Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #61
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
Hi, I'm a new ereader user and a new Kobo reader. I would definitely like the ability to remove books from I'm Reading list without using the Kobo application (which assumes you will only acquire books through the Kobo application.)

I definitely agree that I'd like the ability to create genre as the list of books gets very long (as well it should stay on by author if I set it that way).

I would like to be able read while the device is charging. Definitely be able to increase the contrast as my over 50 eyes would prefer it.

I also agree with the poster above why does it want to reindex your books?

Last edited by Purrceyz; 05-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #62
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I don't if it's been posted, but I'd like the PowerOff button to act as a sleep button when pressed and as a TurnOff button when long pressed.
Both shall show the book cover, but the former will allow for a much faster "unsleep" (as the device is actually asleep (ie key-locked).
I was thinking the same thing this morning. That would resolve my issue with always going back to the "I'm reading" page. Essentially the only reason to shut it off is to lock the keys.

Last edited by dantaipan; 05-06-2010 at 02:41 PM.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #63
Margok
Margok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My wishes:
1. To be able to read books in other languages somehow =__=
2. Highlighting and searching would be veeeeeeeery helpful
3. Easy delete from i'm reading list
3. To solve problem with scaling

>_<

Otherwise it's perfect.
I hope they'll fix it.

And if they do...I wonder if they would charge something for it? O.O

Last edited by Margok; 05-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Margok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #64
kyall
kyall began at the beginning.

I just got my Kobo today (Vancouver: Robson / Granville store has many black ones in stock, which is what I bought) and I am happy so far.

It syncs with the bluetooth on my laptop (Macbook Pro) which is awesome, but it doesn't automatically reboot or process content that I can send to it.

It'd be great if, after a Bluetooth sync with my Mac, if the Kobo would process. I'll have to figure this out in the meantime...
kyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 AM   #65
backlyt
backlyt began at the beginning.

Device: kobo ereader
yup.

I agree with most people here.

In the interests of trying to be concise, I won't go into all the things I like about it. Let's just say... everything else.

I love the simplicity of the device and I hate to say it, but in that simplicity it reminds me of the first ipods compared to the other mp3 players of the time. Over bloated and complex compared to simple and elegant.

Just to sum up what I've read so far and add my 2 cents...

Open source is a big one for me. The ability to create a real community has worked really well for other companies. And either way, some intrepid young hacker will crack it open sooner or later.
I know there's the whole DRM thing, but let's be realistic here.

A clock/date in the side bar.

Overall pages for the whole book.

PDF reflow. Most pdfs are unusable.
Or a tool to help format pdfs. There used to be a wicked one for Palm OS.

Text scaling issues with some books.

Button combo to lock Navigation buttons.
I don't really care about "sleep" mode. Remember people, there is no power draw to keep a page. I do care about pulling my reader out of my bag to find it in some other book or on some other page and it takes waaaay to long to boot back up if I turn it off.

Dog ear/bookmark corners (and a way to go back to them easily for reference)

Jump to page

Sort by genre, create folders. If I can theoretically have 5gb of books and articles on this thing, some way to organize them would be damn useful.
I wouldn't want to try and do that from the device though... which brings us to the computer software.

PPC please?
Sync the desktop software (and through the cellphone software) with RSS feeds (preferably google reader)

Instapaper!!!

It's annoying have to enter a new bluetooth passcode each time you connect to the device. When I hit sync, I want it to just work.

For those who want more contrast, sorry, that's the hardware. Just like real paper, the only way to increase contrast is to hold it under brighter light.

There should be a plug to close up the SD card slot. One that includes a reset pin.

I noticed that sometimes after unplugging the device, the light stays red until i do a hard reset.

