Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2023, 03:35 PM   #1081
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think it's well worth spending money on a modern translation of 19th century and earlier books...
That's an interesting point. Sometimes I think the reverse.
I read "The Adventures of Mr. Quixote" in the translation from Tobias G. Smollett.
I would never read an English book in a second language, but I often read a book in a third language translated into my second language in preferrence to my first.
Mmm, this is beginning to sound like Abbott and Costello.

Last edited by Renate; 03-27-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:42 PM   #1082
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I have a PDF strategy guide published by a German game developer. They forgot to translate a few paragraphs from German. The PDF file security doesn't let me copy the text so I can put it into a translator.
Actually the paragraph you highlighted IS translated! They just didn't remove the German version! (It's the next English paragraph). Maybe that's true for the other German paragraphs as well?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:56 PM   #1083
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This happens all the time with Amazon: I'm looking for a book with public domain translations, which I don't want. I think it's well worth spending money on a modern translation of 19th century and earlier books; overall the translation reads more smoothly and there are helpful annotations.

But even if I pull up the paper copy of the edition I want (just now it was a Penguin), clicking on the related Kindle link takes me to one of those public domain translations that someone is charging $1.99 for. Why can't Amazon get this right? In fact, I bet they have the Penguin Kindle book, but I can't be bothered to put more effort into finding it.
Add the translator to your search.

Yeah, you shouldn't *have* to.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #1084
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Why did the Barnes & Noble website make me put in credit card information when trying to buy a free book?
Did you already have an account? I recently downloaded a freebie from B&N with no info required but I did have an (inactive) account from ages ago. If there was a CC attached to it I can guarantee it's no longer valid.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:50 PM   #1085
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Did you already have an account? I recently downloaded a freebie from B&N with no info required but I did have an (inactive) account from ages ago. If there was a CC attached to it I can guarantee it's no longer valid.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
I created my account just a week ago.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:22 AM   #1086
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
This might not actually be a rant, since it could be doing me a favour, but it does highlight a bête noir of mine - historical romances that don't bother trying to be historical. For that reason, this blurb in a debut work offered at Koobo might have exactly the opposite effect to that intended

Quote:
‘Sharp, modern and absolutely delicious’
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:18 PM   #1087
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That awkward moment when an Overdrive loan becomes finally available and you have no memory of putting it on hold to begin with
Old 03-29-2023, 09:13 PM   #1088
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That awkward moment when an Overdrive loan becomes finally available and you have no memory of putting it on hold to begin with
I've had that happen with ereaderIQ alerts.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:02 AM   #1089
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
My library card expired (sometime in 2020) and I couldn't renew it (due to a policy change) at the Free Library of Philadelphia and I still get emails saying a title I recommended was purchased, and a book I had on hold is available for checkout (even though I never access the account anymore).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:16 AM   #1090
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
My library card expired (sometime in 2020) and I couldn't renew it (due to a policy change) at the Free Library of Philadelphia and I still get emails saying a title I recommended was purchased, and a book I had on hold is available for checkout (even though I never access the account anymore).
Oof. Can you turn off the emails from that library?
Old 03-30-2023, 05:57 PM   #1091
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Oof. Can you turn off the emails from that library?
Good idea, I'll have to check.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:08 PM   #1092
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

When the plot seems to be resolved yet you're only 80% of the way through a book.

Maybe around 10% of the time this is some super-long chapter preview of another book. The other 90% it's because one of the characters decided to be an idiot and drag out the plot even more.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:43 PM   #1093
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
When the plot seems to be resolved yet you're only 80% of the way through a book.

Maybe around 10% of the time this is some super-long chapter preview of another book. The other 90% it's because one of the characters decided to be an idiot and drag out the plot even more.
Previews get deleted here before reading with all the other fillers (ads, review begging etc). So in my case it's always the idiot characters.

I've had books where there were 6-8 preview chapters from several different books. No idea what the author/publisher was thinking. Were they that desperate to sell more books??? That's one of the reasons no book will get on my ereader without editing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:32 AM   #1094
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Previews get deleted here before reading with all the other fillers (ads, review begging etc).
Previews were worth while nearly 20 years ago before sample downloads, look inside etc. Maybe still some value on paper, but I decided pointless now on ebooks. Just a blurb, link and QR code to site with samples is enough?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:10 AM   #1095
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Previews were worth while nearly 20 years ago before sample downloads, look inside etc. Maybe still some value on paper, but I decided pointless now on ebooks. Just a blurb, link and QR code to site with samples is enough?
I delete all ads, blurbs and links to other books. If I like the author, I'm perfectly capable of finding their other books myself, and if I don't, no ad will make me buy more.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote