Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Artefact2
Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
SDHC cards officially unsupported

So, I've had, like a lot of people on this forum, nasty issues with trying to get my SDHC card to work with my Kobo Touch. The KT is always returning to home screen (at every page turn) when reading books from the memory card.

I mailed the Kobo support about it, and they casually said that micro SDHC cards are not supported, only "regular" SD cards.

I think that's kind of a dick move from Kobo, considering they clearly say on their product description & packaging the Kobo Touch supports SD cards up to 32 GB. Since all SD cards above 4 GB are necessarily SDHC, one would think the KT supports this kind of SD cards.

Am I the only one thinking this is really uncool from them? Just going the easy way out ("we're not supporting your card") instead of fixing what they advertised?
Artefact2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Dividizzl
Dividizzl began at the beginning.

wow i was completely unaware of this... maybe this is why im having issues with my kobo touch. I bought an 8gb card the other day especially for it and ive been having issues ever since. Im starting to think that kobo's are just a huge waste of money.... The systems seems to be full of flaws. Maybe i should have gone with a kindle or something instead. Im getting soooo frustrated with this thing!
Dividizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi Artefact2, unfortunately the information you received is inaccurate. SDHC cards up to 32GB are absolutely supported on the Kobo Touch device.

With 1.9.17 we implemented some fixes for the SD card support, but none of our work was related to or affected by the size of the card.

If you're continuing to have problems with your SD card, please let me know and I will do what I can to get you sorted.

Thanks
Sameer.

Last edited by SameerH; 05-08-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: addressed appropriately to OP
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Artefact2
Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

All right then. I'm a bit confused now because of the contradictory information.

This is the answer I got from the Kobo support:

Quote:
Hello Romain,

I apologize for not providing you with the information earlier.

Upon investigating this incident, it appears that you are having an issue with the card because it is only SD cards, and not SDHC cards which are compatible with the device. SDHC cards have the same size and electrical form factor as older SD cards, so SDHC-devices also support SD cards. However, the reverse is not true. An SD card reading device will not support the newer SDHC standard. to resolve this issue you will need to use and SD card instead of an SDHC card. If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Team Kobo Care
Quote:
Hello Romain,

I apologize for misinformation as I also believe there are not SD cards which have a 32Gb capacity.

The information that the device is compatible with external SD memory cards which can hold up to 30000 MB does give the impression that the device is compatible with SDHC cards. However, as you clearly indicated, the packaging and website, along with the user guide for the device as only indicate that the device is compatible with SD cards and no SDHC cards. I apologize again for the misinformation and I have forwarded this information to my supervisor as it obviously not clear that SDHC cards are not compatible with the device. If you experience the same issue when using and SD please let me know and I will assit you in resolving the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Team Kobo Care
Thanks for your encouraging answer!

Last edited by Artefact2; 05-08-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Artefact2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
Dividizzl
Dividizzl began at the beginning.

im confused too.... weird.
Dividizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artefact2 View Post
All right then. I'm a bit confused now because of the contradictory information.

This is the answer I got from the Kobo support:

Thanks for your encouraging answer!
Generally Kobo support is far from highly knowledgeable, Sameer knows what he's talking about (Product Manager).

I'm using a 8GB Micro-SDHC class 4 memory card with no issues.

Last edited by The Terminator; 05-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems there is a Kobo Support training issue that needs addressing.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
virgilash
virgilash began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi Artefact2, unfortunately the information you received is inaccurate. SDHC cards up to 32GB are absolutely supported on the Kobo Touch device.

With 1.9.17 we implemented some fixes for the SD card support, but none of our work was related to or affected by the size of the card.

If you're continuing to have problems with your SD card, please let me know and I will do what I can to get you sorted.

Thanks
Sameer.
I have a 16gb Lexar microsdhc class6, my kobo keeps going back to the home screen after every 2-3 pages I read, even if the book is not stored on the sdhc card..
When I took out the sdhc card, the issue stopped. I put it back, the issue was back, even if I was reading an ebook stored internally... I upgraded to 1.9.17, but it wasnt happening while being on 1.9.16 firmware... I dont mind buying another sdhc card, because this one works perfectly with both my camera and my tablet, but I need to know which 16gb or 32gb cards are 100% safe to buy...
virgilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would appreciate knowing which cards work better also. I have never tried one in my KoboTouch because it seems there's always some kind of issue with using them. Is that true?

Ideally what I want my SD card for is an alternate library to what's already on my KoboTouch. Is there a way to have the KT read the files but NOT add them to the device? Would this be too complicated?

Also, is adding the books to the card as easy as the website says? Just add them? What about using Calibre?

Any help is appreciated.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Eremar
Eremar began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilash View Post
I have a 16gb Lexar microsdhc class6, my kobo keeps going back to the home screen after every 2-3 pages I read, even if the book is not stored on the sdhc card..
When I took out the sdhc card, the issue stopped. I put it back, the issue was back, even if I was reading an ebook stored internally... I upgraded to 1.9.17, but it wasnt happening while being on 1.9.16 firmware... I dont mind buying another sdhc card, because this one works perfectly with both my camera and my tablet, but I need to know which 16gb or 32gb cards are 100% safe to buy...

same problem...
Eremar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Sameer knows what he's talking about (Product Manager)
And he's always very helpful, and will go above beyond to assist us all on this forum.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
You can have many books stored on your SD card. If you do a factory reset books are still on SD card but not on KT. Biggest problem with large book library is when you do something to corrupt the books or data base by improperly disconnecting from computer, lots of books to reload. I use calibre to manage my collection of books both to load books onto e-reader and from e-reader onto another computer.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I tried an 8gb card, same errors as other people here.
I have a 2Gb card, works perfectly, so it's something to do with SDHC.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I tried an 8gb card, same errors as other people here.
I have a 2Gb card, works perfectly, so it's something to do with SDHC.
My amature guess is that since longevity is critical, power consumption is aggressively managed and that larger, faster cards draw more power. Once a threshold is crossed, the card is shut down so that it doesn't draw excess power. Just my guess; I am not an electrical engineer.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Just adding my experience to this. I picked up a 16G SDHC Sandisk card yesterday, sideloaded my books on to it, put it in my KT and so far no problems. So... SDHC cards do work.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote