Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
kinstant
for Kindle-friendly sites
kinstant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Surfin' with my K3 in Boston

Hi everyone! Got my K3 a couple weeks ago, and bought it 50/50 to read and get on the web with 3G. Opened the browser and, and...

So I did some hunting around, and stitched together a web page to use as my home page. I've posted it at http://kinstant.com, and it links to Kindle-friendly websites - mostly sites made for mobile phones. Check it out and let me know what you think!
kinstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi kinstant and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, kinstant
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Great job kinstant. kinstant.com is a keeper.

Now that 3.0.2 gives the K3 bearable browser speed, the key to usefulness is information, which you provide.

I just tried your news links and liked what I saw with the New York Times, BBC, and Time. The CNN link provided did not allow clean pages with large fonts, and once froze up on me. The question then becomes if there is any alternate url, direct or indirect, for this site. So I tried going to:

google.com/gwt/n

and putting in m.cnn.com with images suppressed. I ran into a Google error message there with a story. Then I tried using the google.com/gwt/n service again, but all I put in the web site block was:

cnn.com

This seemed to be the charm, and I now have a CNN bookmark on my K3 that works well. Further testing is welcome.

One question comes to mind: What is the url for my good CNN bookmark? I don't know because I don't know how to determine the url behind a K3 bookmark when the url was created by navigation. However, and this could be slightly different on the K3, here is the K3-friendly url I get when using the same process on my PC with the chrome browser:

http://google.com/gwt/x?u=cnn.com&no...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Here's another K3-friendly url I have bookmarked that you could add:

mobile.twp.com

This gives good access to the Washington Post.

I leave it to someone else to seriously compare this free access with paying $11.99 a month to Amazon for the Washington Post Kindle Edition. However, in case anyone from Amazon and/or the Washington Post is reading, here is my message: The internet has gotten me spoiled to the point where I expect my news to be up to the minute. The days when I would, in the Philadelphia train station, pay $1.25 for a twelve hour old Washington Post are gone. Forever. With no going back. If you want me to consider paying for the paper again, you need to not just be complete and perfectly formatted, but also to be up-to-the-minute. Until then, kinstant.com is my preference.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-14-2010 at 09:34 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello and welcome. I just got my K3 too.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! I can't say that I use either of my Kindles to access the web...but it's nice to know it's there if I want :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
kinstant
for Kindle-friendly sites
kinstant began at the beginning.

Thanks Steve, for both the praise and the research. I've just replaced the CNN link with your Google-mobilized version - a much smoother download, if a bit less pretty.
kinstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #12
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Welcome and thanks for kinstant.com, very useful.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello kinstant and welcome to MobileRead.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Kinstant. Happy Kindling and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote