Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Query about moderation in the Vent & Rant Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You're probably right. And I posted too, without thinking hard enough about where I was posting.

OK, time to knock off the health plan comparisons, please.
Harry:

Not to be ...obdurate, or anything, but: as "politics and religion" are verboten subjects, here on the V&R thread--and I agree with that, by the way, 100%--may I ask why Katsunami's and Free's discussion, about how their respective governments regulate and tax their products--which happen to NOT be health care, at least, for the first part of their discussion--is "okay?" When the healthcare discussion about the COSTS of our respective health plans, and the dismal service, thereunder, is not?

Both discussion are, for all intents and purposes, the same. Governments, regulation, taxation, and burdens on those who are actually PAYING taxes, or PAYING for their healthcare--and everyone else's.

I don't see a difference. It's a difference sans a distinction, is it not? Or is the Politics/Religion application only when it's something that's in the news? Or a topic that will play into an election? How do we know that the price of wood, or registration of shooting weapons, or anything else that Kats & Free mentioned, isn't a hot topic in their respective elections?

Hmmm? Why one, and not the other? Just seeking clarity.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I admit that pointing out the coffee tax (or the lack hereof in NL as opposed to GER) as an example for "every country has bonuses and maluses" was a rather ill choice outside PR
mea culpa.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hitch: Let me preface this with: IANAG (I am not a Greenie). Given that, I would speculate that the request had more to do with duration than anything else. One can (and we often do) vent and/or rant about the vicissitudes of our respective governments and some of their decisions. But once it goes past a certain point, it becomes a discussion, not a rant, and more properly belongs in P&R. If I were a greenie (and I certainly have been in other venues), I would have stopped the discussion at nearly the same place (maybe 8-24 hours later). The hope is always that it proves it's really just a V&R topic by dying out.

Some topics go straight to P&R, and should, because they have a proven track record of being incendiary. Others end up there because they degenerate. But still others, such as this one, aren't inherently incendiary, and can usually be allowed to die a natural death without anyone getting their knickers in a knot or getting feelings hurt. But then, sometimes, it requires a Green Ink message to remind everyone. That's OK, that's the right and proper role of our beloved mods, and I, for one, respect and appreciate what they do, and (usually) agree with their actions. (This is not an invitation to discuss any that I or you might not have agreed with.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A gentle reminder that editors' judgments are not to be discussed in thread. You may take comments to the Feedback Forum.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Harry:

Not to be ...obdurate, or anything, but: as "politics and religion" are verboten subjects, here on the V&R thread--and I agree with that, by the way, 100%--may I ask why Katsunami's and Free's discussion, about how their respective governments regulate and tax their products--which happen to NOT be health care, at least, for the first part of their discussion--is "okay?" When the healthcare discussion about the COSTS of our respective health plans, and the dismal service, thereunder, is not?

Both discussion are, for all intents and purposes, the same. Governments, regulation, taxation, and burdens on those who are actually PAYING taxes, or PAYING for their healthcare--and everyone else's.

I don't see a difference. It's a difference sans a distinction, is it not? Or is the Politics/Religion application only when it's something that's in the news? Or a topic that will play into an election? How do we know that the price of wood, or registration of shooting weapons, or anything else that Kats & Free mentioned, isn't a hot topic in their respective elections?

Hitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Do a coupled of subthreads in here rightfully belong in the sand box?
Not withstanding the typo (induced by spellcheck), "couple of sub-threads" was indeed referring to that thread as well.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I would say CRussell was explaining their reasoning, not questioning their judgment. It made lots of sense to me, and was helpful (not that I minded in the first place).

Oh well, never mind .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I would say CRussell was explaining their reasoning, not questioning their judgment. It made lots of sense to me, and was helpful (not that I minded in the first place).

Oh well, never mind .....
C'mon, folks, I did ask nicely. Let it go. As an aside, my comment was meant for everyone in general and the first poster of a meta-comment in particular - who was not Charlie.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
C'mon, folks, I did ask nicely. Let it go. As an aside, my comment was meant for everyone in general and the first poster of a meta-comment in particular - who was not Charlie.
Uh... That would be me, and thanks Paul.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A gentle reminder that editors' judgments are not to be discussed in thread. You may take comments to the Feedback Forum.
... where they will be ignored.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:10 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moved.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You need to examine the reason behind the rule and apply a bit of common sense.

Comments that could be interpreted as political but that are not contentious and don't generate a heated thread will, in general, be ignored. No-one likes heavy-handed moderation.

But if the rate of comments increases, and it seems that members are going to get into a heated political discussion, then action should be taken.

HTH
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You need to examine the reason behind the rule and apply a bit of common sense.

Comments that could be interpreted as political but that are not contentious and don't generate a heated thread will, in general, be ignored. No-one likes heavy-handed moderation.

But if the rate of comments increases, and it seems that members are going to get into a heated political discussion, then action should be taken.

HTH
Thank you for the courtesy of the reply.

Best regards,
Hitch
Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hitch, I'm a little puzzled why you addressed your original reply to me. I haven't been involved in this conversation until now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hitch, I'm a little puzzled why you addressed your original reply to me. I haven't been involved in this conversation until now.
Sorry, Harry!

I can only blame a new med I'm taking--I brain-farted names. I knew who I was addressing--just my fingers went the other direction.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Hitch
Old 07-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No problem. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote