Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Anybody want to join me in a 'no buying' challenge?

We do this periodically on my exercise video board (waves *hi* to any Vfers who followed me here, I know there are some of you!) when people find they have a lot of stockpiled stuff they haven't done yet. Basically, you resolve not to buy anything for a certain duration, and you check in periodically to report on now you are doing and get support when you are faced with temptation

I will be doing a no-buying challenge for November (have Nanowrimo going on!) and possibly until the new year. I have plenty to read right now and really want to enjoy some of it before I get anything else. So, who else is in? Anybody want to join me for a formal challenge here?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd love to join, but I know I'll not pass up on a book if I really want it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'd join but I'd only be lying . I've got about 200 books in TBR pile -- both e and p -- yet I just bought some more ebooks this past weekend (and renewed my Fictionwise membership) and have about a dozen hardcover books on order and scheduled for delivery in November.

I can resist the desserts, but I can't resist a book that interests me. OTOH, I'll have plenty of reading material should I ever retire or get ill.

Sorry, but I'll pass for the sake of being true.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I can resist the desserts, but I can't resist a book that interests me. OTOH, I'll have plenty of reading material should I ever retire or get ill.
I totally agree. I can resist even chocolate, but books, no, I can't
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd join, but if I find a book I want that is on sale, I'll buy it. if it's not on sale, I can easily wait.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
The spirit is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I'll join, I have about 6000 books in my tbr pile so will not even need to think about buying anything until Jack Vance's Complete Lyonesse comes out in March.
As the challenge is not to buy, I assume d/l of free books is OK, I regularly find 200+ a month of free books to add to the tbr list. But I am not hooked and can stop anytime you can.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I'll join for November And I'll even try not to go on a buying splurge this week to prepare!
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Free books are totally okay, as is using micropay credit. Just no buying of new things coming out of money
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I'm in.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Sign me up. I'm in through the end of the year.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
I'm definitely in. I'm doing NaNoWriMo, so that should help curb my book-buying impulses a bit in November. I did this for a few months earlier this year. I said I couldn't buy any new books until I'd read 10 books I already owned, and Star Trek books didn't count. I just made it, but then I bought four books immediately.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
I'll join, I have about 6000 books in my tbr pile so will not even need to think about buying anything until Jack Vance's Complete Lyonesse comes out in March.
I just bought 3 volumes of Lyonese at Fictionwise. I've never read the series or anything by Vance but it looked interesting. Are there more than the 3 books in the series? The 3 I bought are Suldrun's Garden, The Green Pearl, and Madouc.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Free books are totally okay, as is using micropay credit. Just no buying of new things coming out of money
Using micropay is cheating! Micropay is money you put on deposit. Free, I agree, is something else.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
We do this periodically on my exercise video board (waves *hi* to any Vfers who followed me here, I know there are some of you!) when people find they have a lot of stockpiled stuff they haven't done yet. Basically, you resolve not to buy anything for a certain duration, and you check in periodically to report on now you are doing and get support when you are faced with temptation

I will be doing a no-buying challenge for November (have Nanowrimo going on!) and possibly until the new year. I have plenty to read right now and really want to enjoy some of it before I get anything else. So, who else is in? Anybody want to join me for a formal challenge here?
How will you live if you don't buy any food? Grow your own?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote