cents.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
rflashman
Zealot

Just realized how Amazon probably 'intended' we read the newspaper. This seems to work, though is it different from the linear approach I historically used to read a paper (even electronic):

1. From TOC select 1st article.
2. Read to end or until you've had enough of that article.
3. Select BACK to return to TOC.
4. Select next interesting article.

With this 'method' I can skip out from any article and return to where I was in the TOC. As I said it is quite different from how one normally reads a paper, but it works, and seems to provide a smoother experience.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
CINCNORAD
Enthusiast
CINCNORAD began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise//Sony Reader//Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
Just realized how Amazon probably 'intended' we read the newspaper. This seems to work, though is it different from the linear approach I historically used to read a paper (even electronic):

1. From TOC select 1st article.
2. Read to end or until you've had enough of that article.
3. Select BACK to return to TOC.
4. Select next interesting article.

With this 'method' I can skip out from any article and return to where I was in the TOC. As I said it is quite different from how one normally reads a paper, but it works, and seems to provide a smoother experience.
Yup -- that's how I've been using it. I've had the subscription about a week, and haven't had any problems. I'm much happier reading the paper this way, versus the traditional ink-stained hands experience I'm used to...
CINCNORAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'd rather have some pictures with my Washington Post but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the Kindle edition.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote