Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
JayVeeBee
JayVeeBee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Exclamation Help With Kobo Touch

I just received my Kobo Touch, TODAY . I am already extremely frustrated, I have spent my entire day trying to setup the ereader. I have I am able to see the device after I reset it if I don't try to set it up with kobo desktop. but the minute I try to set it up my kobo disappears from knowledge of my computer and I get the message, "You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it." which is basically aying I have a blank disk connected I tried: restarting my computer, reformatting my Kobo to factory settings and "formatting disk" through the computer (which pops up as an error every time). I have downloaded both adobe editions and Kobo Desktop and my ereader is completely charged. I have Windows Vista OS, I don't know if this is the problem.. I'm not sure why this is happening or what I'm supposed to do. This is extremely frustrating and I feel as if I have wasted my time and money on this product.
JayVeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This is very odd--and sounds like a defective device to me. Did you remember to use safe disconnect when you removed the Touch from its USB connector? Failing to do that can damage your device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I would return it to the shop you bought it from and say that you cannot get it to sync with the computer and don't say anymore than that. sk for a refund or a new reader.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
As far as I remember many people complained about the setup process under Vista. You should try to set up from another (XP, W7 or Mac) computer.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it seems like a recent Vista update from MS made it worse, too.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
You should do a few tests to systematically isolate the problem.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can connect the KT to the computer with the supplied microUSB cable, it appears correctly as a removable drive, and you can see the content on that drive when you check in Windows?

Before you involve the Kobo desktop software, try these tests:

Test#1: Can you copy a file from the KT root directory to your computer?

Test#2: Can you copy a file from your computer to the KT root directory and then copy it back with no corruption (a small pdf or epub file will do, won't do any harm on the KT).

Test#3: When you safely disconnect the KT (eject or disconnect the drive in Windows) and unplug the USB cable, does the KT say on the screen that it's processing new content? And does the new file appear in the title list a minute later?

If these tests are passed, everything would appear to be working between the computer and the KT, and your problem is probably with the desktop software or your procedure. If not, you should try connecting to a different USB port (don't go through a hub), try a different microUSB cable if you have one, and try connecting to a different computer if possible. Any one of those tests might isolate the problem to one part of the connection chain. If none of these things help, then probably the KT is defective.

Assuming the above tests work, then you can try starting the Kobo desktop software. Apparently from what you wrote it detects the KT and starts to set it up? Make sure you leave it long enough to complete. It's probably trying to download a firmware update. If it has trouble communicating with the Kobo servers, it might take a long time, or it it might get stuck. In that case you should try again at a different time. It downloads the new firmware file to the KT memory first, and nothing actually happens until you disconnect it. Then you should see the firmware update start on the KT screen.

Last edited by FJames; 06-26-2012 at 10:50 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Also, make sure your firewall isn't blocking it.

Tags
kobo, kobo desktop, kobo touch