Let's remap the buttons.
The "Back" and "Display" buttons are pretty useless, since "home" does the exact thing as "back", and is better at it in my opinion. Even "Menu" can be accessed from the D-Pad.
"Back" would be more useful as a "last book" switcher, kinda like the one on your TV remote. That way you could quickly switch from, let's say, a fiction read and an article or something.
Display can be reached easily from "menu" and font size can be changed with the D-Pad. Furthermore, I don't think anyone feels the need to quickly change between Serif and Sans Serif, however awesome those 2 fonts are.

Seriously Kobo. If you guys actually read this, know that I have way more ideas.
So if you're looking to hire a slightly OCD, gadget obsessed technophile as a kind of part time consultant, then I'm your man.
And I live in Toronto.

Sincerely
-Serge

Last edited by backlyt; 05-07-2010 at 02:22 AM.
backlyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #66
DWalker
DWalker began at the beginning.

Why so many books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I added over a thousand of books...
As someone who has added so many books, I'd like to understand the need to do this, what advantage does it offer to carry around so many books?

And with the option of adding an additional 4GB that means potentially over 5000 books. Why would anyone need that?
DWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #67
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalker View Post
As someone who has added so many books, I'd like to understand the need to do this, what advantage does it offer to carry around so many books?

And with the option of adding an additional 4GB that means potentially over 5000 books. Why would anyone need that?
Because they want to have access to those books when they feel like accessing them?
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #68
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Having your library in your pocket/backpack/etc has its advantages

Research, Lectures, Debates, Cross Referencing, Public Speaking, etc.

Also great if you're travelling and will not have access to a PC, the Cloud, or your collection at home for a while (ie. Foreign Missions, NGO work, Globe Trotting, Business trip, Military tour of duty, hermitic life, etc)
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #69
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

It's interesting watching this thread develop; somebody's going to put the kitchen sink in here at some point. Personally, I like it that clocks, dictionaries, RSS feeds, etc. etc. are absent.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #70
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
LOL. Good point corona.

I agree with the minimalist approach of the KOBO device, but having the option to customize or activate more advanced features and functionality on the device would add value to an already good product. The features themselves could be hidden in menus so "out of the box" firmware would have the minimalist features, but allowing users to tweak the device to their liking.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #71
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Firmware and battery issues

On another thread here, battery charge issues are being discussed. While I understand the wisdom of letting the machinery figure out the battery's characteristics and proclivities, I'm really thinking about taking my Kobo back because the battery doesn't hold a charge and the red light indicating the battery's charged doesn't come on at all now.

But... could this be a firmware issue? Should I therefore be patient a while longer, i.e. until a firmware update is available?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #72
HandyAndy
HandyAndy began at the beginning.

No new features, just bug fixes.

There will be plenty of time for enhancements in future updates. For this first update I would rather see an early release with a quick fix of known issues rather than wait for new features to be ready before existing problems get fixed.

I say this because I think the Kobo is an exceptionally good product with the potential to revolutionize the e-book reader market. For a new product, the bugs that have come to light in the first week are comparatively few and minor. But for the reputation and success of the Kobo it's important that new users to get a rock-solid experience straight out of the box - particularly the mainstream majority who will expect it to 'just work' and aren't interested in coming here to find that fixes are just around the corner.
HandyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #73
chutz
chutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Landscape mode would be nice, but it's not exactly critical.
chutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #74
mcm3311
mcm3311 began at the beginning.

Multi Level TOC

I have noticed the Kobo does not support multi level Table of Contents.

Newspapers usually have a topic heading and then articles appear when the heading is selected.
The KOBO just strings it all together in one list with many pages.

This would also really help with something like the Bible.
You could then actually be able to select a book of the Bible and then a chapter. As it is now you have to go through 300 pages of index.

Kobo really needs to fix some of these things fast or the regular non tech people buying these readers are going to be very frustrated and the reader could get a bad name.

Should have never been released without being 1st certified by Adobe.

Hmmmmm is KOBO still looking at this forum? If so when can we expect a firmware update?
mcm3311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #75
corona
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
No new features, just bug fixes.
Hear, hear!