Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
KevinConner
KevinConner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Copying Works with Double Spacing "Disabled" since 7.0

EDIT: Guys I found a work around for the current issue. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time since 7.0 in copying double spaces, but now I can copy to notepad then copy to sigil and it'll copy them just fine.

Still though, it would be nice if you guys fixed whatever issue is going on. tyvm

original post below:

HI.

I have to say that I love sigil but since 7.0 you guys made a change to the system that turns all double spaces after a period into a single space when I copy and paste a file or portions of a file into sigil's book view. See, in previous versions, if you copied and pasted a work with double spaces, sigil would automatically enter the double space code: " ". Sigil no longer does this. You can still add double spaces manually or find and add, but it doesn't do it automatically.

Unfortunately, because of this change, I cannot use the current versions of sigil. The reason for that is that it is imperative that I have double spacing after periods without having to go through and manually add them all. In previous versions I was able to copy and paste these double spaces just fine without sigil "auto correcting it" to single space after a period. In fact, there are many areas where I need multiple spaces strung together in my written works.

If this is an option I can turn on and off, please inform me, otherwise I have to downgrade. That's because for me to go through and manually or even search and find all periods and spaces in my works and replace them with period and double space would take more time and effort than it is worth. I am making a formal request for you to restore the "Copy Paste, Double Space Encoding" to the current sigil version.

I sincerely hope this was not your attempt to force us to use Chicago or MLA standards, because those standards are wonky and constantly changing. They also are not true standards as many publishers reject them due to MLA and Chicago's numerous rule inaccuracies.

EDIT: minor correction - from some programs it's working, from others it's not.

Last edited by KevinConner; 05-01-2013 at 11:48 PM.
KevinConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Before you start complaining that it is now 'unusable', you can also think about it. Actually the usage of a double space sounds a bit strange, buy hey, if it is a standard that you use. The thing you want can be easily done with one search and replace. Yes, that is right, only one additional thing to do.
Search for . (that is, dot space)
Replace by: .&nbsp ;&nbsp ; (remove the spaces between p and

No RegEx S&R, just a regular.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinConner View Post
In fact, there are many areas where I need multiple spaces strung together in my written works.
How so? Can you please give an example as to why you need specific amounts of spaces between words?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
[...]

This is the perfect time to use the CODE tags:

Replace:

Code:
"Remove the spaces between p and smiley winky face"... nobody can understand what you are saying!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You're right...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Before you start complaining that it is now 'unusable', you can also think about it. Actually the usage of a double space sounds a bit strange, buy hey, if it is a standard that you use. The thing you want can be easily done with one search and replace. Yes, that is right, only one additional thing to do.

Actually replace must be only one nbsp and one regular space or else the sentence ends can't wrap which would be a bad thing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Deleted.
*This is not the post you were looking for*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
How so? Can you please give an example as to why you need specific amounts of spaces between words?
+1.

I'm dying to know why it's such a big deal, and before you ask, I've spent a lifetime being pissed-off at bad grammar and punctuation, amongst other things. Why are you so het up about the single space versus double space? And you do realize that in HTML, no one can hear your double-spaces scream? I mean, REALLY: if you put:

Code:
space-space-space-space-space
In a line of text, it will render with a single space? Not 5 spaces? HTML, she no like de extra spaces. In Sigil, what it will do is create something akin to this:

Code:
period-space-nbsp;

And then what happens is that you have an inadvertent non-breaking space clinging like a hairy puppy or kitten cling-on to the beginning of your next sentence. If it breaks, it will look odd, as you'll have that space sitting there. Really: you might want to give this some thought. If you have a real need for horizontal whitespace, there are probably better ways to achieve it, and you can, if you feel you must, do the search-and-replace that everyone here told you about...but again: it will not render that way on any reading device that I've ever seen.

So: what's the skinny?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
period-nbsp-space is clearly the correct way to code a double space at the end of a sentence to avoid a space at the beginning of a line. The double space convention was the standard for many years before HTML decided to ignore it. If someone uses that standard then they should be able to.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
period-nbsp-space is clearly the correct way to code a double space at the end of a sentence to avoid a space at the beginning of a line. The double space convention was the standard for many years before HTML decided to ignore it. If someone uses that standard then they should be able to.

Dale
Dale:

I'm not saying that they "can't," but even grammar and punctuation wonks like I have sort of "given over" on the post-period double-space. I still use it when I am actually typing (as you can easily see), but it is, to be fair, a vestigial usage from ye olden typesetting days. And despite eyes that are accustomed to seeing it for more decades than I wish to admit to, I have never noticed the omission in any ebook, FWIW.

And, yes, the correct way would be period-nbsp-space, but that's not what Sigil does, IIRC, if you try to do this in BV? It does, in fact, create it the other way round: period-space-nbsp. That was my point, for this particular poster. If he's not accustomed to s&r, which seems implicit (based on the tone of the question), then this is problematic for him. That's what I was discussing, Dale.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote